Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What if The Beatles never did drugs?  (Read 2368 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
What if The Beatles never did drugs?
« on: November 25, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »

Do you think they would have been as successful, more successful, or less successful? I know that certain songs such as Tomorrow Never Knows and She Said She Said could never have been written without the influence of LSD, marijuana, etc... but I also think that drugs may have altered their way of thinking and in some way contributed to the break-up of the band.
Your opinions?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mr. Kite

• A Beginning
  • What would the The Beatles be without Ringo?
Re: What if The Beatles never did drugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 04:34:37 AM »

Drugs may be part of the cause of the breakup but The Beatles where already successful before they started drugs really well except for Hamburg.  But I don't think that things would change really as they didn't do the hard stuff like LSD in the studio so I don't really think it affexts their music.  Who knows that John wouldn't have written these songs without drugs but we'll never know.

Mr. Kite
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 05:05:13 AM »

They would have been less successful as they would have continued writing and playing boy band songs like the earlier stuff.

sange

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:27:07 AM »

Considering that other bands of the time were also experimenting with drugs, I think the Beatles may have been left behind had they stayed straight.  That was where the music was going.  Their perceptions were altered and I think reflected in their music.

(Although, if Brian Wilson had've taken slightly less, then the Beach Boys might have actually released Smile in 1967, and who knows how that would have affected music!)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 01:01:26 AM »

I think the "evolution" of more complex music would still have taken place due to George Martin's influence in the studio and what the Beatles were listening to around them at the time! You don't have to do drugs to write about them! That said there were alot of interesting songs that were a result of drug taking. It's a what if that can only be debated and never solved.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 05:54:24 AM »

That would be impossible in the 60s, the Hippie Era....but if they did'nt, then alot of greats songs will be vanished forever!

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

&quot;LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney&quot;
 &nb

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 52 queries.