Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: If you were to make a mix or best of Beatles in Mono box set...  (Read 7384 times)

aerolls

• One And One Is Two
If you were to make a mix or best of Beatles in Mono box set...
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »

I'm compiling a best of Beatles in Mono box set for a friend of mine who's on the fence.

Besides having both Sgt. Pepper and The White Album, I'm attempting to gather individual songs for my buddy to convince him to go with the mono mixes.

I already have She's Leaving Home, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Don't Pass Me By...

I'm trying to find mono versions that really stand out from their stereo counterparts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

ArthurVandelay

• One And One Is Two
Re: If you were to make a mix or best of Beatles in Mono box set...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:57 AM »

I'm Only Sleeping comes to mind.

aerolls

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »

Good choice, I also am leaning towards Paperback writer as another one. Love the echo on the harmony vocal that so much clearer on mono version.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »

Magical Mystery Tour, Baby Your A Rich Man, Taxman, Help!

czgibson

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »

There are loads of tiny differences between the mono and stereo versions all over the place. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Tomorrow Never Knows has a number of differences - the most noticeable is maybe the backwards guitar solo starting at 1:07, which sounds much fatter and more processed in the mono version.

Help! has the same instrumental but a different vocal take.

The first Sgt. Pepper track has more prominent guitar at 1:55 (I prefer it buried as in the stereo, for what it's worth), while the Sgt. Pepper Reprise has different crowd noise and the sound of Paul shouting something in the background at 1:09.

There are lots of others.

Here is a very thorough guide to variations among Beatles recordings. And I mean thorough!

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »

For me the best new experience listening to mono versions is the white album.
I think in particular George's songs benefit the most.  

"I'm so Tired" is awesome in mono.  Pauls backing vocals are now loud,
and give you chills the 1st time.

"Piggies" is more interesting now.  The vocals are clear, the background noises are LOUD.
It's somewhat scary if you imagine the Manson family sitting around listening to this song.

"Savoy Truffle"  -  This song may not be one you come back to often, but here is a track that shines in mono.  You can now pick out all of the Beatle's voices.  While not as clear and stunning as the I'm so Tired bit, the vocal difference is big.  I can hear George's guide vocal along with the his more powerful lead.  John's voice also rising above the background harmonies that were once buried in stereo.  It's as if the songs are coming alive in a whole new way.

"Long, Long, Long"  - The highlight here for me was Ringo's drums.  This song just sounds so beautiful and full overall in mono.  Paul is right in the room with you on those background vocals

"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"  - John Lennon's vocals are beautiful on this mono version.   So clear and powerful.  He must surely still be alive.   Paul's bass stands out all over the remasters, and here is another track is partically shines.

"Helter Skelter"  - This track is even more powerful now.  Paul's vocals are clear and powerful like John in Bungalow Bill.  Everything is so clear and in focus here.  The background vocals are now
clear and effective.  Along with just the overal quality impressive, you are hearing things in the background vocals that were buried before.  

Other highlights:
"It's All Too Much"  was a fun fresh experience on mono as well.  The song just flat out grooves/rocks.
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"  - The vocals and feel feel different that the stereo version.

I think in general I wanted a new listening experience.  Something fresh, and exciting.
didn't really get that from the stereo remasters, but the mono is a different story.
To some the question is which is better the mono or stereo.
To me the mono are different more than better, so it's more interesting to hear them now.
In the long run I think the stereo version will win out on most tracks, but there
are still some songs that will always sound better in mono.  The White Album and Sgt. Peppers especially.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »

For me the best new experience listening to mono versions is the white album.

"Helter Skelter"  - This track is even more powerful now.  Paul's vocals are clear and powerful like John in Bungalow Bill.  Everything is so clear and in focus here.  The background vocals are now
clear and effective.  Along with just the overal quality impressive, you are hearing things in the background vocals that were buried before. 

I still can't phantom listening to this without Ringo screaming "I've Got Blisters On My Fingers", which is only on the Stereo LP!  :o
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 47 queries.