Beatles forums > The Beatles

OK, question for the experts

(1/8) > >>

:
Who plays bass on Old Brown Shoe?

In an interview George says it was him, doing his thing.

On the demo where he does indeed play bass it sounds the same, especially the bridge part that was always outstanding.

One reference I have says Paul doubles George's guitar on bass.

All the rest say it's Paul (or don't indicate at all).

We have many of the same books and reference tools but some of us have better than others.  Tho I have most of the usual ones, I'm sure someone (Maria?) here can say with a tad more certainty than what I've indicated above.

After hearing George's demo I personally think it was indeed him.  Yes, Paul played the jangly piano on the initial take, but could have overdubbed the bass the second time around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

:
I haven't a great musical ear at all. However, for what it's worth (ie, not much) the bass never sounded quite like Paul McCartney's work to me.

What Lewisohn says (matching lead and bass guitar notes played by George and Paul) seems reasonable. The sound is very distinctive.

Old Brown Shoe is an interesting song. I've seen it panned and jeered at many times, but for me it's a wonderful gem in the Beatles jewel box. It certainly beats the socks off its mate (Ballad of J & Y).

:
Have you heard the demo?  I just downlaoded it and I must say the bass figure Paul always gets credit for certainly sounds like what George did.

However, the doubling would certainly explain that, if Paul simply copied George's moves.

Thanks!

:
You mean the Feb 25 demo, as on Anthology 3? It seems as if what you say about it is true.

:
Is it on A3?  Geez.  I haven't listened to that in so long I can't believe I didn't even know.

Too much junk piled up in here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version