Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "TWA" or "A Doll's House" ???  (Read 5239 times)

"TWA" or "A Doll's House" ???
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »

The original title for The White Album was going to be "A Doll's House", named after the famous Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen's 1879 masterpiece.
 (original Norwegian title: Et dukkehjem)
Apparently, the boys decided against such a stilted literary title and went w/ the more mundane "The Beatles"--which became nicknamed "TWA" (and eventually stuck).

Personally, I prefer the original concept of "ADH", which gives rise to a million cover-art possibilities, which alas, is purely academic now.

BlueMeanie

Re: "TWA" or "A Doll's House" ???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »

I like the concept of The White Album. First you have their most ambitious album - Sgt. Pepper, with their most ambitious cover. And seeing as TWA was pretty much a no frills affair, the plain white cover perfectly complements it. One extreme to the other. IMO of course.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:25:40 PM »

they could've given the world a double-shock if they wanted...

these aethetic "rules" arent written in stone.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »

I never said they were. ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »

..or even a triple shot

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »

They actually changed the name because A Doll's House was already taken, by a band called the Family. (I think A Doll's House better hints at the contents within!)
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »

Quote from: 63
White Album Facts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beatles was released in the UK on November 22, 1968 as Apple PMC 7067-8 (mono) and PCS 7067-8 (stereo) and in the US on November 25, 1968 in stereo as Apple SWBO 101. The White Album was not released in mono in the US.
The White Album's original working title was A Doll's House, which is the name of Henrik Ibsen's masterpiece play written in the 19th century.

In addition, according to The Beatles Album by Geoffrey Giuliano, an illustration was prepared for the cover of A Doll's House by the famed artist Patrick but the plain white cover was opted for instead. This illustration eventually showed up on EMI's Dutch release of the Love Songs album, De Mooiste Songs.

Recording sessions for the White Album started with the song Revolution on May 30, 1968, and concluded with take three of Julia on October 13, 1968. Mixing for the album was completed five days later on October 18, 1968.

This album marked the first on the then newly formed Apple label, which had made its first appearance as a 45 three months earlier on August 30, 1968 with the Hey Jude/Revolution single, both of which were recorded during the White Album sessions.

Also recorded during the White Album sessions were What's the New Mary Jane and Not Guilty. These two tracks were only available on bootlegs for many years, but were finally released legitimately for the first time 28 years after they were recorded on Anthology 3 in 1996.

The Guiness Book of Records lists The Beatles as having sold "nearly two million" copies in its first week of release in the US.

Goodies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four 8x10 glossies, one of each Beatle, were included as inserts with the White Album. These pictures were taken by photographer John Kelley in the autumn of 1968.

Silly Censorship

In the United States, one small photograph of Paul and one small drawing of Yoko and John in the poster that was included with the White Album were censored.

On the left are scans from a copy of the White Album poster included with a White Album manufactured by EMI in Germany. On the right are unretouched scans of the same places on the poster from a copy made by Capitol in America.

All found here: http://www.beatletracks.com/  I really love this site. Lots of great information.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »

Quote from: 911
They actually changed the name because A Doll's House was already taken, by a band called the Family. (I think A Doll's House better hints at the contents within!)

Yes, Chris. Exactly. The subject matter (lyrically) in TWA lends itself to grander literary themes, I feel--that's why I thought the Ibsen title would've stuck if it wasnt used first by the band you mentioned. Thx 4 input.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:19:45 PM »

I think it might have come over as a little pretentious. I'm glad Family got there first.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »

I think even the Stones (also in '68) were beginning to "touch" on social themes on "Beggar's Banquet"
--songs like "Salt of the Earth" and the historical allusions in "Sympathy For The Devil" point to this. Even "Street Fighting Man" is unabashedly political. All of this seemed antithetical to their usual fare of r&b mega-tracks, but I suppose in the very turbulent year of 1968 even the "Bad Boys of Rock & Roll" felt it incumbent on them to take a strident "position" on some of these questions, lest they seem "out of the loop", hence, the B. Banquet Lp. It's one of their MOST intelligent albums (IMO) (if not THE most intelligent they ever did), but I think they never followed up on this and eventually went back to their "proven formula" w/ subsequent works like "Let It Bleed" & "Sticky Fingers" et. al..

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:57 PM »

Even though the White Album is one of the greatest albums of all time, I really dont find anything mystical or anything about it's cover.  I would've preferred very much a cover like the one intended for A Dolls House, but maybe still called "The Beatles".

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 12:11:45 AM »

I don't even think they called it the White Album when it was released? It was
just called The Beatles. correct me if i'm wrong.
 :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »

I like the original cover because George is holding a rabbit-- say no more!  ;D

I also am extremely glad the United States censored Paul's pubic hair. That sort of thing may be tolerated over there but over here everyone is smooth and childlike, as evidenced by our action figure dolls. *sprays Nair on everything ... you can see the effect it had on John and Yoko*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:45 AM »

Quote from: 614
I don't even think they called it the White Album when it was released? It was
just called The Beatles. correct me if i'm wrong.

It's always been called 'The Beatles'. It's never been called 'The White Album'. It's only used to make a distinction between the name of the band, and the album.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:40 AM »

Basically i was right then  ;D, it's the same with the Red & Blue album,
the name's not on the cover. and i always call Live at the BBC the brown
album! ;D :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »

I admit I didn't know about the Ibsen connection; the reason I think A Doll's House fits just a bit better is that the myriad "bits of music," and much more individual songs, lend themselves to this sense of things occurring in different rooms, separated from each other. (I love the album, of course, in case I'm coming off wrong. A title's not very important, really.)

From a lot of stuff I've read, the album's cover was so striking at the time because of the drastic, and quite smart-ass, contrast between the plain white square and the trend-setting Sgt. Pepper image from the year before. I think the Beatles' acute sense of humor is often left out these days!

Artist George Hamilton came up with the idea, and his original thoughts included the ring from a coffee cup. Paul thought that was a bit TOO flippant, so the embossed name of the band was settled on instead. "Has there ever been an album just called The Beatles?" Hamilton asked. "I don't think so, but I'll have to check," said Paul. (That's a funny thing, but of course the Beatles couldn't keep track of all the bastardized USA album names that Capitol had concocted.)

Then they thought about having the green smear of an apple on the cover, as if someone had thrown...well, the Beatles' new logo, I guess, at the whiteness. This was abandoned as well, since the quality of the printed image from country to country couldn't be assured, and a green apple smudge would just look like a bit of dirt without the resolution.

I guess my favorite quote about the White Album is Paul's, from Anthology.

"I'm not big on that, y'know. 'What if we'd done this or that....' It's great. It sold. It's the bloody Beatles White Album! Shut uuuup."

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »

Artist George Hamilton came up with the idea, and his original thoughts included the ring from a coffee cup.

You surely don't mean:

;D ;D ;D

I'm sure you meant to say Richard Hamilton. :)

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »

Oops. Hee! You're right: Richard. :) (Hey, there's a reason I'm the resident dork here.)

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »

I guess my favorite quote about the White Album is Paul's, from Anthology.

"I'm not big on that, y'know. 'What if we'd done this or that....' It's great. It sold. It's the bloody Beatles White Album! Shut uuuup."

yeah, I always liked that quote--I used it a few weeks ago in one of my posts too

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »

Quote from: 483

I'm sure you meant to say Richard Hamilton. :)

HAHAHA yeah, not the actor "george" H.

(but no biggie, Chris)

BM, I swear I nearly fell over laughing when I saw this pic u posted of the "eternally sun-tanned one" ;D

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 78 queries.