Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My old Höfner bass string  (Read 2950 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
My old Höfner bass string
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »

Today I'm bringing a small -but very cherished- piece of my own history as Höfner bass player.

As you know, these photos are dated Summer 1978:

But before getting the bass I'm playing at those photos (=something which happened around February that year), I had got another 'piece of Höfner bass' in 1977:

A 4th Höfner bass string, that I purchased at a local music shop in La Coruña (=my native city), that I was intending to put into my old Spanish guitar (=something which never worked out) and that I still keep. This is my old Höfner 4th bass string together with my old Spanish guitar, i.e., the very one the string was intended for:

The back of that Höfner packet:

'All My Loving' chords (=some of them wrong), written there ca February 1978.

I remember that at beginning 1978, when I started to play my Höfner T-21 bass (=.i.e., the Spanish 500/1 seen at those photos), I learnt 'All My Loving' bassline taking it out of the recording (=BTW: 'All My Loving' is the song we are actually singing/playing at those photos). I still can play it the same way I did it in 1978, and instead of fingering the 1st note of the bassline (=F#) at 2nd string 4th fret (=like Paul did), I started the line at 3rd string 9th fret. From that point onwards I built the whole bassline... Oh my God!! It was 32 years ago!!  ;)

I would like to know your comments...

Best!! ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:14:50 AM by Xose »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: My old Höfner bass string
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

That is a wonderful piece of nostalgia Xose. Your description on starting All my Loving from that position made me chuckle. Like you...I start using my ear and put my finger to the nearest place and work out the rest. lol

I was lucky I started in the right place on this one but I still tend to play all around the neck rather than the most efficient way sometimes.

Love the chords written on the back...proper old school days.

Thanks for sharing.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

JimDep

• One And One Is Two
Re: My old Höfner bass string
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »

Coming from a former Hofner bass player, I appreciate what you've displayed.

Shameless self disclosure:

I had a left handed 65 Hofner bass I bought used in the California Bay Area back in the mid 1970's. This came with the original cord, case and strap for $250 but it pristine condition. I was in Beatle Heaven.  I joined a hard rock band a year or so later, and they didn't want me using the Hofner because it was too identified with The Beatles.  That was the only bass I had, so under their pressure I traded it in, with cash for a left handed Fender P bass.

I am still kicking myself and that was the last time I let others dictate my equipment to me. It still hurts.

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 40 queries.