Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sales discussion  (Read 1244 times)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Sales discussion
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

Hi everybody.  :)
I'm looking for sources about Paul McCartney record sales, but it's really hard to find that info. I mean, I would like to know how many copies sold every album of his. I know Band on the Run is his best-selling studio album, but I have no idea how much! I mean, 5, 6 million copies... or 12, 13 millions? It's hard for me to say.
Does anybody knows a good source about it?

Thank you guys.  ;)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Sales discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:16:53 AM »

try wikipedia  :)

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »

Quote from: 682
try wikipedia  :)

Are you kidding me?  ;D That was the first site I visited for it. And believe it or not, I was the one who extended Paul's discography in Wikipedia. This is what I made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Paul_McCartney_discography&oldid=137796176

But I can't find worldwide sales info anywhere.  ::)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »

We've had this discussion somewhere else on here before. There is a site for US sales. I'll see if I can dig it out. Marie might remember, as I think it was her thread.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »

I am so busted!  ;D I don't remember!  >:( Where is a smiley that indicates disappointment? Here's one:  :-/

Quote from: 713
But I can't find worldwide sales info anywhere.  ::)

It is terribly frustrating to try to find record sales. I keep Googling until I find something promising, and then try to put together a picture. I gave up researching solo record sales because the numbers were so incomplete. Here are a few things I found:

The records I found of George sales were just snapshots reported at a period in time. For example, I found ATMP marked at 6 million sales in Rolling Stone magazine back in 2003. There will be more sales now that his catalog is digitally available.

I found a kind of sales summary here:

From http://popdirt.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=36381

The Beatles
They've amassed over 1.1 billion in album sales, they have 20 #1 singles, they'd have more if the weren't competing with themselves for the top spot. They've won 6 grammies, spent a total 132 weeks at #1 on the charts. They hold the record for fastest selling single, "I want to hold your hand" which sold 250,000, and 1 million in 2 weeks, and fastest selling single, 13 million in 4 weeks. They are #1 on the Rolling Stones top 500 songs of all time, they are also at #3, #5, and #10. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.

James Paul McCartney 63
Has 13 grammies, was Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999, has sold over 100 million albums, He's a billionaire, he was knighted in 97', has the most covered song in history, Yesterday (3000 versions), which is also the world's most popular song having 6,000,000 airplays in the U.S. alone, and has a PHD in music (honorary).

George Harrison, died at 58 in 01'
2004 Hall of Famer, has 11 grammies, 19 albums (his last went 6 times platinum) 4 #1's, 3 top ten hits, 4 top 20, and 5 top 40 hits. After his death stores sold out of his music.

John Winston Lennon, died at 40 in 80'
Has 7 grammies, including a lifetime achievement. Has 4 # 1's, 9 top tens, 4 top 20, 6 top 40 hit singles. First solo album was in 68', in which he and Yoko Ono posed fully nude on the Cover.

The accounting above doesn't match the RIAA list in Wiki (US sales only). It shows lots of Beatles sales but not one Beatle as a solo artist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_certification

Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 also went double platinum, and isn't on the Wiki RIAA list. So where can we find a complete list? *pulls hair*

Another indirect source of interest is Forbes' "Top-Earning Dead Celebrities" list. They've been publishing "The Lucky 13" since 2001. You can find 2007 here:

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/10/29/dead-celebrity-earning-biz-media-deadcelebs07_cz_lg_1029celeb_land.html

John and George both have been in the Lucky 13 since 2002 (the first year after George's death). This year they are holding places #2 and #4, due to the settling of the Apple trademark dispute. Elvis is the continuing King, and Charles Schulz (Peanuts cartoon) is always up there (#s 1 and 3 this year). But I think it's interesting that our departed Beatle friends earned more this last year than all but a handful of living stars. So there must be strong sustained interest in their music. Most of their income comes from royalties, doesn't it?

(And I can't find Paul on the Forbes site, either. He must be making a lot of bucks; why isn't he on any of their lists?)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:03:47 PM »

Once I read Paul McCartney is one of the 5 best-selling artists of all time. But that of course is fake.

This maybe helps a little.
But it's a mess... http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30159

Page created in 0.86 seconds with 49 queries.