Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best Cringeworthy Song ?  (Read 15929 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Best Cringeworthy Song ?
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »

Which one of these three songs is Paul's best cringe worthy song ? i've picked these three songs as they have come in for some vitriolic criticism over the years , and no doubt  will continue to generate debate for many years to come .(jumping)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Best Cringeworthy Song ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »

I've gone with  " We All Stand Together " it's totally brilliant in it's awfulness , i remember when i first heard it , i was gobsmacked . I've just played it again for the first time in many years and it's still stinks , but in a perverse way the lush orchestration is wonderful ? (tongue1)(shakehead2)(teeth1)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

I've gone with 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'. What the hell was he thinking? 'We All Stand Together' was meant as a childrens song, wasn't it? And I quite like 'Silly Love Songs'.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Did'nt he write  " Mary Had A Little Lamb " for his kids also ? his vocal on it is really saccharine makes me want to eat the lamb (tongue7)
Was'nt the animated film for  " We All Stand Together " a best selling childrens video in the 80's ?
I also think  " Silly Love Songs " is a good song (thumbsup)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »

i think Mary Had a little lamb is a nice melody even the the lyrics are a bit naff, hehe, but i think
Silly Love Songs is a great little pop tune no matter what people say. so i've gone with We All
Stand Together, i've always thought it works better in the animated film than on record.
it's the only macca track i never play.  ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

Another excellent topic, DaveRam! You got me chuckling. Thank you.

Okay, I will admit that all of these songs might generate a teensy little raising of the brow by even the most ardent fan. Here is my completely subjective take:

" Mary Had A Little Lamb " - I always hated this song even as a child. Paul only improved it by giving it a less obnoxious melody. While I can question his judgment in putting out this for an astonished fan base (as opposed to confining it to his home where it should have stayed), he was working with historically terrible fare, so he can't be held entirely to blame for the fact that this song continues to be terrible under his shepherdship.

" We All Stand Together " has moments of charm. Yes, it does. I like it when Paul makes forays into classical music, and this was a children's film, so burping frogs etc., however initially surprising, cannot in retrospect be all that astonishing. At some point I intend to look up the B-side to this single, which according to Wiki is "We All Stand Together (Humming Version)" performed by Paul McCartney and the Finchley Frogettes.

" Silly Love Songs " - SCORE! Absolutely hate this. It pegs my obnoxiousness meter. For whatever reason, Paul can write songs that actively irritate me, and this is one. It doesn't help that I'm likely to encounter it in the health club or grocery store, where I am forced to listen to it again and again. Give me burping frogs any day! (But not the lamb; I will take even silly love songs over that obnoxious lamb.)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »

Once again DaveRam another great thread  ::)  

We All Stand Together , just for the stick i got when it came out .
Silly Love Songs , great song , i thought .  :-/
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »

I like all three songs very much so I can't vote in this poll.  Childrens songs are supposed to sound like that and Paul did them well.

Silly Love Songs is a great tune and I like Paul's bass riff.  I saw him do this song in the Wings Over America Tour in 1976.  It was his current hit at the time and the croud just loved it.

I can stay till it's time to go

Paulram

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard We all stand together. Have to look it up on Youtube. Yes, I'm going Mary Had a Little Lamb. That song gives me the creeps.(thumbsdown)(shakehead2)
If slaughter houses had glass walls no one would eat meat- Paul McCartney

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »

Quote from: 971
I've gone with  " We All Stand Together " it's totally brilliant in it's awfulness , i remember when i first heard it , i was gobsmacked . I've just played it again for the first time in many years and it's still stinks , but in a perverse way the lush orchestration is wonderful ? (tongue1)(shakehead2)(teeth1)

That's it exactly; you've nailed it.  8)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »

Quote from: 743
I don't think I've ever heard We all stand together.

ain't you the lucky one?  ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »

You haven't heard it? Well, then...  ;D

WRy318lhSAk

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »

After playing  " We All Stand Together " this morning the bloody things been in my head all day (hammer2)(teeth1)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »

Thanks Geoff not seen that in yonks , it does work well with the film . Is it a waltz tempo ? it sounds like a waltz , not that i would know (thinker)(smile)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »

Sorry, I've no idea whether that's waltz tempo or not. But I do know I'm not going to get the damned thing out of my head for the rest of the night. My own bloody fault for posting that Youtube, too. ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »

Just been reading the credits for  " We All Stand Together " it's a Paul McCartney / George Martin arrangement and was recorded in 1980 but not released until 1984 . The Orchestra leader is Kenneth Sillito .
Did'nt know George Martin was involved in the arrangement , now i know why the orchestration sounds so lush , it's Mr Martin working his magic (clap)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »

One that's not on this list, but has a high C.T. (cringeworthy titer) IMO is "Cook of the House". Same album as Silly Love Songs. Used to make a friend of mine apoplectic even to talk about it, much less hear it.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:45 AM »

'Silly Love Songs' - although I dont find anything cringeworthy about it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:57 AM »

I don't know, but I think he's got songs much more cringe worthy than any of those. Is it fair to compare songs that were written/recorded for children though? Those are always going to come off as corny. Silly Love Songs however is a great catchy uplifting tune. It's a little dated now, but at the time no one thought it was out of place. The only thing about it that makes me cringe  are Linda's backing vocals. God I hate that part with a passion.

brain dead_genius

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 02:21:25 AM »

(afraid4)paul mccartny wrote marry had a little lamb? YIKES THATS HORRIBLE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 92 queries.