Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Liverpool 8  (Read 17510 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Liverpool 8
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »

I got as far as 'Gone Are The Days', which sounds like it was a promising song in the making, until the band came in. The title tracks lyrics are awful, but the song is OK.

I like Ringo, but as usual, I find that I can only listen to his singing for two or three songs running. Usually his albums are fairly ordinary, but contain a couple of very good numbers. 5 tracks in I haven't heard either of them yet. Sorry Ringo.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »

*gives Kevin a happy pill*

I think it's a charming song, and I think it's wonderful that Ringo has found an opportunity to share his recollections with a wider audience. He's always had to work harder to get noticed (I haven't listened to any of his solo albums all the way through, just certain tracks-- sorry, Ringo!).

I was completely aware there was a Liverpool 8 thing going on. What fun! Ringo does this chanting thing like a football match-- what fun! Ringo talks about his experience in the Fabs-- what fun! I would not be a sourpuss about this for anything. The Beatles (at least in the beginning) were about having fun, and to my mind Ringo captures that mood perfectly.

When did music appreciation get all grim and serious like all those boring literature classes that suck the life out of the finest classic and make you want to stab the book with a pen? Is this familiarity breeding contempt-- everyone has to jump through so many damn hoops you just can't like anything any more? It has to be coldly analysed like a scientific specimen? It's a danger with any profession-- I have to guard against it with novels, and even then not many pass muster. But I think it's kind of sad that so much of the sheer enjoyment of listening to a new song appears to be gone. *puts on a bright red dress and goes chanting and dancing with the unwashed masses*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »

^ Bless you. If only the whole world could be like you. I actually do try to be a positive kind of person but you are the Queen Bee. Still hate it though.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

*hugs*

It's all a matter of taste. But we Americans have always gone barmy for Ringo, don't ask me why. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 08:36:06 PM »

Quote from: 551
*gives Kevin a happy pill*

The Beatles (at least in the beginning) were about having fun, and to my mind Ringo captures that mood perfectly.

Yes indeed.

Is Ringo cashing in on Liverpool '08?

No. But he realised the opportunity he had to bring it all back home.

Is Liverpool pleased to have Ringo as an amabassador?

Yes.

Is his new album the next Sergeant Pepper?

Obviously not.

But it's fun. Maybe that's why he left home all those years ago.

To have fun!

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »

*hugs*

It's all a matter of taste. But we Americans have always gone barmy for Ringo, don't ask me why. :)
Because he's not considered a bad boy a la John?

I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »

Your guess is as good as mine. I only started to appreciate Ringo recently. I disliked him in the Anthology series, and I wasn't a Beatles fan before that. Ringo admirers, tell us your secret!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »

just downloaded the title track..will have a listen in a few  :)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »

LIVERPOOL 8, the single, #98 in the UK charts, his first UK chart placing since La De Da (#63) almost 10 years ago!

Now Ringo could re-release the Photograph hits album, with Liverpool 8 on it! This is another hit!  ;D
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »

Quote from: 713
LIVERPOOL 8, the single, #98 in the UK charts, his first UK chart placing since La De Da (#63) almost 10 years ago!

I think you can get to No. 98 by selling a thousand copies, or less these days. Most of those were probably bought in Liverpool last week.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

Quote from: 483

I think you can get to No. 98 by selling a thousand copies, or less these days. Most of those were probably bought in Liverpool last week.

By all those tourists who thought they were buying a Liverpool 8 Year of Culture commemerative cd  ;)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »

Quote from: 185

By all those tourists who thought they were buying a Liverpool 8 Year of Culture commemerative cd  ;)

You wouldn't be stirring it up again, now would you?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »

Go, Ringo!  ;D

On Amazon.com, the album is #19 in music and #13 in pop-- and it's not actually released until tomorrow. Yay, Ringo!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »

Interesting read from NYT - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/arts/music/14choi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin .

I think I will buy!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »

Didn't you find it annoying that the reviewer constantly refers to him as 'Mr. Starr'?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »

Quote from: 483
Didn't you find it annoying that the reviewer constantly refers to him as 'Mr. Starr'?

Not really, only a little more so maybe than referring to Paul as "Paul", as that's not his real name either.

The NYT can be a little formal at times, it's not like Spin mag or anything.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

Go, Ringo!  ;D

On Amazon.com, the album is #19 in music and #13 in pop-- and it's not actually released until tomorrow. Yay, Ringo!

Oh great! The album will appear on the Billboard 200 next week. I'm pretty sure of that.  ;)
So funny. Last year we were expecting Paul reaching #1 in the US with Memory Almost Full (it finally did #3....) and now we're hoping Ringo just reaching any place of the entire chart.!
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »

"Liverpool i left you but i never let you down" what a load of crap anyone who watched tonights jonathan ross show would see how just the sad comments ringo made about liverpool let himself and the city down........his appearance at thecapital of culture opening earlier this week was only a well timed bit of free publicity for his new album....which no doubt will be another under achieving load of drivvle

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:55 AM »

The Beatle-mad Stephen Thomas Erlewine from AllMusicGuide published his review for the album. He gives 3 STARS to Liverpool 8.

[size=18][face=Times]

Rising Starr

• A Beginning
    • alison johnson
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

I just finished listening to Liverpool 8 and I really enjoyed it.  I liked Harry's Song alot.  That one part sounded just like George (No way of knowing /Just keep on growing).  I liked RU Ready too.  Ringo is so cute when he thinks he's a cowboy.  British people are funny are funny when they try to talk like Americans.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 84 queries.