Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cliff attacks the Beatles.....the swine!  (Read 4838 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Cliff attacks the Beatles.....the swine!
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:57 AM »

Quote from: 483
The solo in 'I Should Have Known Better' has always made me cringe a bit.

Oh dear, that's the song I meant in my post just before yours, BM, not "Not a Second Time".

That last note always seemed a bit jarring, I read somewhere it was actually a 6th added, never went back to figure it out. But even if it was ... why?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 04:04:14 AM »

Alexis, I think George was probably in his "added 6th" phase. You and poor Paul are stuck! The note never bothered me; I just took it as an artistic flourish, but it is definitely jarring.

About the "I'll Follow the Sun" solo, it's hard to think of what you might put in such a gentle, low-key song for 6 seconds. If these same notes were played on a flute, it would certainly match the mood. I think George was going for a dreamy little fill that would not take you out of the song.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »

Quote from: 568
That last note always seemed a bit jarring, I read somewhere it was actually a 6th added, never went back to figure it out. But even if it was ... why?

I'm not a musician, so forgive me if I use non technical terms, but I think I'm right in saying that some notes and chords sound out of tune simply because they are not commonly used? Chords like the one in 'I Should Have Known Better' are not accepted as 'standard' chords. So someone like Sir Cliff, who's just a strummer, as far as I know, and pretty middle of the road, would consider them out of tune. Does that make sense to anyone?

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »

Someone on the Dutch Beatlesforum explained that in the early years, the Beatles guitars were tuned at 435 Hertz instead of the usual 440. That means that if you (having your guitar tuned at 440) try to play along, it always sounds as if The Beatles are slightly out of tune. They are not however.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »

Do you know of a reason that they would have done that, instead of just using a standard tuning? After all, they weren't really very experienced musicians at the time.

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »

I don't even know if it's true!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »

If it's true, they might have adjusted the tuning to better suit their voices without having to change the key or to use the standard position without having to capo up. I often tune my guitar "wrong" for that reason.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 49 queries.