Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Has George Been Forgotten?  (Read 11301 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Has George Been Forgotten?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 11:17:38 PM »

I tell you what guys. I thought I saw George Harrison at a wedding I was at today.

I wish I could have taken a picture. This guy was the spitting image. ( I nearly broke off into an instant rendition of 'Something.' lol)

If I get any copies of the wedding pics I will post him up for sure.

Back to the point........he ain't gonna be forgotten with us kind of desciples around. I agree with JR on the way Harrison has been handled with great thought by his family. Very respectfully done.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »

Quote from: raxo
Let's see this November (5th anniversary) ... George's family is not Yoko (thanks, God .. or whatever) but I hope there will be another album of George's stuff in near future ... it's up to Olivia and Dhani.

"There are several new George Harrison reissues in the works this year. Beatlefan magazine reported that Harrison's son Dhani said that among the projects on the front burner is a box set featuring remastered versions of Harrison's Apple records from 1968 to 1975, a new career-spanning greatest hits collection, a CD and DVD of Harrison's only solo U.S. tour from 1974, as well as reissues of all the albums from the artists on Harrison's Dark Horse record label from the mid-'70s. Harrison's widow Olivia added that Harrison was working on his own Anthology video project at the time of his death in 2001 that she'd like to see finished. No word on when that or the proposed box set of solo outtakes and demos will see the light of day. Earlier this month, the first book to fully chronicle Harrison's religious and spiritual life, titled Here Comes The Sun: The Spiritual And Musical Journey Of George Harrison, was published. Author Joshua Greene, who recorded with Harrison in 1970 while a part of the Radha Krishna Temple -- a Krishna sect -- recalled to us that he was amazed at how down to earth Harrison was in the recording studio: We came in, he said hello to his friends, slapped a few old buddies on the back. Then he started laughing and yukking it up about people's reactions to a rock group with shaved heads -- because he was putting out these albums of Sanskrit mantras. Then he looked at
his watch and said 'Y'know, we better get started, this studio is costing us 40 pounds-an-hour.'That was impressive. He might've been a Beatle, he might've been one of the richest, most successful guys around -- but he was very practical."

Among the albums set to released as part of the upcoming George Harrison "Apple Years" box set will be 1968's Wonderwall, 1969's Electronic Sound, 1973's Living In The Material World, 1974's Dark Horse, and 1975's Extra Texture (Read All About It).

Harrison's All Things Must Pass and The Concert For Bangladesh albums from 1970 and 1971, respectively, have already been reissued in expanded and remastered versions, as have all the albums in his 1976-1992 catalogue."

http://maxwelledison.blogspot.com/2006/02/george-harrisons-widow-has-multiple.html

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 05:47:09 PM »

... or remember ... another point of view ...

Not Guilty
A review of Marc Shapiro's "Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this will probably make guys like Martin Lewis -- a well known and respected Beatle "insider" expert -- blow a 50-amp fuse, but I actually think that Marc Shapiro's "Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison" (or click here to order the British editon) is a somewhat valuable addition to the magical mystery tour, AKA the never ending Beatle saga.

Of course, the 231 page hardcover, released only months after Harrison's death from cancer in November 2001, is chock full of the kind of dumb factual errors -- the first Plastic Ono Band album is called "The Primal Scream Therapy Album" -- and slightly irregular timelines that could tend to invalidate the whole work. But I think not because this is not a book about facts, but rather one of impressions and analysis of feelings and reactions and scrutinized intent. Sort of like a lay man's PSYCH 101 de-construction of one of the most famous "quiet" men to have walked the earth.

So it should come as no surprise, therefore, that Shapiro finds a deeply flawed and damaged ex-Beatle and solo performer, who had a downright pathological personality that confounded and confused friend and foe alike.

Shapiro writes that George was actually complicit in the messy late 60s love triangle between Eric Clapton and George's wife Pattie. "While George seemed to take the high road, there was much in his actions that, perhaps deliberately, was destined to cause his wife and best friend the maximum amount of pain and discomfort -- revenge, if you will -- in a way that only a quiet man like George Harrison could inflict."

And while clearly this is only Shapiro's opinion based on the observed situation from afar, it would appear to jibe with Harrison's famous "I don't care anymore," mind-set when it came to anything that fundamentally frustrated and stalled him.

To me, this look into George's "inner light" is what Shapiro's book is best at. Which is to say that regardless of whether everything in the tome is "true," -- in whatever definition you choose to give to "truth," in the Beatle world -- it still creates a debate on what made Mr. Harrison tick. And it would appear George ticked very eccentrically, to be kind.

I think that Shapiro has a solid argument when, upon examination of Harrison's career, George is shown to be somewhat of a slacker when it comes to making good at how good musically he thought himself to be.

Shapiro says that after the monster -- and totally un-expected -- smash success of "All Things Must Pass," George grew more withdrawn and bitter about the music business after Harrison was sued for copyright infringement on "My Sweet Lord."

Then, when his follow-up to ATMP, "Living In The Material World," was pretty much dissed by the major rock press, yet still sold well, George basically smoked a lot of dope and stopped giving a sh*t what anyone thought, leading to a long period of personal and professional decline that was to last well into the 80s.

Yet Harrison WAS extremely talented when he chose and many fans and critics alike consider ATMP to be the "best" solo Beatle release by a long shot. So why couldn't he do it again?

It would appear that Shapiro has deduced that, notwithstanding substance abuse, George was basically a petulant, immature and hypocritical albeit quiet "star" who simply refused to apply himself.

When Harrison dabbled in films with his own Hand Made Films, an ill-fated team-up with Sean Penn and Madonna turned him off film making. When he got p*ssed off at A&M Records when they first rejected his late 70s album, "Somewhere In England," he sort of said "screw the whole thing" and the album came out and went nowhere in the world. Then George has substantial hit with "All Those Years Ago" in 1981, a tribute to John Lennon, but followed it up with perhaps the worst piece of tripe ever released by an ex-Beatle, the universally panned, "Gone Troppo." It would not be until 1987's "Cloud Nine," "Traveling Willburys" and a well-received tour of Japan that George would awaken.

And Shapiro says that while George was preaching Krishna consciousness throughout the '60s and '70s and even '80s, he was also getting loaded a lot and chasing women, two very un-Krishna-like hobbies. Although I think this would tend to indicate that George was only human, rather than theological shyster.

But by the early 90s, Shapiro paints a picture of a man who has been so psychically damaged by the rigors of fame that he would rather garden than rock. Shapiro then says that George's wife, Olivia, held Harrison together and that George appeared to be really happy for the first time in his life.

George had survived a first cancer scare in 1988 and then contributed well to the Threatles reunion on the Anthology Series in 1995.

But by by 1997, the cancer had returned and George would be dead within 4 years, despite a spirited fight against the disease.

It appears to me that Shapiro has had a go at George absent malice, or otherwise known in Beatle circles as absent Goldman, the late author Albert, that is, who ripped the Lennon legend to tatters in the mid 80s. I can read no mean and nasty in this book but rather an interesting thesis on why George Harrison was such a "sad" fellow, who perhaps under achieved as an artist after such a great uni start in 1970.

Perhaps, Shapiro's short mention of the Rutles parody of the Beatles deserved more examination. Of course, George always loved a chance to skewer the Fabs, especially Paul McCartney, and Harrison readily endorsed Eric Idle's vision of him as "Stig," the quiet Beatle "who had not said anything since 1963."

George even had a cameo in the film playing an interviewer who asks, "Who hurt Stig?"

Stig is played by one time Beach Boy Ricky Fattar with such a dopey, deadpan, "quietness," that maybe this WAS the real George Harrison. Could Stig, who was described in the film as a "school leaver" and depicted as being punched out by a 12-year old girl, be the real alter ego of George Harrison?

In other words was George really just having us on all these years ago? Sort of a within-and-without and up-and-around you?

I'd say read this book and then give it some serious thought. You may find in Harrison's "sadness," there was gladness disguised as gorm from a real rebel with no cause.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/notguilty.html

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »

A letter from Louise Harrison, George's sister ...

A retrospective on the past 58 years
With love to George, and my Global Family of Beatle People /12.08.01

By Louise Harrison

George Harrison's sister, Louise Harrison (Photo by Alan Levenson.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec. 8, 2001
Some fifty eight years ago when I was eleven, my Mom let me hold my new eight hour old, baby brother in my arms. I love all three brothers very much, but I suppose because I had now reached the mature age of eleven, I felt a greater sense of protectiveness toward George.

The four of us grew up in a strong and secure, good natured family atmosphere. Mum and Dad nurtured us in a way that helped us grow into self-confident individuals with a great compassion for our fellow Earthlings. Although we were not financially rich, we never felt deprived in any way. Due to WW2 even the really rich didn't have much of anything anyway!

George and I shared many experiences, including the excitement and fun of the early Beatle years, the search for a better understanding of our Creator, why are we here on Earth? and do we have any real purpose? George's search led him, amongst other things, to a book called "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. In about 1969, George sent me a copy of the book and soon thereafter I joined the Self-Realization Fellowship which Yogananda founded in 1925 in California.

George was delighted when I showed him my membership card and with a mischievous grin said to me (knowing some of the goof-ups I had made in my life), "Maybe now you will become my divine sister!" With an equally mischievous grin I replied, "I'd like to try, but it won't come easy." His reply: "Nothing worthwhile ever does!"

During the Bangla Desh era, we spent much time together and both learned you cannot perform a spontaneous good deed, you have to have a (501) C-3 first!

Another significant experience we shared was the deaths about seven years apart, of both of our loving, strong and good-humored parents.

During the early Beatle days, Mum and Dad had eagerly embraced their growing global family of Beatle people, replying to thousands of letters, making personal appearances at many charitable events, often to raise money for orphans. They encouraged me to reach out also, noting it was logistically impossible for the Boys themselves to greet their fans individually, but that we, as 'the non famous" Harrison's could much more easily greet people acknowledge their support and return their love. Once Mum and Dad passed, having inherited their love for people, I became the unofficial Mum to the family of Beatle People. I have always seen this role as 1) a great responsibility, and 2) a great privilege. Not many people get the opportunity to foster love where ever they go!

Many of the Beatle People I met and hugged, throughout the years, are now my real and loving friends. (Thanks for your love and support at this time.)

I learned from SRF, if you truly believe the Creator is within you: a) You are connected with love to all who also contain that spirit. b) You can never think any thought, or perform any act 'behind God's back' and c) Your spirit cannot be adversely affected by the happenings in this finite and imperfect world. Living with those credos one can only think and act with total purity of purpose. In late 1992, I formed a non-profit environmental organization, called Drop-In! It was a continuation of the spirit of many of the "messages" embodied in the Beatle phenomenon. We also included some of the things I had learned from the SRF.

Initially I explained the general ideas of Drop-In to George and invited him to be on the Board, but he said to me, "No Lou, this is your mission or dharma. This is the task you have to do. Besides, it seems you have tapped into a "Power" greater than any help I can give. "

Although he did not join the Board, he DID offer to let me use his song "Save the World" as a musical backdrop to the 170 public service announcements called Good EarthKeeping Tips, which I researched, wrote and broadcast on 9,200 radio stations during 1993 and 1994.

An event occurred in the mid 90's which at first, though it was being touted as 'historical' I found, with Monty Python humor, to be rather "hysterical." The house, which George visited in 1963 -- the first visit of a Beatle to the United States -- was to be torn down to make a parking lot. Many people wanted to save the house. In answer to much prodding I agreed to help. To cut a long story short, the house was saved, a group of neighbors bought the house, then, owning a house they didn't need, wondered what to do with it! The solution was to make it into a Bed & Breakfast.

A historical marker will be issued in 2013, 50 years after George's visit. Many historical markers seem to commemorate a situation where "one bunch of humans slaughtered another bunch of humans." I, with a touch of whimsy, thought, "Maybe we are evolving to a higher state of consciousness if, instead of death and destruction, we now think it worth while to commemorate a kind and decent young man who gave only love, wonderful music and kindness to the world."

I expected George might be a bit embarrassed by all this, but knowing him to be the man who made such efforts for the people of Bangla Desh, I didn't think he would be too upset if the little, four bedroom B & B with the "slight Beatle connection" helped, in a tiny way, the nice friendly people he had known in 1963 . They are so proud of him and the area is not as thriving as it was in 1963, because most of coal mines are now closed. I tried to help the owners a bit, (they have done such a wonderful job) by getting involved in some publicity to promote the B & B.

A few weeks ago I was in Toronto on business when I learned that my brother was in Staten Island. I decided to take the long way home to Illinois via New York and stop to see him. We had a lovely visit, sharing a few old family jokes and were able to look into each other's eyes with love, just as we had 58 years ago when first we met. He will, of course, live happily ever after, with his Sweet Lord.

I still have to accomplish my mission here on Earth.

Foot-Note, or should I say Leg-End? (That's just an album plug) Four days after my brother's passing, I was informed that a minor segment of the press was involved in some Lou-bashing. This was NOT the best time to hear such news, but I know for sure, this now 70-year-old, single lady has not been involved in any scandal, so I am not concerned. The many thousands of people who know me will ignore any negativity, and as George once sang "Gossip, gossip, the Devil's radio!'
Having now seen the reports, all I can say is this: The house which supposedly caused a 40- or 11-year rift, depending on which report you read, only became a B & B in 1996! I personally do not, and never have, owned such a venture. Case closed.

So: Let it be, and as George said, All things must pass, even Gossip!

(Boy, those Beatles knew how to come up with great song titles, didn't they!)

Till next time, Cheerio! P.S., I love you. Please plant a tree!

Louise Harrison
Southern Illinois, USA
December 9th 2001.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/louharrison.html

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »

There was the Concert for George, that was a fitting tribute.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle
If I get any copies of the wedding pics I will post him up for sure.

Got those pics yet Rick? :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »

... where are the most a-waiting re-issues? ::)

komakino

• Getting Better
  • fly me to the moon
    • last.fm
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »

all my friends forget george... when i talk about the beatles people 30+ say "yeah, john, paul, ringo and.... and.... and... harri... harrisomething..." people 20+ know john paul and ringo... "yeah, i know there was another one... but i can not remember his name..." and people who are even younger hardly know more than john and/or paul. i don't know why but he's really always the one the people can not remember... poor georgie, he's my favourite
george george whoops george whoops george george george

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 01:28:53 AM »

What planet are these people from, komakino?
I can stay till it's time to go

komakino

• Getting Better
  • fly me to the moon
    • last.fm
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »

the planet is called austria.... one of ~ 20 people i've asked knew his full name... and that was my mother.
george george whoops george whoops george george george

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 02:06:39 PM »

Quote from: 418
the planet is called austria.... one of ~ 20 people i've asked knew his full name... and that was my mother.

LOL! The planet can be called Austria but ... is everywhere the same!!! ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 08:29:11 PM »

Quote from: 218
He was cremated.

And I believe his ashes were scattered over the river Ganges.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »

And you can do worse than that: I read a few days ago that the urn with the ashes of Sid Vicious was knocked over at Heathrow Airport's arrival lounge by his mom...

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 06:16:10 AM »

I say he Has been forgotten, sadly enough. Underrated as a Musician, also.   :(

Winter

• One And One Is Two
  • Her Majesty The Queen
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »

yeah i agree with Becky
it should be tribute for Georgie every year ....
But media is so evil machine - they only want to remember about killings and attacks ...
Maybe that's why they write only about Johnny when it's anniversary of his death ...
That's really sad
But i think that of georgie see us, he is much more happy that WE as FANS remember and still LOVE HI so much, that if media remember and writte about him ...

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »

Quote from: 664
he is much more happy that WE as FANS remember and still LOVE HI so muchquote]

he did after all love his apple scruffs  ;D

<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »

It sickens me when an artist dies, then all of a sudden all there albums
are Re-issued or something.
Before George died, i was really searching hard for george's cd's but had no success.
Then after he died, all his albums available on cd appered on record store
shelves. He was a ghastly underated musician & guitarest!!!!
I think he just got better & better as a songwriter throughout his whole
carear. The trouble was his albums were never promoted enough & that's
why some never charted, & always overshadowed by Lennon & McCartney's
career's.
They were all very strong & amazing songwriter's (macca still is), but George to me
shone out different than the other 2. I will never forget George, (how can i!!)
Out of the 3, George's music particully helped me through an awful time in my life.
I know George's music is & will always be there for me!! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 08:54:02 AM »

The truth (imo) is that George doesn't get the same attention because his solo career was a huge dissapointment. His first album was great, but that contained all the songs he'd written over the last decade. He got done for plagarism for it's one big hit. From then on each album declined in quality and the general public lost interest. So it seems did he. At the best some albums were ok, but most were found wanting. Apart from The Cloud Nine thing he never cracked the top ten after '73. His one tour is one of the most disastrous ever by a major act - and the critiscm wasn't just at his laryngitis affected voice.
Hats off to him for Bangladesh (though not a penny went to the needy) and The Travelling Wilbury's were pleasant. And yes he played a mean slide guitar. But at the end of the day, as a solo artist he didn't come up with the goods and just doesn't command (rightly imo) the respect due to John and Paul. Such things must be earned.
just for the record I don't hold John's solo career in that hihger a regard either. What would be the public's reaction to him if he'd never written Imagine?
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »

One thing that I've always heard/read is that George composed most of the All Things Must Pass album (2/3 of it or even more) since the White Album sessions and through 1969 ... he even said once (Anthology?) that he had not much stuff by mid 60s ... and some of the outtakes and songs of that period (You, Try Some Buy Some) were released some years later ... but some unreleased songs (I Live For You, Dera Dhun) were quite good too ... so I consider those two years (1968-1969) as the most prolific of George with The Guys ... and surely his best years musicalley  :) ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 85 queries.