Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I don't get this...  (Read 9414 times)

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
I don't get this...
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

Ok, this is about the Beatles re-mastered CDs. Maybe this has already been discussed before or maybe I'm an idiot for not getting this. But anyways, I know that the sound quality of the songs have been enhanced by the re-masters. What I don't get is why some of the songs are not only enhanced, but different. Like in Please Please Me, on the second line of the third verse, it sounds like one of them (John or Paul) made a mistake or something. It sounds like one is singing "I know you never even try, girl" and the other is singing "I know I never even try, girl". It didn't sound like that before the re-masters. Then in Thank You Girl, there's a bit of harmonica at the end that wasn't there before.

Not that I don't like the re-masters, I love them. I just don't get this one thing about them. Maybe it's because (like the Please Please Me example) they're trying to present the songs more the way they should be? Maybe in the previous release of Please Please Me they covered up that mistake in that one line. And maybe now they intentionally didn't cover it up. I don't know...
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: I don't get this...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »

Ok, this is about the Beatles re-mastered CDs. Maybe this has already been discussed before or maybe I'm an idiot for not getting this. But anyways, I know that the sound quality of the songs have been enhanced by the re-masters. What I don't get is why some of the songs are not only enhanced, but different. Like in Please Please Me, on the second line of the third verse, it sounds like one of them (John or Paul) made a mistake or something. It sounds like one is singing "I know you never even try, girl" and the other is singing "I know I never even try, girl". It didn't sound like that before the re-masters. Then in Thank You Girl, there's a bit of harmonica at the end that wasn't there before.

Not that I don't like the re-masters, I love them. I just don't get this one thing about them. Maybe it's because (like the Please Please Me example) they're trying to present the songs more the way they should be? Maybe in the previous release of Please Please Me they covered up that mistake in that one line. And maybe now they intentionally didn't cover it up. I don't know...

I assume you're now listening to the stereo remastered version of the CDs, while the previous versions of those early period songs on CD have always been in mono.
The mistake on PPM is on the stereo version but not mono, and the stereo Thank You Girl has the extra harmonica bits.
Welcome to the joys of mono versus stereo!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:37:33 PM by peterbell1 »

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »

Thanks, guess I should've known that.  :) And yeah, I have the stereo remasters.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »

Thanks, guess I should've known that.  :) And yeah, I have the stereo remasters.

Dont worry, you have the good version.  ha2ha

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »

Dont worry, you have the good version.  ha2ha
Yes

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:37:04 AM »

And so that's why I bought both sets.  ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Beatlesrlove

• Getting Better
  • Beatlesrlove, Can you take so much Groovyness
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »

MONO'S THE BEST!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:07:09 AM »

I agree.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »

I'm used to mono for the first four albums and stereo for the rest. I think I will always prefer them that way.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »

I assume you're now listening to the stereo remastered version of the CDs, while the previous versions of those early period songs on CD have always been in mono.
The mistake on PPM is on the stereo version but not mono, and the stereo Thank You Girl has the extra harmonica bits.

Peter is absolutely right, when I got stereo versions many years ago (before remasters)I noticed that mistake, its fun to have both versions, thats why like HG I now have both in the remasters, stereo and mono, also If you grew up in the UK (like me) its great to have the mono set as all the CD packaging is like the original UK albums whereas in the stereo set they are completely different.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »

its great to have the mono set as all the CD packaging is like the original UK albums whereas in the stereo set they are completely different.

I don't get why they didn't do the same for the Stereo CD set.  icon_mad

Same with the 2012 stereo LP set!, they didn't have the flippover rear covers on all the Parlophone albums, but did it right with the mono set of LPs in 2014. ???

Can almost guaranty there will be an Analog Stereo LP set to come out next! 

Ughhh, re-issues, re-issues, re-issues!
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »

Indeed. I stopped buying them and I even regret buying the remasters.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »

I'll only get further CD reissues if, like The Kinks, all the albums appear with mono and stereo versions in the same package.
Until then, those late 1980s issues are fine and very cheap if bought second-hand.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »

Indeed. I stopped buying them and I even regret buying the remasters.
Happily I sold my 2012 Stereo set for more than I paid for it, and kept the Black box!   icon_good

I no longer have that regret!  ;D
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »

I don't get why they didn't do the same for the Stereo CD set.  icon_mad

Same with the 2012 stereo LP set!, they didn't have the flippover rear covers on all the Parlophone albums, but did it right with the mono set of LPs in 2014. ???

Can almost guaranty there will be an Analog Stereo LP set to come out next! 

The mono CD box was meant to a niche item for hard-core collectors.  Little did Apple know that those same collectors wanted the same packaging for the stereo box.

While I don't think there is anything wrong with the 2012 stereo vinyl set, the packaging of the 2014 mono set is (mostly) an improvement.  I do prefer the 2012 Magical Mystery Tour cover with the non-glued on book, even though it's not "authentic".
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 73 queries.