Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What was it like to be a teenager for our old ones  (Read 3897 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: What was it like to be a teenager for our old ones
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »

I wouldn't: I discovered 60s music at that age!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

When I was 7 or 8 I already prefered Elvis, the Four Seasons, the Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison and stuff like that over the music that was popular at the time (Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Madonna etc.)... So even though I was born in 1978, I pretty much grew up with 60s music.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 08:04:48 AM »

Like many people I suppose, my early teens were not the happiest of times. Only when you're old enough to earn some money at the weekends and have a social life do you get to escape the watchful eye of your parents and enjoy yourself.

I was brought up in a fairly strict, not particularly happy, but stable family in Hounslow, West London. And having an older brother (by 2 years) meant that I was always jealous of what he was getting up to. It also meant that I was expected to follow in his footsteps, which caused quite a bit of rebellion over the years.

Anyway, I was born in 1958, so The Beatles were the soundtrack to my early youth - I never was much of a Stones fan - but I've told that story in another thread. The early 70's were a time of experimentation for me musically. At 13 I was into Pink Floyd, Yes, and King Crimson. I was never a Bowie fan then, for some reason. The whol glam rock thing never really got to me (except for T-Rex's Electric Warrior album).

Then I moved onto more 'intelligent' stuff! Caravan, Gong, and Hatfield And The North. And I'm still a big fan of all three today. Other groups such as Can, Nue, and Faust occasionally punctuated that.

It was a good time musically. New sounds were coming all the time, as I suppose 'rock' music was still fairly young at the time. I guess that's the reason why many of us 'old 'uns' are so eclectic in our tastes.

Then when I was 18 along came punk to blow the cobwebs away (as they like to tell us). I remember going to see bands like The Jam, Elvis Costello, The Stranglers, and The Damned for practically nothing at seedy little venues across London. One day you'd see a band you'd never heard of, and the next they'd be in the charts. Now we have MySpace for that. Where's the fun?

They were good times, mostly, and I miss them. Not because I miss being 18, but that kind of scene doesn't exist now. And somehow, watching bands on the Internet just doesn't float my boat!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »

Hey Blue Meanie we're the same age. Fifties coming over the hill like a bat out of hell ain't it?
My reaction to punk was the reverse of yours - I remember seeing a report on TV (this was NZ remember) and getting really angry at them. The nearest I got to punk was Boomtown Rats (ouch).
I was seriously into Neil Young at that stage.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »

Quote from: 185
Hey Blue Meanie we're the same age. Fifties coming over the hill like a bat out of hell ain't it?

I didn't need reminding of that!!!

BTW, I checked, you're 3 days younger than me ??) ??) ??)

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »

Bluemeanie, i second you about that myspace stuff, and seeing unknown bands..even though i'm only 15, i know what the music scene was like in the 70's and 70's, a lot better and different from now, where like you said, it is all internet based. I've heard various personal accounts from people saying they saw bands like Joy Division when they were unknown, and people who've claimed they saw the Beatles when they were unknown..my uncle saw Hendrix and the who before they were known in London, and it's definatley not the same now, the music scene now is crap, and the only band in England that have produced any excitment in the last year are the Arctic monkeys (which are now pretty much forgotten), and through myspace! so i definatley know where your coming from..do you know squeeze? My dad used to see them a few times in the 70's before they were massivley well known in England. :P

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 08:13:20 PM »

Quote from: 483
. Other groups such as Can, Nue, and Faust occasionally punctuated that.

I sat and had a nice chat with Damo Suzuki about 2 weeks ago. A very nice & quiet man.
Agree about the scene. It's all lost in the multi-media explosion.

Teenage years had it's ups & downs. Was a bit of a social animal.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 03:52:04 AM »

oh how i wished i lived in that time period. ...except for that damned fashion, seriously man. how can you wear that sh*t?
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

BlueMeanie

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 04:27:03 AM »

Quote from: 15

I sat and had a nice chat with Damo Suzuki about 2 weeks ago. A very nice & quiet man.
Agree about the scene. It's all lost in the multi-media explosion.

Yes, interesting bloke. As is Holger Czukay. I like his stuff with David Sylvian.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 05:42:22 AM »

Quote from: 197
Bluemeanie, i second you about that myspace stuff, and seeing unknown bands..even though i'm only 15, i know what the music scene was like in the 70's and 70's, a lot better and different from now, where like you said, it is all internet based. I've heard various personal accounts from people saying they saw bands like Joy Division when they were unknown, and people who've claimed they saw the Beatles when they were unknown..my uncle saw Hendrix and the who before they were known in London, and it's definatley not the same now, the music scene now is crap, and the only band in England that have produced any excitment in the last year are the Arctic monkeys (which are now pretty much forgotten), and through myspace! so i definatley know where your coming from..do you know squeeze? My dad used to see them a few times in the 70's before they were massivley well known in England. :P
actually the who were the The Detours for a few years b4 they became the who and when keith joined they became the who,the high numbers did run run run and hendrix was strong studio session player since the early sixties,from 63 till he went to front his own band in england...he played for lonnie youngblood,little richard,curtis knight,wilson pickett,jackie wilson,tina turner, muddy waters, elmore james, B.B.
King, chuck berry, king curtis, solomon burke, chuck jackson and the isley brothers....he went by the name jimmy james in those early days...so basically he was already very well known in america but not releasing solo recordings...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 05:55:40 AM »

he only released 5 albums while he was alive...Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold
As Love, Electric Ladyland, Band of Gypsys, and Cry of Love....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 06:00:30 AM »

he was trying much longer than he was a star which was only 4 years......

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 10:46:54 AM »

Quote from: 284
actually the who were the The Detours for a few years b4 they became the who and when keith joined they became the who,the high numbers did run run run and hendrix was strong studio session player since the early sixties,from 63 till he went to front his own band in england...he played for lonnie youngblood,little richard,curtis knight,wilson pickett,jackie wilson,tina turner, muddy waters, elmore james, B.B.
King, chuck berry, king curtis, solomon burke, chuck jackson and the isley brothers....he went by the name jimmy james in those early days...so basically he was already very well known in america but not releasing solo recordings...

mmmm, i know about his history in the US, but i ment in London he wasn't well known, and didn't play the big clubs until early 67, when he came over to England in October 66', which is around when my uncle saw him.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 10:48:40 AM »

Quote from: 284
he was trying much longer than he was a star which was only 4 years......

Yeah, kinda sad when you think about it that way

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »

Are you sure cry of love was released during his life time? Me thinks not.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »

Quote from: 343
[...] ...except for that damned fashion, seriously man. how can you wear that sh*t?

Have you seen it nowadays?  ::) I prefer that one!  ;D

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 07:55:14 PM »

first of all...I think the thread title is a bit cheeky.

Never mind. You can't help it  :P

How was it to be a teenager? Sorry, can't remember, too long ago  :-/

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »

Quote from: 197
Are you sure cry of love was released during his life time? Me thinks not.

Agreed. Band Of Gypsies definately, but not Cry Of Love. Pretty sure only 3 studio albums were released in his lifetime.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »

I think I've said this before but all the 70's teenagers I knew were acutely aware that we had just missed out on the sixties. Something fantastic had happened and we'd just missed out. Kind of like arriving at the best party in the world only to find everyone had gone home.
I try not get to weepy about "the good old days." Blow-waves, disco (everywhere, all the time), War of The Worlds, tight trousers, car-less days, Dynasty and Dallas. Blah.
All in all, I think the nineties were the most enjoyable. We'd won the Cold War and everyone was optimistic. Everyone had money in their pockets, Grunge, Britpop and Dance ruled the clubs, suddenly more football on the telly than you could shake a stick at, the millenium was looming.......man, did we scew up.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 09:59:47 AM »

Quote from: 185
All in all, I think the nineties were the most enjoyable. We'd won the Cold War and everyone was optimistic. Everyone had money in their pockets, Grunge, Britpop and Dance ruled the clubs, suddenly more football on the telly than you could shake a stick at, the millenium was looming.......man, did we scew up.

I hated the pop culture of the 90s. Everyone in my school listened to euro house and gabber and all the hip kids wore those awful Australian training suits and Nike Air Max...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 78 queries.