Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best  (Read 6795 times)

I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:50:54 PM »

My favorite BEATLE (and solo) films in order of preference not sequential order :

1) Let It Be 1970---I've seen it of course in all it's bootlegged forms-- and I think the OFFICIAL release date is LONG overdue
2)A Hard Day's Night 1964--Richard Lester's first foray into Beatle-related cinema, and boy is it a masterwork.
3)Magical Mystery Tour 1967--Macca being the principle "director" and mastermind behind this odd, psychedelic, post-Epstein era sojourn into the abstact, I always loved the amateurish feeling to it. Fave scenes : John (as delightfully evil waiter) shoveling the spaghetti onto fat lady's plate, and the bus scene when "Aunt Jessie" implores Ringo not to get "historical" AND OF COURSE the "Death Cab for Cutie" sequence...."take it off !!!!!!!!"
4)Help ! 1965--The Fab in Austria, Bahamas, London. Great film and sophomore Beatles/Lester collaboration--in glorious COLOR too lol. "Ticket To Ride" sequence rocks (by '65 standards)and so does the "stonehenge" venue for "The Night Before" & "I Need You"
5)Yellow Submarine 1968--Love the later included, "Hey Bulldog" section, not too mention the overall Peter Max-like animation. CUTTING EDGE for '68. By the way, there WERE Blue Meanies sighted outside the theater when I saw it back in '68 in Pittsburgh, Pa. They were promptly taken out by a S.W.A.T team shortly afterwards.

John Lennon 1967--"How I Won The War"--another Richard Lester piece .The BEST anti-war film ever made IMO (along w/ Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket", of course)Michael Crawford--later of "Phantom Of The Opera" fame co-stars w/ John. The movie's  locale (coastal Spain)must've inspired Lennon because when he got back to London in Fall of '66 he had "Strawberry Fields" tucked under his arm --recorded just a short time later at Abbey Road. I also LOVED the Warner Brothers release "Imagine"--this is THE most revealing documentary about ANY Fab. I love the scene when the young American stalker/homeless dude tries to enter Lennon's English estate and is greeted by John himself, who is rather sympathetic to this hapless man. He even offers him a meal (John was such a compassionate person when he wasnt railing against a given cause) Also the scene in the Montreal hotel room where Lennon & friends (Smothers Brothers & Tim Leary too ? lol) later recorded "Give Peace a Chance". This depicts conservative cartoonist the late Al Capp (who obviously didnt share John & Yoko's politics)trying to insult Lennon & Ono's "Bed Peace" campaign and was summarily tossed out. A CLASSIC scene. (I can't BELIEVE Kapp had the gall to demean Yoko--calling her a "that" or some such other epithet in FRONT of John....even got Derek Taylor angry!!  You GOT to see this film if you havent already!!!) I wish Mal Evans had been there to kick the guy's a**.

Paul McCartney 1984--"Give My Regards To Broadstreet"--The plot is weak (a stolen master tape? gimme a BREAK, Macca), but some of the song sequences are awesome (NOT SILLY LOVE SONGS, THOUGH..ugh...) but his re-vamped "Eleanor Rigby" & "For No One" are truly beautiful---and so are the Victorian boating scenes w/ Linda, Ringo & Barbara. Some parts look like they're out of a Dickens novel...slightly anachronistic, but it still works. Like MMT, this film is generally considered a flop, but for Fab completists, you NEED it for the music scenes...and PAUL's CAR !!!!!!!!haha

Ringo--I mentioned already Magic Christian (w/ the Badfinger soundtrack)(and how can a movie w/ Sellers in it be bad ?...look at Dr. Strangelove..) Also loved Ringo in Candy (the gardener ?? lmao !!) and his tour de force in "Caveman" !! Ringo at his pre-historic, satirical best.

George --The Concert For Bengla Desh 1971--this is such an amazing concert film. I had it for ages on VHS, but now thankfully on DVD. The Dylan section knocks me out. The illusive (and reclusive) Zimmerman showing up for pal George's charity plea was a thrill. So does Billy Preston. Awesome. Another highlight is George's solos w/ Slowhand.
"Concert For George"--reverential tribute to Harrison. A really great evening that must've been...and Dahni Harrison (Hari's son) is a DECENT musician himself (in the Julian Lennon sense)--also, isnt Dahni a DEAD RINGER for his old man...? spooky.  

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:58:50 AM »

why do you hate Universe?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:31:35 AM »

Quote from: 829
I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best

I'm afraid I don't understand? What's 'universe'?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:01:03 AM »

^^ Across the Universe...the musical that's told through the songs of the Beatles

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:01 AM »

Quote from: 682
^^ Across the Universe...the musical that's told through the songs of the Beatles

Ah, I see. Thanks for enlightening me.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 04:15:23 AM »

it's great...you should def check it out BlueMeanie! It should be playing at a theater near you.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:57:09 PM »

Quote from: 682
why do you hate Universe?

because like "Cirque du Soliel's" "Love", it's another pseudo-Beatles project aimed at the mighty $.

bobbydylanlover

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:32:48 AM »

I don't believe its all about the money..
But for I know, it could be, but even so, it is a wonderful movie.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »

because like "Cirque du Soliel's" "Love", it's another pseudo-Beatles project aimed at the mighty $.

As you started a thread saying you hated it, it would be handy for the rest of us that haven't seen it, if you could give us a little review.

And I wouldn't call 'Love' pseudo-Beatles. It has been done with the full co-operation of The Beatles, and Apple. Did you like the 'original' American album releases? Could they not be called a 'pseudo-Beatles project aimed at the mighty $'. Done without the approval or co-operation of the band.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »

Quote from: 483

As you started a thread saying you hated it, it would be handy for the rest of us that haven't seen it, if you could give us a little review.

And I wouldn't call 'Love' pseudo-Beatles. It has been done with the full co-operation of The Beatles, and Apple. Did you like the 'original' American album releases? Could they not be called a 'pseudo-Beatles project aimed at the mighty $'. Done without the approval or co-operation of the band.

"Across The Universe", is a hodge-podge of music videos in my opinion--sung by ppl that aren't the Beatles. Must we like every cover version of songs we associate w/ the original entity that created it ? For example, even Bono, who I respect greatly(for his own U2 material)doesnt neccessarily enhance a Lennon/McCartney composition just because he's a major rock star himself...we are not automatically obliged to adore every interpretation, unless of course you count yourself among the vast legions of mindless sycophants who accepts everything you see as Beatle-related on face value. I'm more discerning than that.

AND as for "Love", I"m well aware that this "stage show" contains ACTUAL BEATLE recordings-- which, admitedly, differentiates it from "Universe", but in this instance I was speaking of PRODUCTION VALUES---NOT MUSIC. How do jugglers and acrobats convey the more cerebral elements of some of the later period Lennon/McCartney/Harrison songs ? --the ONLY song that comes to mind that lends itself to this theme is perhaps "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite"---but does "Nowhere Man" and songs of this ilk??  IMO it's a ridiculous premise. And as to your further contention that it's thoroughly acceptable because it has the approval of the band and Apple....uh..don't you mean the approval of 50% of the Beatles and Apple...? Last time I checked Lennon & Harrison were dead. How do we KNOW John or George would have approved???? Can we be so audacious to assume we know what two deceased artist would feel..? Come now..isn't that just a TAD presumptuous??? Just because Yoko and Olivia gave their assent to these two wretched shows doesnt mean their late respective spouses would've not found fault (at least thematically)with them. ("wretched shows" is my term, of course, and I'm well within my rights to deem them as such if I choose)
For me the last PURE Beatle production was LET IT BE...anything subsequent are merely paltry attempts to bask in a reflected glory not of their own making...THAT honor ONLY belongs to JPGR..collectively.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »

How do we KNOW John or George would have approved???? Can we be so audacious to assume we know what two deceased artist would feel..? Come now..isn't that just a TAD presumptuous??? Just because Yoko and Olivia gave their assent to these two wretched shows doesnt mean their late respective spouses would've not found fault (at least thematically)to them. ("wretched shows" is my term, of course--and I'm well within my rights to deem them as such)

Erm... it was George's idea!! The show arose from discussions between George and Guy Laliberte; (one of the founders of Cirque), in 2000.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »

"Across The Universe", is a hodge-podge of music videos in my opinion--sung by ppl that aren't the Beatles. Must we like every cover version of songs we associate w/ the original entity that created it ? For example, even Bono, who I respect greatly(for his own U2 material)doesnt neccessarily enhance a Lennon/McCartney composition just because he's a major rock star himself...we are not automatically obliged to adore every interpretation, unless of course you count yourself among the vast legions of mindless sycophants who accepts everything you see as Beatle-related on face value. I'm more discerning than that.

OK, I was just asking if you could tell us something about the film, seeing as you started a thread about it and never actually mentioned it in your post. It would have been informative for the rest of us, if you've seen it. There was no need to go on a rant about cover versions. And then start getting mildly insulting.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

perhaps...but that doesnt count in LENNON does it ? (also ...do we assume Harrison would like the FINISHED work ? ...maybe we can dig him up and ask him...opps, sorry...he's in the Ghangis River in ash form, my mistake)

NOR does it OBLIGATE every Beatle fan to fawn over these things...does it ? I'm a devoted Beatlemaniac but it doesnt make me obsequious.

dont we decide here at this site (for example)the relative personal value we place on each of the Beatle albums ?  I think each fan can ALSO decide for themselves which Beatle-related project we think worthwhile or not as well.

once again, I hate Universe....and LOVE. (but it's only one opinion so its no big deal)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:03:58 PM »

NOR does OBLIGATE every Beatle fan to fawn over it...does it ?

I didn't say it did. I asked you about the damned film. And so far all you've done is rant over the soundtrack, and Love!! Have you actually seen it the film?

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »

OK, I was just asking if you could tell us something about the film, seeing as you started a thread about it and never actually mentioned it in your post. It would have been informative for the rest of us, if you've seen it. There was no need to go on a rant about cover versions. And then start getting mildly insulting.

insulting ???  No, sorry...wrong. The "you" I was referring to was GENERAL (the world at large--Beatle fans in the macro-sense) --wasn't speaking about anyone in particular.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 04:24:57 PM »

I didn't say it did. I asked you about the damned film. And so far all you've done is rant over the soundtrack, and Love!! Have you actually seen it the film?

Yes, or I wouldn't have such a strong opinion about it. Forgive me but I just think of it as another example of opportunism, that's all. The film's director was on a late night PBS talk show recently here in the States called "The Charley Rose Show"--and she spent nearly have the interview defending her film against vehement criticism which I vigoriously share. So you see, I'm not the only one who has seen it and found it revolting. It's all a matter of taste. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even me   lol.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »

insulting ???  No, sorry...wrong. The "you" I was referring to was GENERAL (the world at large--Beatle fans in the macro-sense) --wasn't speaking about anyone in particular.

No worries. :)

On the subject of cover versions though, I don't really have a problem with them. All good artists get covered, it's their fate for having written a good song. Most of them are sh*te, as we know, but their have been some crackers; Joe Cocker, EWF, Adrian Belew, CSN, Ben Folds. I don't think it's sacrilegious to cover a Beatles song. If I don't like it, then I don't listen to it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »

Yes, or I wouldn't have such a strong opinion about it. Forgive me but I just think of it as another example of opportunism, that's all. The film's director was on a late night PBS talk show recently here in the States called "The Charley Rose Show"--and she spent nearly have the interview defending her film against vehement criticism which I vigoriously share. So you see, I'm not the only one who has seen it and found it revolting. It's all a matter of taste. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even me   lol.

Absoluely true.

Is it the story, the acting, or just the music? Forgive me, but there's been no publicity for this film here.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 05:03:44 PM »

Absoluely true.

Is it the story, the acting, or just the music? Forgive me, but there's been no publicity for this film here.

No, it's never only the music...it's probably just the concept as a whole. And no, I don't have any right to knock the acting either--which really wasnt that bad. I guess the problem lies w/me. Being a first generation Fab fan, I find myself seriously protective of their original recorded works...and I admit now, it's probably very wrong of me. Sorry if I came off "b****y", wasnt directed at you--it's entirely directed at the parasites (and many Yanks among them)who still try to make a buck off JPGR (directors, producers, etc..)I keep thinking of Allen Klein...I know, that's nuts, but I remember how rapacious he was in the old Apple disputes. With him it was money first, art second. I should learn NOT to be so automatically dismissive of any new Beatle project...maybe one day someone will create one I'll really love. As for now, the ONLY thing I liked about "Love" was the 5.1 surround-sound upgrade of the original Beatle master recordings. I give Sir George Martin's son high props for his work on that. But I still cant warm up to the stage production. The props seem incongruous to me. "Universe", on the other hand, I just don't "get" at all.

Me ? opinionated ?  nah............LOL

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 05:07:38 PM »

Me ? opinionated ?  nah............LOL

Ha! I'm also first gen. I actually like Love. It's different. Thought of in the context of a show soundtrack, it's OK. And some of it's damned clever. It's no substitute though. What did you think of Backbeat?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 74 queries.