Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Northern Songs  (Read 2467 times)

Bobber

Northern Songs
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »

NORTHERN SONGS: THE TRUE STORY OF THE BEATLES SONGWRITING EMPIRE is a new book by Brian Southall, set for publication in early October.
Here are some more details from the press release:

"This is the story of how Lennon and McCartney lost the most valuable song-publishing catalogue in the world. This is a staggering saga of incompetence, duplicity and music industry politics.
How did minor singer turned publisher Dick James get to handle Lennon and McCartney's songs?
Why did Michael Jackson's stake in the legendary catalogue cause a rift with Paul McCartney?
Why does Paul McCartney now own just two Beatles songs?
It also includes interviews with George Martin, Paul McCartney, the late Dick James' son Steven, Yoko Ono and those in the know from Apple Corp, DJM and EMI."

The 352-page book will be published in hardback on 6th October 2006 by Omnibus Press.

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Northern Songs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:31:17 PM »

Quote from: 63
Why does Paul McCartney now own just two Beatles songs.
I thought they were more: 4 or so ... their two singles from 1962 (before they recorded their first LP in February 1963) ... wasn't Northern Songs Ltd. founded in 1963, just before the Please Please Me LP was out?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »

I thought it was just Love Me Do and PS I Love You.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:54:43 PM »

Quote from: 360
I thought it was just Love Me Do and PS I Love You.

Possibly ... I just thought that Please Please Me / Ask Me Why was released and on charts before the company was founded  ??):

Jan 11, 1963 UK single release: `Please Please Me'/`Ask Me Why'.  
Feb 23, 1963 `Please Please Me' number 9 (UK Melody Market chart).  
Feb 22, 1963 Brian is made an opening director of Northern Songs Limited.  
Feb 25, 1963 US single release: `Please Please Me'/`Ask Me Why'.  
Feb 28, 1963 Brian and Dick James officially found Northern Songs Ltd.  

from here: http://dmbeatles.com/history.php?year=1963

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »

I used to have a guitarbook in which apparently all Northern Songs are collected. It does not contain the later songs of George (since The White Album, and Don't Bother Me isn't in it either) plus the early stuff like Love Me Do, PS I Love You, Please Please Me and Ask Me Why. From Me To You is in it, plus the other songs of the first album, with the exceptence of Do You Want To Know A Secret...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:12:54 AM »

Do You Want To Know A Secret was not there?  ??) ...

George and Ringo let their Northern Songs contracts expire in 1968, with George starting Harrisongs and Ringo founding Startling Music. so their songs, since then, shouldn't be included in the catalogue of Northern Songs ... but Don't Bother Me should ...

Apart from Do You Want To Know A Secret ? and Don't Bother Me what Bobber tells fit with my thoughts.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »

Quote from: 297
I thought they were more: 4 or so ... their two singles from 1962 (before they recorded their first LP in February 1963) ... wasn't Northern Songs Ltd. founded in 1963, just before the Please Please Me LP was out?

We can check them in this list:
http://www.wingspan.ru/bookseng/coleman/coleman10.html

... that I've posted here:
http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-news/m-1159963335/  (reply 12)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:00:09 AM »

Interesting stuff.  Boy, George Martin missed out on the deal of a lifetime.  Shows the integrity of the man who thought it would be a conflict of interest.  Geez, nowadays, the producer/label would have the song royalties locked in before they ever started talking about recording.

What an innocent age.

It also reinforces that Brian was a bit of a weasel--for all he did for the Beatles.  

As for PRIVATE James, his name says it all.  I can't believe that ass would have the gall to tell Lennon about "No Reply"--"hey that's your first complete song that tells a story."  Uggggghhhh!  I hope Paul takes a p*ss on his grave every now and then.

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 48 queries.