Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tony Bramwell's Magical Mystery Tours.  (Read 3852 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Tony Bramwell's Magical Mystery Tours.
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

this is in my local library. Is it worth me reading it? I thumbed through the first few pages and was delighted to read about falling bombs and jolly sailors with r'n'r records in their bags.
Groan.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
Re: Tony Bramwell's Magical Mystery Tours.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »

I thought it was a fun book to read. He talks quite a bit about the childhood Beatles, school and neighborhood life. It's about him though, but still pretty fun and funny. Dana ; )

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »

haven't read it but i've heard some good reviews on it, so i must pick it up sometime!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

iamheandwearealltogether

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »

i read it and i think its quite interesting! definitely i think it was worth reading it
<br />Words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup...

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »

I've just finished reading this for the first time, and despite having read SO many books about you-know-who, I enjoyed it and found it was like seeing a familiar film from a different camera angle. Everyone who was 'there' has a different viewpoint, just like different witnesses to an accident.  I think those of us who weren't there need to fill in the gaps as best we can, and one way is reading books like this.

I thought he stretched some things a little (was he really that well acquainted with them before they were who they became? cos if he knew Paul as well as he claims, he'd also know his brother which doesn't come across) and other parts I thought, hang on  -  he hasn't even mentioned that (I can't remember if he talks about Help at all for example). He's quite clear on Yoko, however, yes  -  quite clear, thank you!

I thought some quotes were used a bit misleadingly, so that if you read quickly and unquestioningly, you might take them to be things Beatles had said directly to Tony, but on closer inspection, turned out to be from famous interviews/other books!  He's not alone in that, though.  And there were other parts when he obviously was quoting from a personal conversation, which was nice.

Another thought that struck me was, he's an insider  -  where's Mal?? where's Neil?? Passing mentions, that's all.

On the whole, a good read.  I may even have to buy it to add to my collection!  I borrowed it from my local library, and it seems an ardent fan had been there before me  -  pencil comments in the margins!!! I love 'em, but am too chicken to put my own in.   ;)
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:09 AM »

This is a very enjoyable book...it's worth reading for the Yoko parts alone.

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 52 queries.