Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Freedom Of Speech  (Read 10260 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Freedom Of Speech
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »

I think Japan's flag is pretty cool, and i always liked the Union Jack. Canada's flag is pretty boring to me. It doesn't have a lot of history and looks too much like a product logo or something.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »

I like Canada's flag.  It's eco-friendly and simple.  I bet it's the only flag with a leaf on it.  Japan's rising sun always seemed a little bit arrogant.  "Hey, we're the rising sun, MF!"  Canada is saying, "Hello there, friend, we're a maple leaf.  Can I get you some tea?"

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »

Quote from: 218
I think Japan's flag is pretty cool, and i always liked the Union Jack. Canada's flag is pretty boring to me. It doesn't have a lot of history and looks too much like a product logo or something.

I think Canada's flag is a masterpiece of compromise and branding. You've got the tricolor shape to appease the French and the completely neutral maple leaf. It's instantly recognisable and a good answer to a thorny problem. NZ could use this as an example.
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »

The Union Jack always seemed little bit schizophrenic to me.  Too many crossing lines and colors--I'm starting to feel hypnotized.  Yes, I will be a good subject.  Yes, I will mind the gap.  

walrusgumboot

• Bootleg Members
  • A Beginning
  • Watch the footwork baby !
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »

Hi everyone ...thanks for welcoming me to the forum...

The Union Flag , to give it its correct name ( it's only a Union Jack when flown from a boat or ship) is actually an

amalgam of 3 flags, Scottish ( Blue  " X"cross) English ( red cross) and Welsh ( Red X cross)...personally I always

thought it looked it's best as Pete Townshends jacket circa 1965!!! ;D :D
Tuned to a Natural E...Happy to be that way

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:16 AM »

Quote from: 1029
Hi everyone ...thanks for welcoming me to the forum...

The Union Flag , to give it its correct name ( it's only a Union Jack when flown from a boat or ship) is actually an

amalgam of 3 flags, Scottish ( Blue  " X"cross) English ( red cross) and Welsh ( Red X cross)...personally I always

thought it looked it's best as Pete Townshends jacket circa 1965!!! ;D :D

;D ;D ;D Welcome mate!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »

Quote from: 1029
   The Union Flag is actually an amalgam of 3 flags, Scottish ( Blue  " X"cross) English ( red cross) and Welsh ( Red X cross)...personally I always thought it looked it's best as Pete Townshends jacket circa 1965!!! ;D :D

You sure? I'm pretty confident that the red diagonal is St Patricks cross representing Northern Ireland. Wales isn't represented on the Union Flag.
And its best use is Pete Townsend? - sir, I do not concur

don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »

Here's how it works:

So you can see, Wales is not represented in the flag. This is because when James VI of Scotland became James I of England, the two Kingdoms were merged, and the flag became that of Great Britain. At that time Wales was part of England. The current flag dates from 1801, when The Kingdom of Great Britain was merged with The Kingdom of Ireland, to form The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland. I hope you're all paying attention. I shall be asking questions later!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »

Very hypnotizing . . . I mean enlightening.

But thanks for the information. What other music forum can you get this level of sophistication from?  Not Led Zeppelin's, I think!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 05:10:54 PM »

This was in the news recently - a Welsh MP has called for the welsh dragon to be incorporated. Here is one suggestion

Personally I think this puts too much emphasis on the dragon. I would be happy for it to appear in the upper left quandrant.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »

The flag should have been rediesigned when Wales became a Principality. The one in your post is absurd. If they're having the dragon, we should have the three lions, the Scots; the thistle, and the Irish...the potato!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 05:37:54 PM »

Quote from: 483
The flag should have been rediesigned when Wales became a Principality. The one in your post is absurd. If they're having the dragon, we should have the three lions, the Scots; the thistle, and the Irish...the potato!

I can understand the welsh wanting some representation on the national flag. I don't think the fact that it wasn't done earlier negates the need for some compromise now (it would be the decent and proper thing to do.)If you don't use the dragon (and it doesn't sit very easily with the cross design) what would you use?
NZ is going through the same thing. The current flag represents only a part of the nations inhabitants. I don't like the popular Koru alternative - it just looks ugly and is just as alienating. I think we/they should go with something neutral like The Silver Fern (same as Canada chose the neutral Maple Leaf to counter the same problem). Understandably, for minorities these things matter more than they do to the dominant culture. (Me and you)
The NZ Koru flag
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »

Quote from: 185
This was in the news recently - a Welsh MP has called for the welsh dragon to be incorporated. Here is one suggestion

Personally I think this puts too much emphasis on the dragon. I would be happy for it to appear in the upper left quandrant.

just use the background of the welsh flag at the bottom ?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »

If they're having the dragon, we should have the three lions, the Scots; the thistle, and the Irish...the potato!
And what, pray tell, is wrong with that? Come on, photoshoppers! Get to work designing the new all-inclusive flag!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »

Quote from: 568
I suspect that one could also publish a book denying the Holocaust here without fear of legal reprisal; probably even a book trying to justify pedophilia, or overthrow of the US. I believe the bright line is that one can't be reasonably perceived as inciting such illegal activity. So you could write a book saying that the overthrow of the US is the right thing to do, but you could be penalized if it were reasonably thought you were trying to get others to do it in an illegal fashion (violence, etc.).

Things have changed somewhat here over the past 7 years, but that's a different story, covered in other threads on this forum.

It is illegal to publicly advocate the violent overthrow of the United States Government. If you wrote a book saying that it's "the right thing to do", you could probably be charged with sedition.

Here's a link to a description of the law that made it illegal, the Smith Act (or as it's formally known "The Alien Registration Act of 1940"):

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/smithactof1940.html

It's a felony, I believe.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »

Here's how it works:

why do you have 3 different flags for one. greedy!

well, on the other hand we include all 50 states.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 02:13:31 AM »

Ok............"Freedom of Speech"???  I think America has it all WRONG with the "freedom of speech" we're to have..........why have we, the USA, have the "political correctness" crap going on???  Oh, we can't say THAT or THIS or WHO or WHAT........know what I mean???  I think the 1970's were more liberal than what we're living today.  I WANT to excercise my "freedom of speech" what the first amemdment in our constitution says I can.........and...."bear arms" is we want on another note..........

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »

Quote from: 977
Here's how it works:

why do you have 3 different flags for one. greedy!

The three different flags are for three different countries. The Union flag is for the UK.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »

Here's how it works:

So you can see, Wales is not represented in the flag. This is because when James VI of Scotland became James I of England, the two Kingdoms were merged, and the flag became that of Great Britain. At that time Wales was part of England. The current flag dates from 1801, when The Kingdom of Great Britain was merged with The Kingdom of Ireland, to form The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland. I hope you're all paying attention. I shall be asking questions later!

I had no idea that Great Britain and The UK were not synonymous terms. Geesh, I wonder what else I'm comfortably wrong about!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »

Excuse me, are Scotland, England and Wales three different countries? Or parts of Great Britain? And where`s Wales` flag? What about Northern Ireland and its flag? it is a part of Britain, isn`t it? Why is Ireland there? Oh, so many questions, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 83 queries.