Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MACCA/Wacko/Wonder/Wings  (Read 5106 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: MACCA/Wacko/Wonder/Wings
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Quote from: 971
Van Morrison is another i think who does'nt fit the mold . Mind you both Waits and Morrison have never relied on image to get their music across .

I thin Van has dried up since 'Days Like This'. He's stuck too much to a formula. But agreed, their image is: no image!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »

Quote from: 185

No - it's wierd. In jazz and blues and classical age is no impediment to success. Rock seems to be much more strongly linked with yoof culture. In a way I guess that's to it's detriment-you could surmise from that that its appeal is more about image and the listener than the music itself.

Yoofs grow up, though, and rock musicians don't grow with them: they usually get stuck in a formula or just dry up, eventually ending up playing nostalgia tours for their aging fans and succeeding generations of curious yoofs. I don't see why that should necessarily be. Playing to an image may be part of it, but I think it's more than that: to my mind, there's a real creative failure on the part of the performers or a more basic limitation in the genre itself.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »

You see with most popular musicians that they want to maintain their fame, and in order to achieve that they can't risk anything. God knows what some of them could achieve if their ego and vanity would allow them. David Bowie is the obvious exception to this.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

Quote from: 483
You see with most popular musicians that they want to maintain their fame, and in order to achieve that they can't risk anything. God knows what some of them could achieve if their ego and vanity would allow them.

That's certainly true for some: they find a commercially successful formula and flog it to first to death and then to little pieces. Movie and TV producers do exactly the same thing. But drying up seems to be the bigger problem; look at John and Paul: there was tremendous development in their songwriting in the sixties but very little thereafter. Same goes for Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and any number of others. There's a quick burst of growth followed by a fade that lasts as long as the audience will put up with it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Yoofs grow up, though, and rock musicians don't grow with them: they usually get stuck in a formula or just dry up, eventually ending up playing nostalgia tours for their aging fans and succeeding generations of curious yoofs. I don't see why that should necessarily be. Playing to an image may be part of it, but I think it's more than that: to my mind, there's a real creative failure on the part of the performers or a more basic limitation in the genre itself.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Geoff it's the limitation the genre itself , the greats have the first 10 years or so to make their mark , then they seem to coast with the occasional return to form .
It should be like  " Logan 's Run " when they hit 30 it should be "Carousel Time " .
I watched Madonna the other day on some Radio 1 party thing , and i thought for gods sake let it go women you look like a grannie on speed chucking yourself about and swearing like some teenage brat .
Think with very little effort i could become a grumpy old git .

(jumping)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 03:51:50 AM »

Quote from: 971
Think with very little effort i could become a grumpy old git .(jumping)

I'm working on lecherous old b****rd myself.

I actually have a copy of Logan's Run around here somewhere.  All I remember about it is Jenny Agutter and some robot thingie named "Box."

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

(thinker)
I can`t vote for any of them , it would , give me nightmares  (cry4)
The 80s eh ! (beammeup)
Wallflower Has Blossomed

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »

I picked Say Say Say. I love the song and the video.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »

Quote from: 713
I picked Say Say Say. I love the song and the video.

it is a cool video & a good pop song i think.
move aside 'The Girl is Mine'  :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 57 queries.