Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please Please Me album - whats your story ?  (Read 8225 times)

nimrod

Please Please Me album - whats your story ?
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

I had this thought that most people have a story of how they came about buying or even just hearing and album so it'd be interesting to hear everyone's..

When the fab 4 became famous in England I was 9 years old, so too young to be buying records  ;D especially as an LP in england was an expensive proposition then, I was dead lucky though as I had a brother 5 years older than me who was earning money from doing a newspaper round and helping out on a market, all whilst still at school, anyway he bought the first singles they did and played the relentlessly on our big radiogram, a huge piece of furniture that has one big 12" speaker and valve type amplifier......boy did I play those records when my brother was out  ha2ha
Needless to say I became a huge fan of them even at that age and I remember having a plastic Beatles guitar that I used to mime to the early records with, it turns out that buying the first album mustve even been a bridge too far for my brother as all we got was the 4 song EP (like a mini album) so I had to make do with that until a year or two later when my bro finally bought it  ha2ha..........Im sure that was after With The Beatles though!!

7 of 13

• Getting Better
Re: Please Please Me album - whats your story ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »

yes. that's a nice, clean story nimrod, i take it you were living in england. i never have heard Please Please Me back to back, side to side, from one end to the other yet, though i do like the cover art. i have heard the album tracks one way or another, in fact some of my favorites are on there, and on some of those tracks johns singing is just magical.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:46:07 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

My story is really simple lol I was just bored one day so I decided to look up The Beatles first album and I loved it :D so I went directly to the record store and bought the remastered album ^_^ it's still one of my alltime favorites...that's also how I became a Beatles fan  ;yes
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »

yes. that's a nice, clean story nimrod, i take it you were living in england. i never have heard Please Please Me back to back, side to side, from one end to the other yet, though i do like the cover art. i have heard the album tracks one way or another, in fact some of my favorites are on there, and on some of those tracks johns singing is just magical.

Yes I grew up in Manchester England, since then I have lived in LA, then Brisbane Australia (for 20 years).

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »

Brisbane... I once danced in the rain with a Danish girl there. It was pouring. lol

Please Please Me is in my collection, so I probably bought it one day. Can't remember tho. I knew I already had Introducing The Beatles, which has an almost similar tracklist.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

Brisbane... I once danced in the rain with a Danish girl there. It was pouring. lol

I think it was raining the one time I was in Brisbane too.
Nimrod, you must feel right at home there, being from Manchester!
Only joking  ;)

Can't remember when I first bought the PPM album, but it will have been in the late 70s or early 80s. I first got into the Beatles when I was 9 - it was 1976 and EMI were putting out a lot of reissues before their contract expired, so The Beatles were everywhere. I got hooked and started getting albums one by one. Some were really cheap used copies and some I got new, if I had some Christmas money or whatever.
PPM I bought new - probably one of the last of the albums I got, actually. It was the two-box EMI label version and I still have it.
I remember loving the song Anna from the first time I heard it, and I still love it now.
Once I had a copy of every UK album I stopped buying Beatles vinyl for quite a few years, then about 15 years ago I started again, and now have stuff from all over the world. And one of my favourites is a black and gold label version of PPM - one of the first UK copies of the album.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »

Yes I grew up in Manchester England, since then I have lived in LA, then Brisbane Australia (for 20 years).
that's neat. perhaps you must have a compleat insiders view of the music scene, i would imagine.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

I think I was a Beatle fan from the time I was born... well, it feels like it. I don't know how I came upon them, I must have heard them on the radio or something when I was very young. I was 5 when they broke up.

All through my youth, teenage years I loved listening to them. When I was probably 17 or so, I saw Beatlemania! Now, I was really hooked. I would scan the radio dial until I heard a Beatles song (it was much more frequent back then). I finally realized how ridiculous that was so I stopped at a record store and bought '20 Greatest Hits' and 'Live At The Hollywood Bowl' on cassette. My collection continued to build, until I saw the Blue Box for the first time and knew I had to have one. When I brought it home, I started listening... Please Please Me was one of those albums. So I got everything all at once. Financially, it was not the best decision of my life, as I couldn't really afford it, but I just had to have it.

The rest is history. Now I have a huge collection...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

The first Beatles albums I bought were all in cassette format. I bought Please Please Me the same day I bought Sgt. Pepper's, and I already had Help!, Revolver and Let It Be. I wanted Please Please Me because it had "Twist And Shout", one of the few songs I knew before becoming a Beatles fan. I remember the first time I listened to "Love Me Do", I didn't know which song it was before listening to it, but strangely the same harmonica line came to my mind before the B-side of the cassette started. That was kinda scary, surely I may have heard the song before somewhere, but I had no idea that this song was "Love Me Do". Nice days those, when the Beatles were something new to me.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

bacon

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

I had only listened to Relvolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road, all of which were actually owned by my dad. I was intruiged by the complexity and bought Magical Mystery Tour, and was less than impressed. My friend gave me an issue of Life Story magazine about the Beatles and I became interested in what their early pop stuff sounded like. I downloaded Please Please Me, and was shocked by how much energy they could fit into 2-minute pop tunes. I became so hooked I bought the rest of their albums, the American soundtrack albums, and all the bootlegs I could find. and Please Please Me started it all.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »

Yep.  You're hooked alright, bacon.  Join the club.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

I have no idea when I first bought a copy of PPM. I know I have it a couple of times over on CD, but I dont think I ever bought it on vinyl.

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

I grew up with the US Capitol albums so I didn't hear it until a little over a year ago. Once I read about the marathon recording session that yielded most of this album I was eager to get ahold of it but I had to make do with borrowing it from the library system. Now I have the mono CD and it's still a real treat to listen to it and picture how it all went that day.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:14:28 AM »

I asked for The Beatles Stereo Box Set for the Christmas of 2010 and that was when I barely knew any Beatle songs (so I guess you may think it's stupid I asked for the box set) because the only way I can get into bands is if I listen to the songs off of albums, like I don't look up songs seperately because I wait until I get the album to listen to them, but I knew I was going to fall in love with them so I wasn't worried. Anyways, I remember when I first listened to Please Please Me, Misery appealed to me the most out of the whole album and it's still my favorite song from that album. I kept on replaying it and by the end of that I ended up knowing almost all of the words. I also remember thinking it was "funny" (I don't know a word to describe it) that three of their songs I knew was on the album, which were I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do and Twist And Shout (which ever since I found out it wasn't by the Beatles, I get bothered by the people who think it was written by them ha2ha ). Overall, my top three favorite songs from PPM is Misery, P.S. I Love You and Do You Want To Know A Secret.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »

I grew up with the US Capitol albums so I didn't hear it until a little over a year ago. Once I read about the marathon recording session that yielded most of this album I was eager to get ahold of it but I had to make do with borrowing it from the library system. Now I have the mono CD and it's still a real treat to listen to it and picture how it all went that day.

Pretty much the same for - me growing up in the U.S. I had no idea the British records were different until the 1987 CDs came out.

The mono Please Please Me is a real treasure.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 73 queries.