Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sixties compilations  (Read 7280 times)

Olly

• One And One Is Two
sixties compilations
« on: August 11, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »

Does anyone know the reason for the fact that despite the beatles being practically the biggest band of the sixties, they never feature on sixties compilations, although songs written by them do and bands such as "the plastic ono band" do.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
Re: sixties compilations
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:06:17 PM »

I think beacuse they are too big as to being on the same level as other artists. They have their own compilations.
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Olly

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:19:34 PM »

but why would songs written by them be included?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 04:27:44 PM »

I think it's because most of the bands on those compilations had just one, two or maybe three really big hits and their main source of income right now are those compilations.

The Beatles on the other hand don't need that cause their albums are still selling well.

I think that's it.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:33:32 PM »

I agree.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 07:28:55 PM »

I think its due to licensing issues with EMI and such. I dont think that they would allow one of their cash cows to be included on the compilation records when The Beatles catalog is interesting enough that people still buy it up. People arent going to go out and buy an entire 'The Archies' record just for 'Sugar,Sugar', so compilation albums make sense for them.

I dont think you'll find Zeppelin or Floyd or any huge band like that on compilation albums (i'm probably wrong) because they just dont need them.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 08:32:03 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1092239751,s=5 date=1092252535]I think its due to licensing issues with EMI and such. I dont think that they would allow one of their cash cows to be included on the compilation records when The Beatles catalog is interesting enough that people still buy it up. People arent going to go out and buy an entire 'The Archies' record just for 'Sugar,Sugar', so compilation albums make sense for them.

I dont think you'll find Zeppelin or Floyd or any huge band like that on compilation albums (i'm probably wrong) because they just dont need them. [/quote]

Nope.  You're right.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »

This all makes sense to me.

There are a lot of bands, however, which I am really vague on, so I don't know if they just didnt' have many hits or I'm just oblivious to them.  For example, what songs, other than Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes, were performed by Edison Lighthouse? That's the only one I know  :(

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 01:51:03 AM »

The Beatles are really picky about their own catalog......"Happiness Is A Warm Gun" was used in Bowling for Columbine, and I think it was the only time that one of the band's songs featured in a movie that wasn't theirs and wasn't someone covering them....Yoko decided to allow it because the film is anti Gun violence, which obviously lead to John's death.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 03:06:50 AM »

[quote by=Frightwolf link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1092239751,s=7 date=1092256575]This all makes sense to me.

There are a lot of bands, however, which I am really vague on, so I don't know if they just didnt' have many hits or I'm just oblivious to them.

Olly

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 10:46:59 PM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1092239751,s=3 date=1092241664]I think it's because most of the bands on those compilations had just one, two or maybe three really big hits and their main source of income right now are those compilations.

The Beatles on the other hand don't need that cause their albums are still selling well.

I think that's it.[/quote]

the kinks, they had loads of massive hits and they still feature on just about every one

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 11:30:24 PM »

The Kinks were NOT the Beatles!

They did not have the premium cachet nor the amount of exceptional and accepted musical genius.

Olly

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 11:36:59 PM »

they might not have been as good as the beatles but they certainly made an impact

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 01:03:17 AM »

columbia has compilations for every year and there are beatle songs on them...........help is on 66 as is simple simon.its a cover tho not the boys..

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 03:33:58 AM »

[quote by=Olly link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1092239751,s=12 date=1092353819]they might not have been as good as the beatles but they certainly made an impact[/quote]

Oh, absolutely!  The Kinks were great!

But they were not THE top pop group of the 60's decade.

And the comps will only play 2 Kink songs, their biggest hits: All Day and All Of The Night and You Really Got Me.

The Fabs had many, many more.  If they were even able to license some, what would they choose?  There is such a wealth of period Beatle tunes they'd end up having to put out an entire Beatle comp!  Like "1".  ;-)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 03:38:49 AM »

no dedicated follower of fashion????????

Olly

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 10:18:49 PM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1092239751,s=14 date=1092368038]

Oh, absolutely!

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 11:49:47 PM »

Great songs all, but you won't find them on compilations.  Nor will you find Victoria or Apeman.  Maybe Lola. 

It's a shame but there ya go.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 11:22:06 AM »

i love apeman............and he loves me!!!!

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 03:29:08 PM »

Yes, those are nice songs, very nice I would say, but still no one can compare to the worst song by the Beatles.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 78 queries.