Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A 2012 Beatles Reunion - Personnel?  (Read 10190 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: A 2012 Beatles Reunion - Personnel?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »

Indeed the time will come in the next couple of years when he's going to have to change the key and arrangement (like Tom Jones) and do something different,

Tom Jones has not changed keys and arrangements...

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual (AVO SESSION 2009)
I can stay till it's time to go

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »

TOM JONES - Delilah (1968)

Tom Jones - Delilah (The Queen's Diamond Jubilee BBC Concert 2012)

I'm not too musically enclined but do my ears decieve me?

Still, he's a better singer than Paul is now and than Elton ever was. I guess his diet has been a bit less of the old stoned behaviour.

I'd sooner listen to the mangler though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:45:36 AM by Yeshelloitsmehereagain »

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Maybe this is getting a bit technical, but it also has to do with a different singing technique. The way Tom Jones is singing, is coming much more from the belly. That's also why he has such a deep and bassy sound. The way Paul McCartney is singing, is more located in the throat. Listen to a song like Helter Skelter, Tom Jones would never sing it and not in such a way. When Paul is singing with the technique of Tom, it sounds somewhat like Lady Madonna.
The 'belly' technique is of course much better to keep the voice belts in a better shape through the years. I guess that is one reason why Tom Jones is still able to sing more or less like he used to in the early days. In a way, it is a miracle that Paul's voice has lasted so long.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

Maybe this is getting a bit technical, but it also has to do with a different singing technique. The way Tom Jones is singing, is coming much more from the belly. That's also why he has such a deep and bassy sound. The way Paul McCartney is singing, is more located in the throat. Listen to a song like Helter Skelter, Tom Jones would never sing it and not in such a way. When Paul is singing with the technique of Tom, it sounds somewhat like Lady Madonna.
The 'belly' technique is of course much better to keep the voice belts in a better shape through the years. I guess that is one reason why Tom Jones is still able to sing more or less like he used to in the early days. In a way, it is a miracle that Paul's voice has lasted so long.

Good post, Bobber. Yes, TJ sings from his diaphragm, but could go to his "head voice" if he covered Little Richard or, as in "She's A Lady" (near the end), when he sings "Talking about". Diaphragm singing has to be learned and I suspect he, like Elvis (post-Army), was taught that technique. It's been rumored that Paul has taken voice lessons to strengthen his vocal cords, but even his "Lady Madonna" voice is barely belly singing.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »

Unfortunately, the one thing we can't stop is age and its effects.  Vocals cords will eventually atrophy and be unable to fully close producing a rough voice and loss of upper range.  At some point it becomes impossible to compensate.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »

if it were a true Beatles event there would be great disagreement and fighting regarding sidekicks.  Paul likely would want it "pure" (just the boys) plus some support but nobody famous.  If George and John argue for Clapton et al to be included wouldn't Paul say Linda (as long as we are bring people back from the dead) would be on stage?  Then the fun would begin!

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual

Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual (AVO SESSION 2009)

Great post HG

Not sure about the other one.  Didn't need to see that while I was eating lunch.  Looked like one of those anti-smoking ads.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:20:07 PM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »
The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 02:54:38 AM »

Thanks, BeatlesAtTheirBest.  The top two were normal cords in a mature adult.  The bottom two were were of an elderly person.

I won't post a picture of advanced carcinoma.  Yes, you can find those in anti-smoking ads.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »

I don't know. I've seen several of the biggies from the 50's over the past 10 years: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and the Everly Brothers. Can't say they've lost anything vocally. Mentally, yes. Physically, yes. But not vocally.

SIDENOTE: During his performance, Little Richard cleared his throat at one point, saying: "I must have gotten something caught in my throat. That's never happened before." My wife and I were the only ones who got the joke.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »

I saw Paul around 2002 in Denver, and was blown away.  He sounded great, and powerful.  Fast forward to a few years ago in Tulsa his
voice had lost a lot.   Still enjoyed the show, but his voice was not as strong as it used to be. 

I dont think it's negative to admit that.  I still want him to perform, and would still love to see him again.
He's an old man now, its ok for his voice to sound weaker.  It's just the truth.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:55 AM »

Not only that, Paul looks really old. He has not aged well. Im not sure if it's his diet or genetics, but there are plenty of others his age that look younger than him. Even Ringo who's older looks better. I feel bad every time I see him, hoping maybe he'll eat a burger or something :) But he's still sharp as a tack.

It's hard to listen to that Valentine song. His voice sounds very old. Not the way I want to think about Paul even though it's inevitable
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
Paul
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:59 AM »

Personally, I think that Paul aged welll in comparison with other rock-stars. However, I don't like his haircut, those long hair doesn't help to look him younger. But Paul still looks quite fit and full of energy for his age, but it's true that his voice got weaker. Ringo looks fine too for his age.

Snoopy
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 66 queries.