Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kids React To The Beatles  (Read 13818 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Kids React To The Beatles
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:49:41 AM »

Here's what young kids today think about The Beatles...

KIDS REACT TO THE BEATLES
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
Re: Kids React To The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:00:14 AM »

And who is this One Direction that The Beatles remind them of?

One Direction - One Thing

Can't Buy Me Love

Not a bit like Cagney.   ;)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »

And who is this One Direction that The Beatles remind them of?
Here we call them No Direction...

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

Here we call them No Direction...

I can give kids a pass for inappropriate comparisons. On the other hand the number of thinking, normally sensible adults who tried to rationalise Justin Bieber's banalities by comparing them to songs like She Loves You rendered my mind quite boggled.

Schoolgirl

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »

Hi everybody.
I'm a student on a private school on the European mainland. Please forgive me my poor English. My music teacher has asked me to write a paper on the differences and similarities between The Beatles and One Direction. That's how I came here. I can think of some things of course, but maybe you can help me, especially by pointing out the similarities. Thank you all!
Kristen

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »

Hi, Schoolgirl. As a longtime Beatles fan and the mother of a daughter who has been a Directioner for over two years, I can't think of any similarities between the bands other than that they were at one point both were considered "boy bands." I can, however, think of several differences. The Beatles wrote their own songs; One Direction does not. The Beatles each played an instrument; One Direction members do not. (I know Niall Horan occasionally plays some guitar, but it's so minimal that in my opinion it doesn't really count.) The Beatles were friends who worked their way up through club performances for years; the members of One Direction did not know one another until they were put together as a band by Simon Cowell. Also, each member of One Direction sings just one line or two of each song, whereas -- other than backing vocals and harmonies -- one or two Beatles sings an entire song (i.e., they don't take turns singing lines).

Just thought of one more similarity: Most fans of both groups seem to have one favorite member, at least, in the Beatles' early days that was the case, from what I've read.

Good luck with your project!  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:28:16 PM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »

Hi Kristen

That's an interesting project.  I think because of the differences it will show up more than what are generally superficial similarities. But that's useful too.

On similarities I'd say that One Direction does seem to have that charismatic element to them that makes people want to like them. This was a very big part of the Beatles appeal that is now sometimes overlooked. I don't know a lot about One Direction but when they came  to Australia they did come across as nice guys who convey their enjoyment with what they do. 

Normandie has pointed out a lot of the key differences. One area that is perhaps worth exploring is the difference in musical upbringing that pop musicians of the Beatles era experienced compared to the modern era.

When the Beatles were growing up there wasn't the proliferation of teachers, resources and courses to train aspiring popular musicians. They were mostly if not entirely self taught, usually on third rate instruments. There's a cute story in the Anthology series of Paul McCartney and friends getting on a bus across town to see someone who could show them a B7 guitar chord.

Again, not knowing the One Direction chaps specifically, but I'd be very surprised if they all hadn't had, from fairly young ages, voice training, been taught instruments and/or been on specific courses to teach them popular music. If they're like my daughter and were learning instruments they'd have access to good quality instruments, teachers of multiple styles and online resources to find chord charts and tablatures for songs they wanted to play. Unlike in the Beatles day, being a pop musician is almost seen as a potential career for which you train; like any other profession. Even the fact you're doing a school project on this is an indication of the difference in the eras.

That's my two cents worth. Good luck with it and enjoy.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Kristen.

I know very little about One Direction.  When I watched their One Thing music video, the sequences in the beginning shot in the field reminded me of the field sequence in The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night so I posted that clip.  Whoever directed the One Direction video no doubt saw A Hard Day's Night.  And this scene from the Rutles' 1964 film A Hard Day's Rut...

The Rutles - I Must Be In Love

...but that's beyond the scope of your paper.

Later on in the One Direction video, they board a double-decker bus.  That reminded me of...

The Beatles - A Day In The Life

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up, I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhh Ahhhhhh Ahhhhhhh...

(It was Paul)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:02:45 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »

Yes, welcome to the forum, Kristen; I was rushing earlier and did not realize you had included your name.

When I watched their One Thing music video, the sequences in the beginning shot in the field reminded me of the field sequence in The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night so I posted that clip.  Whoever directed the One Direction video no doubt saw A Hard Day's Night. 

I just pulled up One Thing on YouTube; it is indeed reminiscent of AHDN. I just texted that to my daughter, and now she's all up in arms, LOL. I do know that One Direction has fended off claims of borrowing riffs from The Clash, The Who, and Queen, among others.

Personally, I think Harry Styles may have some acting talent (and Zayn as a woman looks disturbingly convincing); check out the first 2 min of Best Song Ever:

One Direction - Best Song Ever

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »

Here's what young kids today think about The Beatles...
KIDS REACT TO THE BEATLES

I loved these kids! (That little girl with the pigtails reminds me of myself at that age. LOL) They had some great insights and were very honest. From seeing this I have no doubt that The Beatles won't be forgotten any time soon. As for One Direction, I see their pictures and stories about them all the time when I process the kid's magazines at work but that's the extent of my exposure to them. They have noticeable hair styles so that's a definite similarity to The Beatles!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

Yes, welcome to the forum, Kristen; I was rushing earlier and did not realize you had included your name.

I just pulled up One Thing on YouTube; it is indeed reminiscent of AHDN. I just texted that to my daughter, and now she's all up in arms, LOL. I do know that One Direction has fended off claims of borrowing riffs from The Clash, The Who, and Queen, among others.

Personally, I think Harry Styles may have some acting talent (and Zayn as a woman looks disturbingly convincing); check out the first 2 min of Best Song Ever:

One Direction - Best Song Ever

Oh yeah. That clip has definite Hard Days Night influences. Quite a catchy tune. I can see their appeal.

Schoolgirl

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

Wow, thank you all very much! I didn't expect some many people would like to help me! This is very helpful so far! If there are any other suggestions, I would love to read them! Thanks again!

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »

Wow, thank you all very much! I didn't expect some many people would like to help me! This is very helpful so far! If there are any other suggestions, I would love to read them! Thanks again!

I'm glad you've joined us Kristen. It's so nice that the topic of One Direction came up just when you need it to. Good luck with your paper!

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
Kids React To The Beatles
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »

The only comparison I can make between one direction, and the Beatles, is that both of them had lots of female fans. They aren't musically anywhere close.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Schoolgirl

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

My teacher (and me) were very happy with the result of the paper. Thank you all so much for your input and support!

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »

My teacher (and me) were very happy with the result of the paper. Thank you all so much for your input and support!

I'm glad to hear this.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »

Indeed; good news!  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »

^

Savoy Truffle.  ;)

Hope we got a footnote.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:37:10 AM »

ha2ha  Took me a minute to get that. You're quick, Barry!

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »

It made me smile yesterday when the receptionist at the chiropractor's office described her 11 year old daughter's obsession with The Beatles. We started talking about music and the conversation wound up there. It's good to think that they will go on. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 82 queries.