Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phoenix Spacecraft Lands On Mars  (Read 7760 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Phoenix Spacecraft Lands On Mars
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

Quote from: 185
Oh yeah baby. I love the arguement when people say "well life on other planets is probably not something we'd recognise" yet expect us to believe that they are similar enough to develope metalurgy, physics, engineering and build remarkably human like spaceships.
Like BM says there is a possibility of some life on other planets, but as for it building ships etc....

People can't imagine anything other than themselves, except maybe themselves with funny ears or light sabers flying mechanical contraptions. That sort of thing is the least likely possibility, I think.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »

Quote from: 1161
Personally I'm all for the Roddenberry sort of thing myself, and not just because of all the women in scantily clad bikinis......

Silver bikinis, Geoff!     ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:31 PM »

^^ That's right, let's stick to the known facts. ;D

People can't imagine anything other than themselves, except maybe themselves with funny ears or light sabers flying mechanical contraptions. That sort of thing is the least likely possibility, I think.
Exactly. For practical purposes, the reasons most aliens look like humans is because the show producers are casting humans for the roles. The reasons so many of those aliens have doofy foreheads is because the prosthetic for the forehead does not greatly limit the actor's ability to express emotion, which happens mainly on the lower part of the face. But those are the aliens that people see on TV and in movies, so those are the aliens people keep expecting to see.

I was being only slightly facetious when I was talking about giant amoebas in space. I think it's far more practical to warp space and pop out where you want to be than to put yourself in a tin can and travel for generations in it to find someplace nice to settle. Although that all makes great fiction-- especially when the new ships are faster than the old ships so the later arrivals get there first. Cool to think about. We do what we can do, and our imagination is limited by our culture and technological development.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 05:57:15 PM »

Quote from: 483

I don't expect 'aliens' to look like humans, in fact if we ever met any we may not even recognise them as living life forms.

I have my suspicions about this specific can of Chef Boyardee I've just warmed up, it doesn't seem like all the other cans. It seems somehow ... aware ...

I know it's silly, but maybe I should just put it back and eat another one instead. I would not want to be the first one to commit extraterrestrial murder, much less then be accused of eating the victim. Oh no, I've got all kinds of Chef Boyardee in my fridge, if they were all sentient, it would make me look like some kind of  intergalactic Jeffrey Dahmer (chainsaw)

That is awfully farfetched though, and I am pretty busy now. Still ... No, I think I'll just stop being silly and eat this one.

Well, here goes ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »

Quote from: 551
^^ That's right, let's stick to the known facts. ;D

Precisely.

I can stay till it's time to go

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »

LOL! That's exactly the episode I was thinking of. I had this friend who, whenever he came over, put on "The Gamesters of Triskelion". He had a huge crush on Shahna.

Alexis, go ahead and eat. Just remember the salad scene in Alien. That's all I'm saying...
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »

Salt. Need salt.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »

Salt. Need salt.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »

i believe there is life on other planets,maybe not in our immeadate universe but out there....there maybe even be something occuping the same space as me at a different vibratory rate.....there are somethings about clearly not of this earth....

douglasleee

• One And One Is Two
  • One and One and One is Three.
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »

Geoff - (If the electro's in my brain just would fire 100% of the time -- haha)

What would you think, for example, if one of these "ufo's" were like a "dron" aircraft, sent by an alien, but it was
"unmanned" and just sent to see what was on Earth - sending results back to the place of origin? Granted, the
travel alone is still in your favor. Not much different from the Phoenix, but ....... (P.S. I haven't seen all of "The
Blackadder" or 'Mr. Bean" but I'm "catching up" as quick as I can!!)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »

Quote from: 551
We do what we can do, and our imagination is limited by our culture and technological development.

Arthur C Clarke quoted this from JBS Haldane on more than one occasion:

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

That's it exactly, I think.  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »

Quote from: 1285
What would you think, for example, if one of these "ufo's" were like a "dron" aircraft, sent by an alien, but it was
"unmanned" and just sent to see what was on Earth - sending results back to the place of origin? Granted, the
travel alone is still in your favor. Not much different from the Phoenix, but

Have a look at the Haldane quote above. A robot probe is the sort of thing we'd do: it's not out of the question, of course; but my point is that whatever's out there in space, assuming there's anything like intelligent life in the sense we mean it, wouldn't be doing the same sorts of things were doing: they're aliens, after all, the end products of a completely separate line of evolutionary development. They probably wouldn't think like us at all or produce a technology we'd even recognize as such.  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »

Mars' Water Appears To Have Been Too Salty To Support Life

ScienceDaily (May 30)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 06:06:30 AM »

Camera On Arm Looks Beneath NASA Mars Lander

ScienceDaily (Jun. 1)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

Mars' Water Appears To Have Been Too Salty To Support Life

ScienceDaily (May 30)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 03:55:09 AM »

just as i thought.........isn't that an audi track on the right???

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »

I've seen a UFO , i saw it with my mum and she never touches the weed (jumping)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »

Quote from: 971
I've seen a UFO , i saw it with my mum and she never touches the weed (jumping)

Never mind UFO's; when I see one of these schlepping up the road, I'll be convinced.  ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »

Never mind UFO's; when I see one of these schlepping up the road, I'll be convinced.  ;D

Mother!!!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »

This is interesting:  :)

Largest Crater In Solar System Revealed By NASA Spacecraft

ScienceDaily (June 26) — New analysis of Mars' terrain using NASA spacecraft observations reveals what appears to be by far the largest impact crater ever found in the solar system.

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Mars Global Surveyor have provided detailed information about the elevations and gravity of the Red Planet's northern and southern hemispheres. A new study using this information may solve one of the biggest remaining mysteries in the solar system: Why does Mars have two strikingly different kinds of terrain in its northern and southern hemispheres? The huge crater is creating intense scientific interest.

The mystery of the two-faced nature of Mars has perplexed scientists since the first comprehensive images of the surface were beamed home by NASA spacecraft in the 1970s. The main hypotheses have been an ancient impact or some internal process related to the planet's molten subsurface layers. The impact idea, proposed in 1984, fell into disfavor because the basin's shape didn't seem to fit the expected round shape for a crater. The newer data is convincing some experts who doubted the impact scenario.

"We haven't proved the giant-impact hypothesis, but I think we've shifted the tide," said Jeffrey Andrews-Hanna, a postdoctoral researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge.

Andrews-Hanna and co-authors Maria Zuber of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Bruce Banerdt of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., report the new findings in the journal Nature this week.

A giant northern basin that covers about 40 percent of Mars' surface, sometimes called the Borealis basin, is the remains of a colossal impact early in the solar system's formation, the new analysis suggests. At 8,500 kilometers (5,300 miles) across, it is about four times wider than the next-biggest impact basin known, the Hellas basin on southern Mars. An accompanying report calculates that the impacting object that produced the Borealis basin must have been about 2,000 kiolometers (1,200 miles) across. That's larger than Pluto.

"This is an impressive result that has implications not only for the evolution of early Mars, but also for early Earth's formation," said Michael Meyer, the Mars chief scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

This northern-hemisphere basin on Mars is one of the smoothest surfaces found in the solar system. The southern hemisphere is high, rough, heavily cratered terrain, which ranges from 4 to 8 kilometers (2.5 to 5 miles) higher in elevation than the basin floor.

Other giant impact basins have been discovered that are elliptical rather than circular. But it took a complex analysis of the Martian surface from NASA's two Mars orbiters to reveal the clear elliptical shape of Borealis basin, which is consistent with being an impact crater.

One complicating factor in revealing the elliptical shape of the basin was that after the time of the impact, which must have been at least 3.9 billion years ago, giant volcanoes formed along one part of the basin rim and created a huge region of high, rough terrain that obscures the basin's outlines. It took a combination of gravity data, which tend to reveal underlying structure, with data on current surface elevations to reconstruct a map of Mars elevations as they existed before the volcanoes erupted.

"In addition to the elliptical boundary of the basin, there are signs of a possible second, outer ring -- a typical characteristic of large impact basins," Banerdt said.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080625223036.htm
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 78 queries.