Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 100 Top Prog albums  (Read 6973 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: 100 Top Prog albums
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »

Yep, the lines are blurred  ha2ha

I actually hate these names and words describing genres, I even hate the term prog rock !  (its all just rock music)

I just thought the years leading up to Punk Rock were very exciting for me (I was 18 in 1969) music was developing and changing, I was in my first band in that period and our heroes were Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Soft Machine, Caravan, bands like that who were being ever more adventurous and technical, Barclay James Harvest even toured with a full orchestra, imagine that !!
They needed it to recreate songs like Mockingbird

So put your headphones on, close your eyes and let the Mockingbird take you away.....

! No longer available

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:42:58 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:02 AM »

An early favourite of mine which surely counts as "prog"?

! No longer available

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 02:37:34 AM »

I actually hate these names and words describing genres, I even hate the term prog rock !  (its all just rock music)

We humans do love to categorise.

Well. Categorising Humans do.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »

The expression that makes me run to hills faster than anything though is 'rock' itself.
As soon as it was reduced to that one word (anyone know the exact time?) was when it got stodgy and bland.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »

An early favourite of mine which surely counts as "prog"?

! No longer available

absolutely Mr M, Im a fan of that

The record that got me mostly into prog was this in 68

! No longer available
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »

Yes have become a joke of a band nowadays, they hired a (frontman/singer) Jon Anderson soundalike/lookalike from a Yes tribute band for their world tour and latest album, Jon was ill at the time apparently, they didnt tell him, just did it.

Prog is still alive but I dont like anything after about 1978, either from new prog bands (like Dream Theatre) or old prog bands (like King Crimson), old farts like me just seem to like the classic stuff, of which there is thousands of albums in existence, prog in the 70's was a massive worldwide thing, bigger than most people think, Im only just hearing stuff from Russia and South America from the 70's

Anyway, speaking of Yes, Ive never heard anyone play keyboards as well as Rick Wakeman although Keith Emerson (ELP) does come close, listen to his piano on this unplugged gig

! No longer available
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 02:28:00 AM »

Yes have become a joke of a band nowadays, they hired a (frontman/singer) Jon Anderson soundalike/lookalike from a Yes tribute band for their world tour and latest album, Jon was ill at the time apparently, they didnt tell him, just did it.

Prog is still alive but I dont like anything after about 1978, either from new prog bands (like Dream Theatre) or old prog bands (like King Crimson), old farts like me just seem to like the classic stuff, of which there is thousands of albums in existence, prog in the 70's was a massive worldwide thing, bigger than most people think, Im only just hearing stuff from Russia and South America from the 70's

Anyway, speaking of Yes, Ive never heard anyone play keyboards as well as Rick Wakeman although Keith Emerson (ELP) does come close, listen to his piano on this unplugged gig

! No longer available

When you have to resort to becoming almost your own tribute band you know you should give it away.  INXS were bad enough trying to keep themselves going after Hutchence died. The Doors similar.

I recall in the 80s the immigration department in Oz actually tried to refuse visas to The Platters basically on trade practices grounds. They had no original members of the group. It got overturned I recall on appeal.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »

Collected a bunch of Rick Wakeman solo stuff way back then. Listened to 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' almost daily at one point. I was a weird kid.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »

Listened to 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' almost daily at one point. I was a weird kid.

:P

Naw. Just well-versed. I remember hearing that album a lot when my brother was still at home. Haven't heard it in years though.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 60 queries.