Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Something / Come Together  (Read 2839 times)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Something / Come Together
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »

I came across this the other day. I'd never seen it before.

Does this definitely prove that in the UK Something was the A-side and Come Together was the B-side?

What do you think?

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Something / Come Together
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »

Beginning of the end, taking two songs from an LP already in the shops.
The 1970s starts here......value for money goes out the window.

Strange that it should have a Parlophone, rather than Apple, label.
EMI were almost certainly more keen to push 'Something' as the one for DJs to play due to the content of the lyrics of 'Come Together', hence the big "A".

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »

The Single was an official Apple realease 31 October 1969 , but all Apple singles used the Parlophone numbers (R 5814). 

This was an advance copy, worth a lot more than the Apple single, and yes like oldbrownshoe mentioned "Something" was the A Side.

Hope you bought it~  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »

The Single was an official Apple realease 31 October 1969 , but all Apple singles used the Parlophone numbers (R 5814). 

This was an advance copy, worth a lot more than the Apple single, and yes like oldbrownshoe mentioned "Something" was the A Side.

Hope you bought it~  icon_king

Have I bought this advance copy? No, as I said, I'd never seen it before. And like a lot of people I didn't even buy the original single because I already had the songs on the album Abbey Road.

Some guys I talk to are convinced that Something / Come Together was a double A-side. Even when I found this photo they said 'Yes but sometimes things changed between the promo single and the real single'.

Does anybody have a document from 1969 that shows clearly that Something was the A-side?

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »

More to the point zipp, can these guys provide any evidence of it being a double A side?

My understanding was that some people claimed the American 45 was released as a double A side...something to do with radio airplay or some such, I've never really been clear on this.

Whereas here in the UK I am sure "Something" was the A side and "Come Together" definitely the B.

"Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" was the final double A sided Beatles UK single.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »

More to the point zipp, can these guys provide any evidence of it being a double A side?

My understanding was that some people claimed the American 45 was released as a double A side...something to do with radio airplay or some such, I've never really been clear on this.

Whereas here in the UK I am sure "Something" was the A side and "Come Together" definitely the B.

"Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" was the final double A sided Beatles UK single.

The only evidence they have is that the British Market Research Bureau chart and therefore the Guinness hit singles book puts Something / Come Together when it lists this single.

Of course they're extremely influenced by the weird US position of both songs being number one at the same time and therefore on ONE.

Have you got documentary evidence that shows that Something was the A-side in the UK. Of course I agree with you but these things can be very difficult to prove!

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »

The debate is still going on with the guys who don't think Something was the A side.

They also don't agree that Act Naturally was the original A side over Yesterday in the US in the sixties.

And they don't agree that Matchbox was an A side in the U.S.either.

Any opinions? Any proof?

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »

This is indeed very hard to research. Every source keeps coming up with 'double A-side'.

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 49 queries.