Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles songs being free  (Read 2433 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Beatles songs being free
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:48:26 PM »

Anyone can listen to all the Beatles songs for free now.  Think of the massive fortune of money that is lost.  I mean millions if not billions of dollars in lost revenue.  Unbelievable! 
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles songs being free
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:48:46 PM »

Funny how there's no comments on my reflection.  I think this is incredible, the fact that the Beatles recording output is essentially worthless because no one has to pay for their music any more.  Doesn't this bother anyone?  Seriously, no??  Artists now have to do concerts or get acting gigs in movies or be sponsored for some commercial product (that used to be called "selling out").  This is just plain wrong.  Things are not meant to be free in the universe.  There is a cost for everything.  Nothing else in the world is given away for free.  Why is this the exception?

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 05:11:05 PM »

Well, regarding the Beatles catalog, those guys and their respective estates (John & George) have earned millions over the years and financially should be set for life - and beyond...

Also, the Beatles still have millions of fans around the world who will still purchase their products - including various incarnations of their music.

Now, having said that, I do agree that artists should be well-compensated financially for their works and probably 99% of them do not have the massive fan base of the Beatles - or all of the various licensed products available to earn them income. That 99% of musicians are those I have the most concern over because they may struggle to survive financially. Regarding the Beatles, they made the choice to allow their music to be accessed for free and I suspect they considered the financial ramifications of making such a decision.

Oh well, that's just my opinion on the topic.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »

Fab4Fan:  Thanks.  I really appreciate your comment and especially the fact that you are sympathetic toward modern musicians who must struggle to survive.  You can have songs that people absolutely love and that are incredibly popular and yet you cannot reap the huge financial rewards that the old-timers did.  They were born in the right era when you could be rich for life off of one hit-single (a 45 rpm record).  There are modern young artists whom I really like and whom I think are gifted.  Yet, it is obvious that they can't live off of their musical income.  They have to be creative and as ingenious as possible to figure out ways to generate revenue.  One of the primary means is concerts.  However, concert money must be divided among many participants who make those concerts happen.  Acts must incorporate attention-getting devices at their concerts such as choreography, lighting displays, dancers, etc.  Think about it.  The Beatles didn't dance and they had no pyrotechnics.  It was just them singing on stage.  I know nothing can be done.  There is no way to prevent music from being copied - that's fundamentally why it's all free listening now.  I guess that if sellers of grocery products had no way to secure their wares, that people would simply come in and take everything they wanted for nothing - and with no guilt trips whatsoever.  Why am I upset about this?  I don't know but I've purchased everything by the Beatles including most of their solo recordings (even Ringo's).  In fact, I purchased the Beatles catalog twice, first with old-school vinyl records and then when the CD transplants came out.  So, I feel like I have a real stake in the Beatles because I own those recordings.  If you're listening for free, you don't own anything.  So how does that feel?  Pretty good, I suppose.  Thanks again, Fab!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:07:06 PM by Loco Mo »

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »

These days most artists use their CD's and musical output to build up a fan base. They don't earn a lot on selling, or it has to be millions of copies. The money is in giving concerts: that is the lucrative part. Selling a cd is nothing, a concert tour is where the money is.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »

The Beatles,,,,, i've given them so much money over the years that I could care less if people can listen to them for free or not.  Also Paul and Ringo are older than dirt and couldnt spend the money they have if they had too at this point.

As for the music industry, its up to the artists to change how things are done, not us.   

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:05:42 PM »

Anyone can listen to all the Beatles songs for free now.

Where?????
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:02:59 AM »

Where?????
Spotify
I heart radio

There are Beatle channels
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »

Spotify and Pandora can be listened to for free. As longs as you don't mind the ads.

Both these platforms have to pay royalities to the Beatles for playing their songs. So even on these "free" platforms the Beatles aren't missing out completely on money. However I understand the rate is very small. Spotify advise it's between $0.006 and $0.008 per play. In other words for 1,000,000 plays the artist would receive $6,000 to $8,000.

The most played Beatle song on Spotify is Here Comes the Sun with over 52 million plays. So George's estate would have got $300,000 to $400,000 to date from that song alone.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:09:20 AM by Moogmodule »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:43 AM »

Where?????

Rhapsody (now Napster again) also has Beatles songs for free. Well, you have to pay a monthly fee for the entire service.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 01:17:06 AM »

Spotify and Pandora can be listened to for free. As longs as you don't mind the ads.

Both these platforms have to pay royalities to the Beatles for playing their songs. So even on these "free" platforms the Beatles aren't missing out completely on money. However I understand the rate is very small. Spotify advise it's between $0.006 and $0.008 per play. In other words for 1,000,000 plays the artist would receive $6,000 to $8,000.

The most played Beatle song on Spotify is Here Comes the Sun with over 52 million plays. So George's estate would have got $300,000 to $400,000 to date from that song alone.
Not a bad income for Olivia, especially if she gets the same from I heart radio and napster and the other one

And I read a report recently she cut off George's sisters small allowance  roll:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 02:44:07 AM »

And I read a report recently she cut off George's sisters small allowance 

Sounds really mean.  Could it be the revenue well's running dry?  I mean how much does George's legacy benefit her financially these days?  No new records plus records don't sell anyway.  I don't think a lot of fans bought George's solo stuff.  Seems to me that the bulk of incoming revenue would be from the Beatles recordings - and now they're free.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 04:55:28 AM »

Sounds really mean.  Could it be the revenue well's running dry?  I mean how much does George's legacy benefit her financially these days?  No new records plus records don't sell anyway.  I don't think a lot of fans bought George's solo stuff.  Seems to me that the bulk of incoming revenue would be from the Beatles recordings - and now they're free.

I doubt Olivia would be feeling the pinch too much. George's estate was valued around $100 million I think when he died. And while revenues might not be what they used to be, the Beatle stuff would still bring in more than a little money.

Not sure what's behind ending Louise's allowance. Typical family issues no doubt.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »

Well 300 grand from Spotify ain't bad
Plus similar from other streaming sites and let's not forget cirque de thingy in Vegas
George's estate was 99 million pounds

I wouldn't think she could ever spend all that dosh  ???
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

Hmmm... my guess is the upkeep of Friar Park alone is very expensive not to mention the huge cut taken by the Taxman...
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »

Well 300 grand from Spotify ain't bad
Plus similar from other streaming sites and let's not forget cirque de thingy in Vegas
George's estate was 99 million pounds

I wouldn't think she could ever spend all that dosh  ???

99 million pounds!?  Even less likely she's feeling any pinch. She'd have to have expensive tastes to run through that even with the costs of Friar Park.

We'll know if she's running dry if she starts selling tours of Friar Park or hiring it out for weddings. That's what the English gentry started doing when they couldn't afford the upkeep of their large houses.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »

I found this articlehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3979732/George-Harrison-s-sister-speaks-15th-anniversary-death-revealing-never-told-cancer-hasn-t-spoken-nephew-years-cut-2-000-month-pension-left-estate.html and apparently Louise was cut off a long time ago.  I can't comment on the veracity of the story, but it's a fairly long article and interesting read nonetheless.

Anyway, re: free music, the "free" versions of these apps such as Spotify contain sponsor ads, so royalties are still being paid, as someone else said.  Apple Music requires a subscription, no "free" version there. YouTube also has ads, but I'm not sure how that works as far as music videos go.  Lots of artists/record labels upload their songs directly to YouTube for the purpose of generating revenue and, of course, exposure. There are many third-party "regular" people who have uploaded full albums, but I have no clue about the legality of that.

Sadly, there will probably always be sketchy pirate sites where people steal entire discographies.  Either way, we're leaving the age of hard-copy music.  It's such a different world now.
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »

Wasnt Louise a pain in the ass for years though?  I'm not surprised she was cut off.  Theres a thread about her somewhere i'll try to dig up, but from what I can remember, she came across as BSC pretty much.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

Wasnt Louise a pain in the ass for years though?  I'm not surprised she was cut off.  Theres a thread about her somewhere i'll try to dig up, but from what I can remember, she came across as BSC pretty much.
I don't know much about her to be honest.  The article did say George started giving her an allowance in the 80's "for tax purposes" so...maybe she was cut off once he died for a good reason.
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

Page created in 2.117 seconds with 82 queries.