Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Great examples of sequencing  (Read 1680 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Great examples of sequencing
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »

...between two tracks, within an album.

- The death-country mysteriousness of 'Long Black Veil' followed by Garth Hudson's Bach-on-cocaine introduction to 'Chest Fever' by The Band from the Music From Big Pink album. My favourite, a true hair-raising moment.

- The pulsating beat of 'I'm Waiting For My Man' breaking the celesta-induced trance of the dreamy 'Sunday Morning' within Velvet Underground & Nico.

- "I got blisters on my fingers!!" into 'Long Long Long'... goes without saying.

- 'Revolution 9' into 'Good Night'...ditto.

- '21st Century Schizoid Man' into 'I Talk To The Wind' - King Crimson's idea of a Hell-Heaven transition.

- the whole of The Dark Side of The Moon, Animals, The Wall and Final Cut because f*** it, there is no way I can pick only one moment. Pink Floyd were in their own league when it comes to these things.

- Neil Young's 'Running Dry' into 'Cowgirl In The Sand'. A shame that the second time he tried this (Needle and The Damage Done - Words), the effect was nowhere near as powerful.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Great examples of sequencing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »

My favourite is 'Wintertime Love' following 'Summer's Almost Gone' on 'Waiting For The Sun' by The Doors.
Also, 'Get to You' after 'Wasn't Born To Follow' on 'Notorious Byrd Brothers'.
And, obviously (!), 'Abbey Road'.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »

I've always liked the first side of blood on the tracks for the excellent sequencing. Going from Tangled Up in Blue to Simple Twist of Fate seems to work musically and lyrically. Separately You're a Big a girl Now to Idiot Wind also flows well

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:20:28 AM »

"Drive My Car" (a boy that starts playing with a girl, and at the end the boy becomes the toy of the girl) followed by "Norwegian Wood" (a girl that starts playing with a boy, and at the end the boy is still the toy of the girl).
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:02:56 AM »

My favorites will always be any two consecutive tracks in the Abbey Road Medley.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »

My favorites will always be any two consecutive tracks in the Abbey Road Medley.

Agreed! The way those songs mesh is brilliant. I particularly like the segue from Mean Mr. Mustard into Polythene Pam.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

Agreed! The way those songs mesh is brilliant. I particularly like the segue from Mean Mr. Mustard into Polythene Pam.

Right, Kathy.  I think the medley deserves a better and more descriptive name like "The Abbey Road Suite."

The Beatles - Abbey Road Medley (2009 Stereo Remaster)
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »

I think the medley deserves a better and more descriptive name like "The Abbey Road Suite."

That's how I've always thought of it. It's perfection! It always bugs me when they play just a part of it on Pandora. It's the only time I skip a Beatles number. I wish I could remember the term Dennis Mitchell used for it on "Breakfast with the Beatles" It's supposedly the way The Beatles referred to it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »

Right, Kathy.  I think the medley deserves a better and more descriptive name like "The Abbey Road Suite."

I agree; suite is a much better term.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »

Hmmm....This isn't exactly sequencing, but I love the fade-outs on the songs on The Who's Quadrophenia. I haven't listened to the whole album straight through in a long time, but was just listening to "Cut My Hair" and remembered all the other neat segues on the lineup.

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 56 queries.