Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Good idea to buy a Rickenbacker on Ebay?  (Read 1429 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Good idea to buy a Rickenbacker on Ebay?
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:58:27 AM »

I'm seriously considering buying a Rickenbacker bass 4001 or 4003 mapleglo. But the problem is that its so expensive. My credit isn't good enough to get accepted as a platinum member on Musician's friend so I can't pay monthly. I can afford it at full...but if I pay full I will be so broke I won't have money to do anything. So I'm considering buying one on Ebay. I can probably find them cheaper than Musician's friend, but buying it online is risky. Do you think its a good idea to buy it on ebay or do you guys think I should continue saving so that I can pay it full on Musician's friend and have enough money to live off of?

Bobber

Re: Good idea to buy a Rickenbacker on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:12:27 AM »

Ask RICKENBACKER (Larry) first!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:32:49 AM »

If I was in the same situation, I would continue saving. eBay is a bit risky to buy something so expensive and breakable. But, that might not be right for you. Do you currently have something you can play while you're saving up? Or do you want one right now?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 02:28:19 AM »

I agree with Mairi here.  eBay is a bit risky for sight-unseen buying.  I can give you two recommendations for used guitar purchases:

Gruhn Guitars (Nashville, TN)  http://www.gruhn.com/

and

Mandolin Brothers (Staten Island, NY)   http://www.mandoweb.com/

I have bought several guitars from both establishments.  They are internationally known for their fine used guitars and fair sales policies.  Both will give several days "on approval" for you to examine the instrument and have it looked at by a luthier.  Guitars I have purchased from both have been conservatively graded and fairly priced.  One of my patients is a renowned luthier who has examined my purchases during the approval period.  He found my instruments, some dating back to the 50s and 60s, to be excellent examples of the guitar models.

Don't be put off by the prices listed on their websites.  They list their most select inventory.  Call them and let them know what you're interested in.
I can stay till it's time to go

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »

Only if you can play it first somehow or their is a good returns policy. Rickenbacker Larry may be able to set you up well but I know he has been going through a tough time lately.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:06:28 AM »

Wow, this is a tough one.  I know George Gruhn is good, but he's expensive!  But you'll get a first-rate instrument from him.  

I just looked at some of the stuff of ebay now.  Several really nice looking ones, but then you don't know if you've got intonation or mechanical problems.  

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 04:48:55 AM »

Hey gang, how are things here? First let me say, that I am flattered that that members think to refer to me for my opinion. I really do appreciate it. Now about that Ric Bass, while it's true that you can buy on line or ebay this will still cost a buck or two and from my experience most guitars play, feel, and sound different. Kinda like buying  shoes, ya wanna try'em on first. PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT ! I can't stress that enough to people, Especially at Rickenbacker prices used or new!  I have bought on ebay and the guitar super mega-lo mart stores on line, but it's been low buck items I could trade out of If I did not like them with out  loosing my shirt. My opinion Go to a dealer or guitar show where you play it and get a good listen and feel of the bass. Play it, if you can, through the same kind or type of amp you have. That way there will not be any suprise's or disappointments. If you let me know what area you are in I might be able to point you in the direction of some place that you could deal with. Nothing personal against Mandolin Bros. or "ol'drive the price up" George Gruhn both of whom I have dealt with at shows and are fair in their dealings, you'll tend to pay top price from either. I suggest a guitar show is the best place to buy, not only are the people their to sell, but they also really don't want to lug the stuff back to their homes or stores. You really do get a better deal at the shows on gear. There is one store in New Jersey Called "Pick of the Rics" he had a lot and seemed like you could deal with him and that all he had was Rickenbackers and Hofners. Also there is another fellow named Mike Reeder, he owns "Mike's music" in Cincinnatti both are on line and in the magzines. But I have had dealings with Mike and he would be my choice. I am a luthier as well, although I don't know how "renowned" I am but I know what to look for and have examined stuff from Mike and He is also a straight shooter and he won't break you. You should go buy a copy of "Vintage guitar" magazine, tons of sellers in there and the most current show list as well. Anyway good luck , if there is anything I can help with let me know.

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 56 queries.