Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's your local pub?  (Read 4146 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
What's your local pub?
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »

What's your local pub? Mine is The Mitre and have been going there every Friday for 10 months now, the staff don't know my drink of by heart yet but think they recognize my face.

It's a nice friendly pub and is rumoured to be haunted, a guy was buried under the bar and sometimes the lights go on and off could be his ghost :)

Here's what my pub looks like

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/pubguide/mitre.html
Always sit at my ususal table it's on the left side on the 2nd left pic of course the table isn't in the picture.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: What's your local pub?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

Don't drink out as much as I did, but when we do its The Orange Tree. It's a ten minute drive or a thirty minute walk across Totteridge Common.
Can be a bit poncy but my closer locals are either grotty Irish bars or a big sports-bar type pub full of geezers.

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/orange-tree-the.htm

don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »

Quote from: 986
What's your local pub? Mine is The Mitre and have been going there every Friday for 10 months now, the staff don't know my drink of by heart yet but think they recognize my face.

It's a nice friendly pub and is rumoured to be haunted, a guy was buried under the bar and sometimes the lights go on and off could be his ghost :)

Here's what my pub looks like

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/pubguide/mitre.html
Always sit at my ususal table it's on the left side on the 2nd left pic of course the table isn't in the picture.

I think your local was recently featured in the Guardian's top 100 British pubs guide.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »

The scene outside my local at half time!

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »

When I go out it's to one of two pubs in town...  It's either the Poacher's Arms or Molly Blooms.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures other than my friends and I in the pubs.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:15 AM »

the only pub out here is a country and western kareoke bar.....they serve breakfast lunch and dinner too....and its actually gggggooooooddd food...esp the steak...it's called willards....classic huh?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »

My pub is my fridge.  Cheap random beers, LOL.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »

We do have a pub, just across my work.. but I think it mainly has... old mature people... men rather...

As a result I never been there.

Quote from: 1620
My pub is my fridge.  Cheap random beers, LOL.
We dont have a lot of beers, we have ale and vodka!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »

Quote from: 596
We do have a pub, just across my work.. but I think it mainly has... old mature people... men rather...

As a result I never been there.

Yeah, that doesn't sound fun.  Old dudes in bars...   :-/  

I've never explored the pubs/bars in my area because I think most of them would cater to flashy, wannabe-wealthy yuppies.  I am not a big drinker in any case, though, because I'm a total lightweight.

When I went to New Orleans last year, I was quite fond of Pat O'Brien's.  Good Hurricanes!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »

Watch out!  ;)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »

I have a number of bars I attend....

The one I go to the most is a local kareoke bar, its like Cheers, where everyone knows your name  :)
<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

I take that back.  Long ago I went to a karaoke bar with friends, and a young man tried chatting up me and my friend.  He was dressed in a business suit and all, but I thought he came off as kind of cocky and slimy.  Ugh.  :o

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:54 AM »

We don't really have "pubs" here.  I mean, bars just don't have the same vibe. Clubs or clubbing is cool, but it's not like hanging at a local pub. Not in the least.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »

I never go to any pubs. Cause I don`t drink beer. I go to small restaurants. And usually they are beer restaurants! German. Absolutely perfect! Very good food too!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »

Pubs do sell drinks other than beer.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »

My local pub closed , as yet i have'nt found a replacement as the other two i used to go in have also closed .
Looks like it's a park bench for me with low cost booze from the supermarket (thumbsdown)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »

We don`t have English pubs. Why don`t the English open their pubs here? They will prosper. Cause German restaurants are not so cheap, more expensive than English pubs. People will quickly switch to them.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

Quote from: 971
My local pub closed , as yet i have'nt found a replacement as the other two i used to go in have also closed .
Looks like it's a park bench for me with low cost booze from the supermarket (thumbsdown)

^ Don't forget the brown paper bag! And while you're at it stick stick a hat on the ground, you might get some money!

Seriously, it's a crying shame that all these pubs are closing down in England. I guess it's mainly due to the smoking ban? It doesn't seem to have affected them too much over here. I'm a smoker and I really don't mind going outside. You get talking to all sorts.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

Quote from: 1393
We don`t have English pubs. Why don`t the English open their pubs here? They will prosper. Cause German restaurants are not so cheap, more expensive than English pubs. People will quickly switch to them.

English pubs would be just as expensive as the beer would have to be imported. You must have an Irish pub, or pubs in Moscow? There's an Irish pub everywhere!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »

Quote from: 483

^ Don't forget the brown paper bag! And while you're at it stick stick a hat on the ground, you might get some money!

Seriously, it's a crying shame that all these pubs are closing down in England. I guess it's mainly due to the smoking ban? It doesn't seem to have affected them too much over here. I'm a smoker and I really don't mind going outside. You get talking to all sorts.

lol maybe i could play the spoons as well .
It's very sad Paul they are closing at an alarming rate , but it's not just pubs Bingo halls are closing down too .
Don't think the smoking ban helped , but i think the supermarkets undercutting pubs is the real problem ?

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 89 queries.