Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yellow Sub on VHS anyone? How's the mix?  (Read 1274 times)

OldTop

• One And One Is Two
Yellow Sub on VHS anyone? How's the mix?
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »

Santa got me the YS DVD, and I finished watching it with my late-teen kids yesterday (much to my surprise, they were impressed and didn't think the animation was corny to their standards).
TWas a blast all right. But while I find some tracks do sound superb (Only a Northern Song, Lucy in the Sky...), others I am not so sure... Sergent Pepper's has its horns blurred out, and the intro to All Together Now now has its toe-tapping acoustic guitar blurred out too... Hey Bulldog has less "bite" now it seems (less "rockingly focused" than on the original stereo CD)...
Could this be the way I set up my homemovie system speakers?
Does this new mastering sound the same on the VHS version, or on the movie soundtrack CD?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Yellow Sub on VHS anyone? How's the mix?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »

The Yellow Submarine film soundtrack was completely re-mixed for Dolby 5.1 surround for the DVD version. I believe the film had not been released in stereo before that and all video versions contained the mono mix of the movie (I'll have to check on that though) without Hey Bulldog.

The Yellow Submarine Songtrack (not soundtrack) CD contains all the re-mixed tracks some of which sound absolutely superb - which prompted some people to suggest it would be a complete over-haul and re-mix of all the Beatles' back catalog!

You can, of course, still get the original 1969 mixes in stereo on the YS CD (the one that also includes George Martin's orchestrations).

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.