Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John Lennon Acoustic CD  (Read 3017 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
John Lennon Acoustic CD
« on: November 08, 2004, 01:03:55 PM »

I bought this album at the weekend and must admit I was very disappointed. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but certainly not these home demos. Perhaps I should've read the reviews first! :-(

I was under the misapprehension that these were studio recordings! Oh well, you live and learn! :)

Runforyourlife

Re: John Lennon Acoustic CD
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:44:57 PM »

But The End, if you bought the "Acoustic" cd expecting studio versions of the songs, were you thinking they would be the same versions as the album, or studio versions that were somehow done acoustically?

I'm confused...

I got the CD and I think its a very good album. I also think if you have his bootlegs or his Anthology, which I do have, its inessential. But I am a completist and I don't frivolously spend my money all the time...plus the sound quality is excellent and I think there was one or two tracks that were new to me here. So it was fine for me. I'm listening to it now. :)

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 09:28:59 PM »

Some nice looks into his work process but I didnt enjoy it that musch.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:59:18 PM »

[quote by=Runforyourlife link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1099919035,s=2 date=1099932297] But The End, if you bought the "Acoustic" cd expecting studio versions of the songs, were you thinking they would be the same versions as the album, or studio versions that were somehow done acoustically?

I'm confused...

[/quote]

Basically, I have a lot of this already and it's not made clear on the sleeve notes what versions are included in this set. Of course the tracks are interesting to listen to - but only once (for me, anyway).

I don't know why, but I thought these would be stripped back studio tracks, i.e. with drums and electric guitars mixed out leaving just the vocal and acoustic guitar. Just my imagination I guess! :)

PS This is just my opinion! If you all happen to love the album, then great :)

Runforyourlife

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 02:54:17 AM »

Cool. Thanks for clarification. I don't really love the album per se, because its too short, I've heard almost all of it before, and its sort of one-sided in song-pickings, and of course its more of a Yoko project, to me, than anything.

But I wouldn't totally unrecommend it, because many of these songs are just so beautiful, like Watching the Wheels, Love, Real Love, Look at Me, Dear Yoko, My Mummy's Dead. So, its more for a person who hasn't got his Anthology (brilliant) or his bootlegs (which are also f*cking amazing), which can be both expensive and not necessarily easy to find. :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:28:19 PM »

Although Lennon's solo work appeals to many, I just cant get me head round it.
I mean, thier is some great stuff, but the production of many are just bogged down by the fairy-tale sound.

Beautiful Boy is a great song, but totaly ruined I think by the "Darling, darling, darling
Darling sean"..
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Runforyourlife

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 06:59:54 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.

I love his solo music. I just adore it. I think his lyrics and the passion he evokes in his singing is simply amazing. I've always loved it, though. It was really my introduction to the Beatles, his solo music, because that was the stuff my parents played more when I was younger.

I can't really understand when people just totally trash his solo career. It upsets me and I take it personally, because I am very personally and emotionally attached to so many of those songs. You weren't trashing it, of course, but I see people who do and it just boggles me. Like, its one thing to not like it or not get it, but to just say it was nothing is very annoying. :)

Anyway, I love "Beautiful Boy" the way it is. I think its gorgeous. I love the music and the counter-melodies, and I think even his sweet-like singing is SO perfect for it. And I like the ending! But then, of course, I'm a Sean fan. ;)

mjcatl2

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 07:32:02 PM »

I think the disc is ok. I with there were liner notes with some context of the recordings, even if vague.  Overall it is enjoyable and somewhat interesting to someone who doesn't have any of these versions etc.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 07:36:41 PM »

I already have all those acoustic songs from bootlegs but I'm sure the quality in this new cd is way better so I might buy it