Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper  (Read 26225 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
Get rid of nothing. P Writer and Rain would still fit on a vinyl album, with all 14 original Revolver songs.

Still, a 16 track album? This ain't 1963 you know. ;)
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 08:54:22 PM »

Hey kev - how about a separate thread for a Revolver remake? Could get pretty confusing ...

i did, and only Apple-Beatle replied. :'(
don't follow leaders

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 08:55:35 PM »

Oldies But Goldies had sixteen. The point always is, have you got the space on the record? And - for Beatles - can we fill it with quality?

Revolver + PW + Rain would be pretty strong ...

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

i did, and only Apple-Beatle replied. :'(

I missed it!

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 08:58:09 PM »

Get rid of nothing. P Writer and Rain would still fit on a vinyl album, with all 14 original Revolver songs.

Good point -- Revolver lasted little over a half an hour.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:44 PM »

Quote from: Frightwolf

Good point -- Revolver lasted little over a half an hour.

wow, I did not know that.
OK then.
don't follow leaders

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 11:42:13 AM »

Revolver + PW + Rain would be pretty strong ...

...and Sgt. Pepper with PL/SFF/I Am The Walrus would have been..    :o :o :o :o

..BEATLES beyond infinity!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 11:48:36 AM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

...and Sgt. Pepper with PL/SFF/I Am The Walrus would have been..
don't follow leaders

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 07:57:07 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

...and Sgt. Pepper with PL/SFF/I Am The Walrus would have been..

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 08:02:31 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

Agreed. And The White Album with no Rev#9 and closing with Hey Jude!

Rev 9 is where Lennon's head was at. It's an interesting, well-constructed collage. Ditch it for Jude? - no way.

If you're going to ditch anything for Jude, try Martha My Dear & Rocky Raccoon - for me, those two songs are a bit of a waste of space. Imagine if they had not surfaced officially, and turned up only on boots! We'd all be saying, "good decision boys, not to release THOSE songs"!

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 09:26:04 PM »

Rev 9 is where Lennon's head was at. It's an interesting, well-constructed collage. Ditch it for Jude? - no way.

If you're going to ditch anything for Jude, try Martha My Dear & Rocky Raccoon - for me, those two songs are a bit of a waste of space. Imagine if they had not surfaced officially, and turned up only on boots! We'd all be saying, "good decision boys, not to release THOSE songs"!

Martha My Dear and Rocky Raccoon were excellent songs.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »

OK: Rocky's story line is a total cliche. Nice tune though. But the story makes it a bit of a bore, frankly.

And Martha My Dear is almost certainly NOT about Paul's wretched sheep dog. I have always thought it felt more like it was addressed to Jane Asher (a common interpretation when the WA came out). I feel that Paul may have used the name of Martha (a female dog's name) to say that Jane was a "b i tc h". In any case, the song is to me a weakie.

Post edited as b i t c h was censored to b****. I inserted spaces to fool the censor.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »

Hey Jude, or Revolution 9?

Put it like this: there are many grand and moving love songs, but only one Revolution 9. I can afford to lose Jude.

I'll take Revolution 9, ta very much.

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

Hey Jude, you b i t c h.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 10:31:40 PM »

OK: Rocky's story line is a total cliche. Nice tune though. But the story makes it a bit of a bore, frankly.

And Martha My Dear is almost certainly NOT about Paul's wretched sheep dog. I have always thought it felt more like it was addressed to Jane Asher (a common interpretation when the WA came out). I feel that Paul may have used the name of Martha (a female dog's name) to say that Jane was a "b i tc h". In any case, the song is to me a weakie.

Post edited as b i t c h was censored to b****. I inserted spaces to fool the censor.

Well, we can assume all we want about Martha My Dear, and that's clever of you to point that out (and I don't mean that sarcastically -- that's quite an interpretation :)), but until Paul changes his mind, I would say it's about his dog.  And I can't really debate this one way or the other any further.

As far as Rocky Raccoon goes, I like the Country-Western twist to it, about how he fights in a showdown, gets shot, and then comes back to try again.  I don't find many songs like that in the Beatles catalogue anyway, so it's a very welcome addition.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2005, 10:33:18 PM »

Hey Jude, or Revolution 9?

Put it like this: there are many grand and moving love songs, but only one Revolution 9. I can afford to lose Jude.

I'll take Revolution 9, ta very much.

It isn't "love," per se -- it's to Julian saying that everything will be alright in the long-run.  I haven't encountered many songs with such an incredible, anthemic coda such as Hey Jude, especially not in the Beatles' catalogue, especially in regards to how it can unite an entire crowd so well.  And remember, you won't find many Wild Honey Pies either -- doesn't mean it's good.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 06:21:39 AM »

Sorry Frightwolf, I seem to be naysaying you all the time!

But Hey Jude is NOT sung to Julian. It started off as Hey Julian, hey Jules as we all know, as Paul tootled along in his car to visit Cyn & Jules, but the song advanced a LONG way from there.

How can it not be a classic love song? Go out and get her, etc etc. Read the lyrics. Sure it's a love song: one of the great ones too.

A bit more about Martha My Dear. How can it be a song sung to his dog? Listen to the lyrics: "you have always been my inspiration" "don't forget me". Put it this way: it's MUCH MORE likely to be a song to Jane Asher than to his dog!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 08:25:18 AM »

Rocky Raccoon is underrated in my opinion. That song is unique. Who cares about cliches. I could say that about a lot of their songs. Especially the early ones. But I still love them!! Anyway, has anyone ever heard covers of Rocky? I heard Phish do it and this alternative guy whose name escapes me at the moment. They were both awesome and the audiences were way into it. It's got a lot of potential. I mean, I love it the way it is, but I think a lot of Beatles songs could be played on alternative or modern rock stations if bands did cool covers of them. Then the people who never listen to classic rock stations would discover who these true geniuses are!!! More rambling. So sorry!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2005, 02:19:04 PM »

Have to say i quite like Martha, the melody and arrangement are very catchy (horrible word I know, but you know what I mean). I never get too hung up on Pauls lyrics (I think he just plays with words that sound nice together), I think with his songs its best to go for the total package
Rocky R I like too. Its funny in the same way as Bungalow Bill (which I like, but would drop b4 I'd drop Rocky.)
Rev #9-stick it on Zapple John. It don't belong on a Beatles record.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2005, 02:34:32 PM »

Sorry Frightwolf, I seem to be naysaying you all the time!

A bit more about Martha My Dear. How can it be a song sung to his dog? Listen to the lyrics: "you have always been my inspiration" "don't forget me". Put it this way: it's MUCH MORE likely to be a song to Jane Asher than to his dog!

I read that it was to his dog too. Martha was the name of his english sheep-dog. I mean you have some points Ydoll but would he say 'Hold your head up you silly girl'? about Jane?  Was'nt he just splitting up with Jane around this time? Maybe the dog was the only love he was feelin at the time. Someone who was unaffected by his notoriety. Anyway, Paul is a songwriter...he takes bits from here and there and then....BINGO!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 78 queries.