Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beatles 2009 Green Apple USB remasters beaf!  (Read 10410 times)

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
Beatles 2009 Green Apple USB remasters beaf!
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »

;sorry if this topics has come up before.

When Apple released this USB in 2009, it was:  a) Only in Stereo, no Mono version. WTF???

And more importantly, they had a chance to release songs in canon order, showing when singles/EPs were released (especially since most weren't released on LP at the time).

Instead they just shoved the 13 LP's (Capitol MMT) instead of the U.K. MMT EP, and threw on the Past Masters LP. Really, I didn't know that was original LP released in the 60's ????

Like how lazy (and incorrect) was that  ??? ??? ???

Rant over! icon_redface

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:53:29 PM by Bingo Bongo »
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles 2009 Green Apple USB remasters beaf!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Rick!

I didn't know this existed.  It sure saves a lot of space!   ;D

Back then, the closest thing we had to Past Masters was the Hey Jude LP.  Mine is labeled The Beatles Again.

Barry
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

Back then, the closest thing we had to Past Masters was the Hey Jude LP.  Mine is labeled The Beatles Again.

Barry

We had some discussion on the USB Apple here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=9809.msg238398#msg238398

Yes, it might save some space but the audio quality is surely not as good as the cd's.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »

Barry

I never bought that album for what ever reason.  For me it was the Red & Blue albums that were the space savers, until I started buying all the LPs

We had some discussion on the USB Apple here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=9809.msg238398#msg238398

Yes, it might save some space but the audio quality is surely not as good as the cd's.

Good reading Bobber. I couldn't find anything like that in my search, but good read. Glad I didn't waist my time & $$$ on it.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »

I haven't heard the USB stick, but I've read where some people think the FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit sounds better than the 16 bit CDs.  I would think the CDs would sound better than the MP3 320 Kbps format.  The stick has both options.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »

Vinyl still sounds the best to me.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

Vinyl still sounds the best to me.

I wish I could agree with you Barry, especially since I grew up on the vinyl, but to me since CD's came out, I just don't miss the pop, crackle, skips & scratches of vinyl. Sure these new re-issue LPs sound great, but eventually (sooner than later), you will start hearing it all again.  :-\

But since I don't play the new LPs, I guess, maybe I shouldn't insult the new vinyl. I bet they sound awesome, especially if you have a kick a$$ turntable.

One thing everyone loves about the albums, is they are just soooo beautiful to hold and look at.  A plastic CD case or USB, just doesn't do it justice.

True story (I own the Original UK LPs), and although I listen to the Beatles on my iPod through my stereo, I still like to pull out those albums to look at while playing the music.  Brings me back to those days...... party2

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:47 PM »

I would think the CDs would sound better than the MP3 320 Kbps format. 

This is true in theory, but in the practice I don't see a big difference. Actually, I've converted all my Beatles CDs to MP3 192 Kbps and I'm still happy with the sound. Even MP3 128 Kbps sounds ok to my ears. I guess that I'm not an audiophile, I just enjoy the music.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »

This is true in theory, but in the practice I don't see a big difference. Actually, I've converted all my Beatles CDs to MP3 192 Kbps and I'm still happy with the sound. Even MP3 128 Kbps sounds ok to my ears. I guess that I'm not an audiophile, I just enjoy the music.

I think it's also a function of the equipment you listen on. For Bluetooth speakers, computer speakers or earphones the MP3 format is probably fine. And that's basically what I use now. The days of having huge systems with super high fidelity speakers and massive woofers seems to be diminishing. Perhaps on those systems the difference might be noticeable from CDs.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »

I think it's also a function of the equipment you listen on. For Bluetooth speakers, computer speakers or earphones the MP3 format is probably fine. And that's basically what I use now. The days of having huge systems with super high fidelity speakers and massive woofers seems to be diminishing. Perhaps on those systems the difference might be noticeable from CDs.

I have a pretty good equipment, not the best, but pretty good. And I do know that there is a real difference between MP3 and CD, but I just notice it if I do an immediate comparison. My point is that while MP3 is not the best quality, it's still acceptable to my ears, and it's also a very practical way to store music.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:20 AM »

I think also a point to bear in mind is that 60's music wasnt recorded that well, tracks were bounced and squashed onto other tracks on the tape machine due to having only 4 tracks to play with, so you dont notice much difference between 320 mp3 and CD, whereas if you listen very well recorded music, you can hear the difference a lot, albums like Alan Parsons 'Eye In The Sky' for example.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »

I think also a point to bear in mind is that 60's music wasnt recorded that well, tracks were bounced and squashed onto other tracks on the tape machine due to having only 4 tracks to play with, so you dont notice much difference between 320 mp3 and CD, whereas if you listen very well recorded music, you can hear the difference a lot, albums like Alan Parsons 'Eye In The Sky' for example.

Yes, you're right in that point. The original source is always a limit of quality.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

I have a pretty good equipment, not the best, but pretty good.  My point is that while MP3 is not the best quality, it's still acceptable to my ears, and it's also a very practical way to store music.

Same here.  I use my iPhone/iPod to plug into the Car stereo & the Home stereo and it's very acceptable. Matter fact I bought some nice beats headphones for when I walk the dog, and all my music sounds fabulous on them. Even more recent music.

I know you'll always hear that vinyl is warmer sounding, but I just don't miss it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:21:15 PM by Bingo Bongo »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »

I like the idea of vinyl. And as a total package;  the cover art, the sleeves etc I don't think it can be beaten. Getting a record for birthday or Christmas was a real present. But I don't miss records that skip. Or crackle and hiss. And have to be changed every 20 minutes. I'm more than happy, from an audio and convenience perspective, with CDs or mp3s.

I do miss getting records as presents though. 

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »

I like the idea of vinyl. And as a total package;  the cover art, the sleeves etc I don't think it can be beaten. Getting a record for birthday or Christmas was a real present. But I don't miss records that skip. Or crackle and hiss. And have to be changed every 20 minutes. I'm more than happy, from an audio and convenience perspective, with CDs or mp3s.

I do miss getting records as presents though.

I have a few LP's, only about 20, I never play them, I have nothing to play them on, but I like to keep them for nostalgia reasons

Most of my cd's are in a suitcase in the garage and have been for a few years, all my music is digital on my laptop, tablet & phone, I havent put a CD on or bought a CD for about 4 years
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »

128 does not sound all that good to me.  iTunes 256 AAC isn't bad.  320 mp3 is okay.  I still think CDs and lossless digital files sound a little better.  Of course, it really is about how something is recorded and mastered.  So many modern recordings are "brickwalled" - loud, no dynamic range.  Recordings made for portable devices.

KelMar

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 02:27:36 AM »

128 does not sound all that good to me.  iTunes 256 AAC isn't bad.  320 mp3 is okay. 

All my digital music is in the Apple Lossless format. It just dawned on me one day that what I was hearing on my iPod didn't really sound that great so I did some research and went with that. I still don't think it sounds as good as Pandora One (the premium version) but I think that's the best I can do with an Apple device. Isn't it? It's still a little puzzling to me!

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »

Hi res audio seems to be the latest miracle.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »

All my digital music is in the Apple Lossless format. It just dawned on me one day that what I was hearing on my iPod didn't really sound that great so I did some research and went with that. I still don't think it sounds as good as Pandora One (the premium version) but I think that's the best I can do with an Apple device. Isn't it? It's still a little puzzling to me!

Apple lossless is good. It's uncompressed, the same as FLAC. Same quality as the source CD.  I upload all my CDs to my hard drive using this format.

My iPod also has lossless files only.  It takes up a little more space but I can still fit a lot of music on it.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »

Hi res audio seems to be the latest miracle.

I've bought a few things from HDTracks when I had coupons and they do sound very good.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.872 seconds with 78 queries.