Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dennis Wilson  (Read 9073 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Dennis Wilson
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:38:40 AM »

Quote from: 971
Are there any good books on Dennis Wilson ?

Yeah, "The Real Beach Boy" by Jon Stebbins. It's currently out of print and very hard to find, but I read that an updated new version will be out soon.

There's also a book called "Denny Remembered", but that's not very good. It's mostly xeroxed black and white photos and poems by fans and stuff like that.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »

Quote from: 56

Yeah, "The Real Beach Boy" by Jon Stebbins. It's currently out of print and very hard to find, but I read that an updated new version will be out soon.

There's also a book called "Denny Remembered", but that's not very good. It's mostly xeroxed black and white photos and poems by fans and stuff like that.

Thank you Joost , hopefully the first book you mention will go back into print now with the success of POB charting so high .
(smile)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »

Wow, impressive chart entry! i will be getting my copy tomorrow at last!
it'll be so great to finally have it in my Beach Boys collection!  :) :) :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 06:30:57 PM »

Thank you Joost , hopefully the first book you mention will go back into print now with the success of POB charting so high .
(smile)

The same writer, Jon Stebbins, recently wrote another book called "The Lost Beach Boy". Really a fascinating book, even for anyone who's not that much of a Beach Boys fan. It's about David Marks, a neighbor of the Wilson family who in 1962 was asked to join the band at age 14, shortly after the group's first hit single came out. He experienced fame and fortune for about a year and then quit after an argument with manager Murry Wilson. He then spend most of the rest of his life trying to get back into the spotlights, got really close a few times, but eventually failed and became a junkie. He eventually sobered up and even shortly rejoined the Beach Boys in the late 90s. He's got quite a story to tell.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »

I found the original LP a couple of years ago in a way that every record collector nerd dreams about.

I'd been looking for the LP for years. On EBay it usually went for 100+ euros, so I was hoping to find it for a bit less on a record fair. Plus, I don't really like EBay... Finding a record you really wanted in a dusty old box is so much more exciting that ordering it with a few clicks of your mouse... I was willing to pay up to 80 euros for the LP, but I never even found it anywhere. Then one day I was at a really tiny record fair. It sucked, mostly people who sold cheap second hand CDs and hardly any interesting vinyl. Then I saw a guy with the POB LP in his hands. So I stepped up to him and saw that it was priced at 7,50... I asked the guy if he was going to buy it. He said "Not sure... It's not the right Wilson." I said I'd been looking for the record and asked if he would let me buy it. He said "Yeah... But hurry up, before I change my mind".  

Thanks man... :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »

Did'nt know Dennis had made a film called "Two Lane Blacktop " with James Taylor and Warren Oats in the 70's , it was a road movie .
Something else i need to checkout .(smile)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »

Quote from: 614
Wow, impressive chart entry! i will be getting my copy tomorrow at last!
it'll be so great to finally have it in my Beach Boys collection!  :) :) :)

Think you will like this album Andy , i'm loving it can't stop playing it

(smile)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »

Did'nt know Dennis had made a film called "Two Lane Blacktop " with James Taylor and Warren Oats in the 70's , it was a road movie .
Something else i need to checkout .(smile)

Yeah, that one's really cool. It's a nihilistic, dark, somewhat artsy movie and it's pretty unusual. When I saw it I didn't really know what to think of it, but I couldn't get the movie out of my head for the next few days.

Bizarre thing about it is that three of the four main actors died young. Laurie Bird committed suicide in 1979 at age 25 (she was Art Garfunkel's girlfriend at the time), Warren Oates died of a heart attack in 1982 at age 53 and Dennis drowned in 1983 at age 39.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »

Doe's Dennis have a big part in the film Joost ? HMV have it in stock so i think a little shopping is in order tomorrow LOL
Also which of the 70's Beach Boys albums was Dennis more involved in i've read there are some of his songs on " Sunflower " ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »

Quote from: 56

Yeah, that one's really cool. It's a nihilistic, dark, somewhat artsy movie and it's pretty unusual. When I saw it I didn't really know what to think of it, but I couldn't get the movie out of my head for the next few days.

Bizarre thing about it is that three of the four main actors died young. Laurie Bird committed suicide in 1979 at age 25 (she was Art Garfunkel's girlfriend at the time), Warren Oates died of a heart attack in 1982 at age 53 and Dennis drowned in 1983 at age 39.

Spooky

(beammeup)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »

Doe's Dennis have a big part in the film Joost ?

Yeah. I think him and James Taylor probably get more screen time than anyone else.

Also which of the 70's Beach Boys albums was Dennis more involved in i've read there are some of his songs on " Sunflower " ?

Dennis songs on BB albums:
Friends (1968 ): 2 songs, "Little Bird" is great, "Be Still" is short and sounds unfinished.
20/20 (1969): 2 songs, "Be With Me" is great, "Never Learn Not To Love" is haunting and is actually a Charles Manson composition that Dennis reworked and got full credit for.
Sunflower (1970): 4 songs, "Slip On Through" and "It's About Time" are great rockers, "Got To Know The Woman" is funny and tongue-in-cheek yet very soulful, "Forever" is a gorgeous ballad.
Surf's Up (1971): no songs, after a dispute over the track sequencing Dennis pulled all his compositions from the album.
Carl & The Passions (1972): 2 songs, "Make It Good" is boring and uninspired, "Cuddle Up" is an incredible ballad/soundscape.
Holland (1973): 2 songs, "Steamboat" is boring, "Only With You" is touching.
15 Big Ones (1976): no songs.
Love You (1977): no songs.
MIU Album (1978 ): no songs.
LA Light Album (1979): 2 songs, an alternate version of "Love Surrounds Me" is on "Bambu", "Baby Blue" is not really special.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »

Thank You  Joost , "Never Learn To Love " is the one i saw Dennis singing on Youtube i think .
Think i will get Sunflower , 20/20 and Carl & The Passions if they have them , i only have "Pet Sounds" and a Best of The Beach Boys CD , so i think i need to add to my collection of BB records .
I did read on the net Brian and Dennis recorded some songs in the early 80's is this true ?
 I wonder if there will be a Best Of Dennis Wilson at some point  ,it seems their is enough material that could be collected together . I can see him becoming a real cult artist ?
(thumbsup)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »

Yeah, I believe there's a video around of Dennis singing Never Learn Not To Love live on a TV show.

The Beach Boys albums (except Pet Sounds) are not available seperately, only on so-called 'two-fers'. That's two full albums on one budget CD and the pre-1970 albums even have bonus tracks. Pretty good deal, huh? Sunflower is coupled with Surf's Up, 20/20 with Friends and Carl & The Passions with Holland.

Brian and Dennis recording in the 1980s? I guess you mean the so-called 'Cocaine Sessions'? Those are the only ones I know of... The Cocaine Sessions are just home recordings of Brian and Dennis jamming while high on cocaine. I've never heard these recordings (they've never been released, I'm not even sure they've been bootlegged), but I've been told that it's possibly the most embarrassing material ever put on tape by any Beach Boy (and that's saying something).

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »

Oh, and here's another interesting thing:

Billy Preston wrote "You Are So Beautiful" (probably best known in Joe Cocker's version) at a party with Dennis Wilson also present. Even though Dennis was never credited, most people who were there claim that Dennis co-wrote the song. Dennis usually sang that song as an encore during Beach Boys concerts in the late 70s and early 80s.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:13 AM »

Forever is my favourite Dennis Wilson song! it's just so beautiful!  :)
i have all the BB albums on cd & the great thing is that you get 2 albums on
1 cd!! if you buy the wonderful Sunflower album , you will get it doubled up with
the Surf's Up album.

You must get Sunflower DaveRam, it's amazing, i guarentee it!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 01:13:36 AM »

Quote from: 614
Forever is my favourite Dennis Wilson song! it's just so beautiful!  :)
i have all the BB albums on cd & the great thing is that you get 2 albums on
1 cd!! if you buy the wonderful Sunflower album , you will get it doubled up with
the Surf's Up album.

You must get Sunflower DaveRam, it's amazing, i guarentee it!  ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing  "Sunflower " Andy . Getting "Pacific Ocean Blue" as rekindled my interest in the Beach Boys , their a group i've always liked , just never got round to checking them out in any great depth .
(smile)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 02:23:01 AM »

denny is my fave beach boy....he was good natured and a real likeable guy but he was too easily taken advantage of...just think if he never got rid of charlie....he might be still alive but doing time...dennis was what started the beach theme in their music,thank the stars,murray would have been happy with the 4 preps but fun lover he was dennis showed them the way...and had fun doing it...he probally was the least serios beach boy but was a driving force...i enjoyed his plagarism too...if you rip off charlie manson you better be damn sure you aren't worried...i do miss their music...i have carl and the passions,p o b and a few boots besides most of their commerical releases...and i don't think they made any better music until pet sounds arrived....too bad rubber soul stole its glitz....

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »

Quote from: 284
denny is my fave beach boy....he was good natured and a real likeable guy but he was too easily taken advantage of...just think if he never got rid of charlie....he might be still alive but doing time...

I don't believe that. Dennis only hung out with the Manson Family because of the orgies. He tried to get rid of them as soon as he found out how crazy Manson really was. He wasn't crazy enough for the Family.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 05:40:44 AM »

Joost, may I ask you, why are you more of a fan of the Beach Boys than the Beatles?

I'm not going to crucify you for your preference, so please feel free to answer.  But I'm curious.  Where do the Beatles fall short for you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.982 seconds with 77 queries.