Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: In BBC interview, Starr says eBay sellers were to blame for autograph ban  (Read 1629 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

In BBC interview, Ringo Starr says eBay sellers were to blame for mail autograph ban

Ringo Starr, currently in the UK to promote his new CD, “Y Not,” discussed what was behind his 2008 ban on autographs by mail in an interview with BBC disc jockey Sir Terry Wogan. He says it was his frustration with finding his autographs being put up the next day on eBay.

“I stopped giving autographs. I’d done millions,” he tells Wogan in the interview. “And it was getting bad really because you were signing and then they were on eBay the next day. So people were making money off of me. And so, anyway, I just decided I think I’ve done my share. That’s it.”

Wogan said he thought it was “a brave thing to do.” “I just thought, ‘It’s time’,”  Starr replied.

In an abrupt video message on his website in October, 2008, Ringo Starr told fans, “I want to tell you after the 20th of October please do not send fan mail to any address that you have. Nothing will be signed after the 20th of October.” In an explanation issued after the video, the eBay autographs were mentioned as the reason, but said, “This message was not aimed at ‘real fans’ and after over 45 yrs of signing we know they will understand.” A further statement obtained by Abbeyrd’s Beatles Page said that autographs were still possible “such as when he is again on tour or engaged in any promotions.”

He said the reaction to the announcement surprised him. “I honestly didn’t think it was going to be world news - BBC or CNN.”

Wogan told Starr he looked great and asked what he did to stay healthy. Starr said he works out, watches what he eats and “generally looks after myself.” He also said his wife, Barbara Bach, accompanied him on the trip to the UK. “We’re married 30 years any minute now.”

Starr also talked about his son Zak Starkey following in his footsteps. “He’s a well-respected drummer. And so he should be.”

He said the “Y Not” album started out in a bedroom using Pro-Tools. “I just started putting stuff down. And then in L.A., it’s great because if you passed our house, you’re on the record. And so, I got a lot of good players. I got Joe Walsh on there because he married Barbara’s sister. They were living in our guest house so he couldn’t get away.”

The interview included playing “Walk With You,” the song on the “Y Not” CD that features backup vocals by Paul McCartney. Starr says McCartney’s contribution on the song came about after his fellow Beatle, in town for the Grammy Awards, came by his house because Starr had asked him to play on another song, “Peace Dream.” He then heard “Walk With You,” and McCartney said, “I’ve got something for that.” “That was his invention and that’s why he’s a genius, I like to say,” Starr said in the interview.

Starr said that the Beatles endure. “The Beatles go on and on. The thing that is great about the Beatles is that the music is still relevant and is still out there, you what I mean? It’s just incredible. We’ve left the music. I mean Paul and I have changed a little.”

“Hardly noticeable,” Sir Terry Wogan interjected.

“He’s changed more than me, I’ll tell you,” Starr joked.

Ringo Starr’s full interview from “Weekend Wogan” is available online.

Source: http://www.ringofstars.ru/across/?p=11482

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning

Ringo Starr interviewed on Weekend Wogan

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 38 queries.