Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charlie Watts Blasts Beatles and Elvis  (Read 9518 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Charlie Watts Blasts Beatles and Elvis
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »

Charlie Watts Blasts Beatles and Elvis

Jan 29th 2010

by Julian Marszalek

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/29/charlie-watts-blasts-beatles-and-elvis/

Charlie Watts and Paul, 1967

What's up with the Rolling Stones? As they fast approach the anniversary of their half century of playing together, guitarist Keith Richards recently hopped on the wagon after decades of pummeling his body and now drummer Charlie Watts has told an Austrian newspaper that he's always hated the music of Elvis Presley and 60s rival the Beatles.

The drummer, who is currently playing a series of concerts in Austria with blues-jazz ensemble The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie (named after the musicians in the band - pianists Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters, drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Dave Green), said, "I've never been a big Beatles fan.

"Of Ringo, yes, but not of the music. And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. Miles Davis and Fats Domino, yes, but Elvis, no."

The legendarily non-plussed Watts also said the he wouldn't be bothered if the Stones stopped rolling. "Honestly, I couldn't care less if it were over."

He added, "Jazz is my passion. This is the music that I really want to do. The Stones are merely an annoying pastime."

However, the Austrian tour's promoter, Willi Turk, was adamant that the Rolling Stones would be back in action soon.

He said, "The ABC & D concerts are only possible because the Stones are just taking a break. But when Mick Jagger calls, Charlie is ready. "

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
Re: Charlie Watts Blasts Beatles and Elvis
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »

sounds bitter... beatles were better then stones anyways... elvis was crap I agree with him there.
Make easy money just by searching!

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »

The Stones are an annoying pastime ... yeah, that PAYS HIS BILLS!!!  ::) Bitter or what?? I my opinion, Stones were pants. So was Elvis, he makes me itch. Hooray for the Beatles forever!
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »

I love the stones though too just saying I think the beatles are better but I don't rate elvis probably because how he treated john lol.
Make easy money just by searching!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »

He's always been a jazz guy and isn't really that much into pop music. Big deal. People want to see him keep playing in the Stones and apparently he enjoys it enough to keep doing it. So that's cool.

I've also played in a band that made music that I personally would never listen to at home. But I was making music, recording albums and vinyl singles, playing really cool shows and touring in countries that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to go to. The fact that I wasn't a huge fan of our own songs was a very minor detail.

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »

At least, he’s honestly stating what he thinks. The Beatles were never unanimously loved by everyone in the universe.

However, I wonder what would have happened if he had voiced the same opinion about The Beatles before they gave the Stones their first commercial hit in late 1963. :P ;) ;D :o 8) ha2ha
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »

However, I wonder what would have happened if he had voiced the same opinion about The Beatles before they gave the Stones their first commercial hit in late 1963. :P ;) ;D :o 8) ha2ha

My guess: "Either way, thanks for the royalties!"  ;D

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.

At least we know one thing: everyone loves Ringo! :)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »

yeah at least we know that!  ;)  ;D

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »

Everyone except Piers Morgan.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

??? :o

This is totally ludicrious! First  of all there used to be an online interview with Charlie Watts called The Drinking Man's Rolling Stone  from a 1973 magazine called,Zig Zag in which he said The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were friends and a lot alike as people. He also said what made The Beatles  so great was they made 1  great album and great single after the next!

The Rolling Stones were good friends with and fans of The Beatles and Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him. Mick Jagger  also went up on the train with them to Bangor in August 1967 to study meditation with the Maharishi for the first time and he was with them there when they got the call their manager Brian Epstein was found dead. ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:54:07 PM by fanofthefab4 »

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »

A few days ago I  got an email back from Tony Keys of a web site called,rocksbackpages and he said he does have a December 1973 ZigZag Charlie Watts interview. He said  if I want it he would scan it and send it to me for 30$ British $. But I don't want to buy it I thought that they posted old rock interviews on their site for free.

Also,

on  a   fan  site  for  the  rock  group  Yes,  called, Yesfans.com ( who  are  also  big  Beatles  fans    themselves   and  they  recorded  and  played  live  several   Beatles  songs   and   member  Rick   Wakeman  did   a   whole  Beatles   tribute  album  in  2000)  they  had  a  topic   called  Are The Beatles Overrated? from  2004-2008   and  over  74%  of  the  Yes  fans   voted  the  first  choice, No  Of  Course   Not   They  Were   Not   Overrated   How  Can   You   Even   Ask   This   Question.

And   one   of   the  Yes   fans  posted   in  early  2008," The  Greatest   Band   of    all   time  overrated?  Phuck   no!"

And   another   Yes   fan  quoted    him  and   said   I   second   what   he   said! Another  Yes  fan  quoted  his  own  post  from  a  year before  when  he had  said  he  thought  The  Beatles  were overrated  and  he  now  quoted his old post  with  an  I'm  stupid emoticon  and he said  how  could  I  have  been  so  stupid,of course  The Beatles  are  not overrated.

Also,  guitarist  Frank  Marino   of  the  hard  rock group  Mahogany  Rush   said  in  several  online  interviews  that   he  hates  The  Rolling  Stones  but  he  likes  The  Beatles,Jimi  Hendrix,and  The  Doors etc. And  Dave  Navarro   of   the  rock  group  Jane's  Addiction  said  in  Guitar  World  in  1991  and  1996  that  he  has  always  hated The Rolling Stones  and  he  will  never  play  one  of their records.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:43:59 PM by fanofthefab4 »

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »

Also  Mick Jagger was such a big Beatles fan that in May 1967 when The Beatles were recording their song Baby You're A Rich Man he came there and stood on the sidelines to watch and listen to them recording it. His name is also on the tape box and he likely sang at the end verses.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:59:21 PM by fanofthefab4 »

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »

As  The  Rolling Stone  Album  Guide  said,not  liking  The  Beatles  is  as  perverse  as  not liking the  sun.  And  Ozzy  Osbourne  said  not loving  The  Beatles  is  like  not  loving oxogen. And  a guy  who  runs  Keno's  Classic  Rock n Roll    Site  and who  runs  a  Rolling  Stones  and  John  Lennon  fan  site   says  in his review of The Beatles 1967-1970 Red Album  damn  The  Beatles  were  one  great  group  and  he  said  in  his  great  review  of  The  Beatles  1962-1966  Red  album, that   if  you  don't   love   or  at least  like  The  Beatles  and  their music  then  you  are  not   a true rock  fan   and  more  than  likely  will  never ever  get  it.

He also says that John Lennon showed  on Paul's rocker Get Back why he should have played lead guitar more often because he did such a good job of it. He also said he played a pretty good slide guitar on George's For Your Blue and he said John also played one of the first and best acid guitar parts on his great rocker Revolution.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

I don't any Rolling Stones albums I had Hot Rocks on an 8 track when I was 13 but I never liked The Rolling Stones that much at all. I started to collect Beatles albums when I was 9,I got my first Beatles book for my 11th birthday and I had every Beatles album by age 13. I was born after 1964 too.

Also Mick Jagger said that Keith Richards loved The Beatles and loved their beautiful melodies and harmonies and that Keith and Brian Jones tried to equal them but he said Brian couldn't sing good enough!Charlie is obviously envious with sour grapes,The Beatles remastered albums sold much more 40 years after their break up than The Rolling Stones remastered albums and they are still together! The Beatles  have the best selling album of the last decade with their CD 1.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »

As  this  guy  Sal66  who  has  also  posted  on  sites debunking ignorant  cr*p  about  The  Beatles  has  rightfully pointed out, The  Beatles  wrote,played  and  recorded  I  Feel  Fine (which The All Music Guide says has brilliant,active ,difficult guitar leads and riffs) in  the  Fall  of  1964  which  was  the  first  use  of feedback  guitar  on  a  pop rock  record  and  it  also  had  a  prominent  guitar  riff  throughout  this  very  good  song  almost  a  year  *before*   The  Rolling  Stones's  Satisfaction  came out.

And  on  John's  great  Norwegian Wood  recorded  in  the  Fall  of  1965,George  Harrison  was  the  first  to  play  a  sitar  on  a  pop rock  song  and it  was released  on  their  great  album  Rubber  Soul  in  December and   then  in  May  1966  The  Rolling  Stones song  Paint It  Black  came  out  with  Brian  Jones  playing  a  sitar!

And  in  Paul McCartney's  authorized biography Many  Years  From  Now, Mick Jagger's former girlfriend  singer Marriane Faithful  says  that she and Mick used to go over  to Paul's house a lot and hang out in his music room. She said he never went to see them at their house they always went to visit him because he was Paul McCartney.She also said that Mick was intimidated by Paul but that Paul was totally oblivious to this.

Paul also says in this book that he turned Mick on to pot in his music room and he said which is funny because a lot of people  would assume it was the other way around. John and Paul also wrote 1  of The Rolling Stones first hits, the rock n roll song  I Wanna Be Youre Man in late 1963 right in front of them and Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were really impressed and were like wow how can you write a song just like that and it inspired them to start writing their own songs.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

NME.COM
HOME
NME News

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship

Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumours of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:01 PM »

I'd say Bob Dylan's praise means  a hell of a lot more than drummer Charlie Watt's any day!

And Brian Jones played the saxaphone on the  strange Beatles song, You Know My Name Look Up The Number and he and Mick Jagger's girlfriend at the time Marriane Faithful contributed sound effects on  the song Yellow Submarine.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »

I also have been posting on message board Beatles discussions about this 1973 ZigZag Charlie Watts interview since 2005,I just posted about it last month on  a post on The Huffington Post  in an article by  writer William Bradley  called,The Band Of The Decade:The Beatles? and he said he  had liked their music before but he never had been a big Beatles fan and that they were somewhat before his time  and he said he never listened to  all of their albums  all together. He said listening to their remasters including their early music like the A Hard Day's Night album  got him to become a big Beatles fan.He said the movie and album are also great.

Also back in September 2001 when I first found the 1973 Charlie Watts ZigZag interview when it was still online, I emailed a DJ who is a huge Beatles fan and expert and who had hosted a  2 hour Breakfast With The Beatles  radio show in my city in the late 80's to early 90's and then he moved to New York to host it,(and now he's back hosting it for 7 years in my city again) and I told him about this 1973 ZigZag Charlie Watts interview where he said what The Beatles great is that they made one great album and single after the next,and he emailed me back and said that,that Charlie Watts interview was very interesting and good!

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:45 AM »

Oh my FSM, can you rant and ramble, and for no reason at that! Charlie never said he disliked the Beatles themselves! He just meant he doesn't like their music. Nothing wrong with that. He's primarily a jazz fan who just happens to be most famous for playing rock. Calm down!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 83 queries.