Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A football question  (Read 5025 times)

sittingatthedocksatsouthampton

A football question
« on: August 30, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »

Were the Beatles Toffees or Reds?

Re: A football question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 08:40:58 PM »

I don't think they were either. Like Paul said in ANTHOLOGY the group werent very sporty, although Paul's family's team was Everton.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 11:37:55 PM »

i dont think they were either

Paul McCartney :)

sittingatthedocksatsouthampton

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 06:51:14 PM »

Well that's put them down in my estimation... only joking!
If Macca was an Everton fan, he could buy them a la Abramovich, and then Rooney needn't have been sold to Man Utd!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »

Wow! A pure English thread!!!

I don't think the guys even watched the World Cup final on 30th July 1966, when England WON IT!!! I think they were in the studio - I'll have to check out Miles' and Lewisohn's books to be sure on that though. Coincidentally, and by the way, that also happens to be the day I was born!! ;D

In case anyone's wondering, I'm an Arsenal supporter since a wee lad! ;D

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 10:52:40 PM »

I think Paul is a Red fan. There's this pic where he has a Liverpool F.C. badge (its a 1968 pic)

---powered by Moondogs®---

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 11:20:04 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1093894353,s=4 date=1094560239]I don't think the guys even watched the World Cup final on 30th July 1966, when England WON IT!!! I think they were in the studio - I'll have to check out Miles' and Lewisohn's books to be sure on that though.
[/quote]

I was wrong, they had just returned from the Philippines and had nothing booked for pretty much the whole month of July.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

This one Wiki:

The Beatles were advised by Epstein to make no comments about the football clubs they supported because it could alienate some fans, though it was well known that McCartney was a supporter of Everton Football Club, and that his father and relatives used to take him to matches.[199][200] His allegiance later shifted to Liverpool F.C.,[201][202] as on 28 July 1968, The Beatles were photographed in a photographer's studio at 192–212 Gray's Inn Road, with McCartney wearing a Liverpool F.C. rosette.[203] Linda McCartney later said: "We spent last night listening to Liverpool football team on the radio, wanting them to win so badly. Paul supports Liverpool. He was for Everton for a while because of his family — but it's all Liverpool now."[201][204][205]

Lennon and McCartney were present to watch the 1966 FA Cup Final at Wembley, between Everton and Sheffield Wednesday, and McCartney attended the 1968 FA Cup Final (18 May 1968) which was played by West Bromwich Albion against Everton.[206] After the end of the match, McCartney shared cigarettes and whisky with other football fans.[205] The ex-Liverpool player, Albert Stubbins, was the only footballer shown on the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band cover.[200] McCartney tried to listen (on a radio) to the Liverpool v Manchester United 1977 FA Cup Final, while sailing in the Caribbean,[200] and the video for McCartney's "Pipes of Peace" (in 1983) recreated the 1915 football game played between German and British troops during World War I, at Christmas.[207][208]

At the end of the live version of "Coming Up" recorded in Glasgow in 1979 (later to become a US number one single) the crowd begins to sing "Paul McCartney!" until McCartney takes over and changes the chant to "Kenny Dalglish!", referring to the current Liverpool and Scotland striker. At the same concert, Gordon Smith, former football player who played for Rangers and Brighton & Hove Albion, met the McCartneys, and later accepted an invitation to visit their home in East Sussex in 1980. Smith later said that McCartney was "thrilled I knew Kenny Dalglish", to which Linda added: "I like Gordon McQueen of Man United", and Smith replied, "I know him too."[209]

McCartney attended the 1986 FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Everton,[205] and in 1989, he contributed to the Ferry Cross the Mersey charity single that was recorded to aid victims of the Hillsborough Disaster, which happened during a match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.[210] McCartney performed at the Liverpool F.C. Anfield stadium on 1 June 2008, as a part of Liverpool's European Capital of Culture year.[211] Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters sang with McCartney on "Band on the Run", and played drums on "Back in the U.S.S.R.". Ono and Olivia Harrison attended the concert, along with Ken Dodd, and the former Liverpool F.C. football manager Rafael Benítez.[212][213][214]

In an interview in 2008, McCartney ended speculation about his allegiance when he said:

"Here's the deal: my father was born in Everton, my family are officially Evertonians, so if it comes down to a derby match or an FA Cup final between the two, I would have to support Everton. But after a concert at Wembley Arena I got a bit of a friendship with Kenny Dalglish, who had been to the gig and I thought 'You know what? I am just going to support them both because it's all Liverpool and I don't have that Catholic-Protestant thing.' So I did have to get special dispensation from the Pope to do this but that's it, too bad. I support them both. They are both great teams, but if it comes to the crunch, I'm Evertonian."[215]

In 2010, there was heavy speculation surrounding McCartney that he was to head up a consortium launching a take-over bid for struggling Charlton Athletic. Links between the club and the famous musician go a long way back with Charlton's famous supporters anthem – Valley, Floyd Road – using the tune and a number of lyrics from the Wings song "Mull of Kintyre".[216]

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »

I've read somewhere that the red and blue albums got those colors because of Liverpool and Everton T-shirts, respectively.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »

"Here's the deal: my father was born in Everton, my family are officially Evertonians, so if it comes down to a derby match or an FA Cup final between the two, I would have to support Everton. But after a concert at Wembley Arena I got a bit of a friendship with Kenny Dalglish, who had been to the gig and I thought 'You know what? I am just going to support them both because it's all Liverpool and I don't have that Catholic-Protestant thing.' So I did have to get special dispensation from the Pope to do this but that's it, too bad. I support them both. They are both great teams, but if it comes to the crunch, I'm Evertonian."[215]

.[216]
I didn't even know the liverpool clubs were Catholic and Protestant. Which ones' which? But that's all just classic Macca being ultar cautious not to upset scousers.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »

I didn't even know the liverpool clubs were Catholic and Protestant. Which ones' which? But that's all just classic Macca being ultar cautious not to upset scousers.

I guess he just used the Catholic and Protestant thing as a figure.

In my country we say that you cannot change your team. You're always a supporter of your first team.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:45:14 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »

I wonder if THE BEATLES liked any American NFL Football teams in the 1960's?

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »

I wonder if THE BEATLES liked any American NFL Football teams in the 1960's?

Well, I don't know about that but there was this in 1974:

John Lennon on Monday Night Football 12/9/1974

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »

Hi In My life! I REMEMBER THIS! How could I have forgotten this interview? It looks like John was having a great time too! Thanks for posting this interview In My Life. Take care.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »

I always thought that was just a charade John was going through to win support from Americans to stay in the country.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »

I always thought that was just a charade John was going through to win support from Americans to stay in the country.

Hi Toejam! How are you? Just a charade, its a possibility. It worked! I really do believe that John was enjoying himself with Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football. Even Howard enjoyed speaking with John that night. However, I'll never forget the night of 8 December 1980, I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell made the shocking anouncement to the whole world: "John Lennon was shot and killed!" Even Howard Cosell was shocked in disbelief. Take care Toejam. 

Quarrygirl

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

At the end of Paul's O2 Academy concert in Liverpool last year, he picked up an Everton scarf thrown at him and made a small gesture with it that got a small cheer from the blue part of the audience.

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »

I think Paul is a Red fan. There's this pic where he has a Liverpool F.C. badge (its a 1968 pic)

That Liverpool FC badge that Paul wore in the photo was provided by the photographer for that photo session. It's pretty evident that Paul is a blue noser. If you listen to a portion of "Liverpool Sound Collage" where Paul is interviewing another Scouser on the streets of Liverpool. This bloke is LFC supporter and talking smack about EFC. Paul tells the guy that EFC aren't bad and that the guy should ease up on them. I asked George's sister, Louise, once if George had a favourite Merseyside team and said George wasn't into football. John seemed to have a distant interest in LFC. Not sure who Ringo favoured? As for American Football, about 20 years ago I saw an interview with Paul and he said he liked the Cleveland Brown because Linda's family was from that area.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:09:58 PM by I am the Paulrus »

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »

what a fantastic video of John that is and what a likeable bloke he was, I think its a bit mean calling it a stunt I mean for a start he'd obviously been studying the game to know and express without falter the similarities between it and Rugby Union football.

BTW Ive supported Manchester City since I was a kid in the 60's

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »

BTW Ive supported Manchester City since I was a kid in the 60's

Now I'm following the citizens as well because of Kun Agüero. ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 2.684 seconds with 83 queries.