Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Lennon Exploiting  (Read 10202 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: The Lennon Exploiting
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

Quote from: 216

"Fudge Peace Sign" pieces?  ;D

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

I think that's brilliant. Whirled Peace. Excellent.

Or should it be 'Whirled Piece'?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:20 AM »

Quote from: 682
What's he done and said over the years? Fill me in  :P

It's a vibe I get watching him in interviews and little things he's said. I can't possibly document what I've seen/read over the years, but I'm sure you can search and judge for yourself. I did say that it was MY hang up. And I meant that. Overall, I feel he is insincere, a bit affected, and very much a creation of his mother. But again, that's only my opinion based on what I have had access to read/hear over the years. And again, my hang up, my opinion. But I'd be more than happy to hear what you all think of him and why! Maybe I'll learn something. I'm always open to that. And I'm not being sarcastic. I think it would be a great discussion.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:44 AM »

Quote from: 483
I think that's brilliant. Whirled Peace. Excellent.

I thought it was a rather pedestrian play on words, but I guess it could be considered clever on some level. Plus, it really trivializes the message. In my opinion. But maybe I'm being too uptight and should lighten up on these sort of things.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 05:22:48 AM »

ok time to be real folks............the john lennon i knew would have been proud to be remembered forever and ever.wether you think fondly or otherwise.just being remembered by the world is the battle won!!!is it not?i sure he could give two sh*ts....esp in he current condition......with that i bid you a sweet good night......good night......or good morning to some...post you later...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2008, 05:30:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure he'd have been remembered just as well without all the hokey products, but that's just me. I mean, we still know who Mozart is don't we? Pretty sure there was never a Mozart ice cream or sneaker. I think Paul and George will also be an example of this. Remembered solely for their incredible [size=18]ART[/size]. Unless we start seeing Harrison holy necklaces and McCartney eyebrow tweezers sometime soon.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure he'd have been remembered just as well without all the hokey products, but that's just me. I mean, we still know who Mozart is don't we? Pretty sure there was never a Mozart ice cream or sneaker. I think Paul and George will also be an example of this. Remembered solely for their incredible [size=18]ART[/size]. Unless we start seeing Harrison holy necklaces and McCartney eyebrow tweezers sometime soon.

i was thinking of george's pigmeat. yoko would have said yes.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »

Unless we start seeing Harrison holy necklaces and McCartney eyebrow tweezers sometime soon.

??) ??) ??) :o

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 05:24:33 AM »

Quote from: 748

i was thinking of george's pigmeat. yoko would have said yes.

We hope George Harrison's message of spirituality and enlightenment will be spread by eating Harrison's Little Piggies in a Blanket! Made from 100% pure piggie meat and good karma. Don't take to long, long, long, to go out and buy them! You'll be so at peace within you and without you, you won't even mind a visit from the taxman. Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare.

Now how different is that from the actual Lennon ads? Besides the fact that it isn't a horrible reality.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »

^ Wow. You've even got the tedious cuteness of the real thing down pat. I don't know whether to be impressed or frightened.  ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »

I want a John Lennon fairy for the top of my Christmas tree (wink1)(tongue6)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »

Quote from: 971

One that when you plug it in sings the line, "imagine there's no heaven" over and over. For the ironically hip tree.

And face it, isn't that why we buy Lennon products other than his music? In hopes that some of his wit and coolness will rub off on us? That somehow because we have on a Lennon necklace or sneaker, we're somehow like him? Isn't that what people are thinking? Really? Just wondering.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

How about some Elvis Christmas ornaments?

Or this?

God help us if Yoko ever starts taking pointers from the Presley Estate.  ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »

One that when you plug it in sings the line, "imagine there's no heaven" over and over. For the ironically hip tree.

And face it, isn't that why we buy Lennon products other than his music? In hopes that some of his wit and coolness will rub off on us? That somehow because we have on a Lennon necklace or sneaker, we're somehow like him? Isn't that what people are thinking? Really? Just wondering.

I've made you a Lennon fairy Sandra Happy Christmas ,anything Yoko can do, i can do better lol
(santa4)(teeth1)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 04:13:09 AM »

I actually have a Beatles ornament for my tree :)  (It's their cartoon alter-egos)

As for Sandra's question, when I wear my Lennon shirts (or even another article of clothing that says Give Peace A Chance), I feel like I might be part of some exclusive group.  I don't really feel like a sell-out or expliting John.  It feels almost like I have a piece of someone who has influenced my life so much with me whenever I wear my shirts.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 04:56:39 AM »

Sondra, I truly do agree with you.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 05:13:31 AM »

Quote from: 1447
I actually have a Beatles ornament for my tree :)  (It's their cartoon alter-egos)

As for Sandra's question, when I wear my Lennon shirts (or even another article of clothing that says Give Peace A Chance), I feel like I might be part of some exclusive group.  I don't really feel like a sell-out or expliting John.  It feels almost like I have a piece of someone who has influenced my life so much with me whenever I wear my shirts.

People are missing the point. I'm not against ALL products put out by bands. That's hardly the case. I have some cutesy Beatles stuff myself. But, there's a difference between shirts and products that advertise the band or artist and hokey products exploiting dead artists. Artists have been selling shirts and stuff like that for years. It's like ad space or something. Using their music and lyrics in ads, on shoes and to sell ice cream is a bit different. It's also HOW it's done. I mean, if the artist approves it, then fine. That's their choice. Making a dead artist a brand name though is a bit questionable. That's all I'm saying. It's exploitation. Sorry, but that's the bottom line.

Here's a hint at how Sean may feel about all the Lennon marketing. I think I might have a new respect for him.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »

I personally think t-shirts , pictures and badges is about as far as i would go , everything else just looks tacky .
I think once you open this market up the sky's the limit .
Would you want a Lennon doormat or even worse the Lennon  bed-in adult toy range ?
Keep it focussed on the music , thats where the quality lies ?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »

I personally think t-shirts , pictures and badges is about as far as i would go , everything else just looks tacky .

What, so you're not an official member of the KISS Army? I mean, KISS condoms and coffins, that's not at all tacky is it?

Anyway, that's not so much exploitation as it is selling out. Which is a whole other issue people never agree on. A whole OTHER, not a whole NOTHER.  ??)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »

What, so you're not an official member of the KISS Army? I mean, KISS condoms and coffins, that's not at all tacky is it?

Anyway, that's not so much exploitation as it is selling out. Which is a whole other issue people never agree on. A whole OTHER, not a whole NOTHER.  ??)

KISS are tacky full stop never seen the appeal of them .
Maybe Lennon condoms could work thinking about it " The 50 Billion Acorns Tied In A Sack " range lol
I just don't like where it's all going Sandra , from Lennon underpants to ice cream , it's not about John it's about making money .
He deserve's better than becoming a tacky trinket .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 84 queries.