Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: why is george labeled the quiet one ?  (Read 16966 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
why is george labeled the quiet one ?
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »

i dont know why he is labeled the quiet one in every bit of Beatles footage ive ever saw, he is the most genuine and funniest of the four? He has such a quick wit and always seems like he's the boy from liverpool more so than the other 3 with ringo a close second.

Is this label more about him in general or when he is front of the camera ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: why is george labeled the quiet one ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

We've discussed this before-- remember where, mods? So there's more speculation on this if you can find it. :)

Anyway, from what I can tell, George started out quite chatty (look for 1963 YouTube clips), but gradually clammed up out of sheer boredom of answering the same questions again and again. By the time they'd reached America, the first buzz had worn off and George only spoke up when he cared to. You can still see him animated on occasion, but between Paul's willingness to answer anything, and John's wisecracks, he often didn't bother to say anything, so the American press invented this label to distinguish him from the others.

He wasn't quiet in person. Who said the quote "None of them are particularly quiet." I think it was Linda who reported coming to a Beatles dinner, and it sounded like there were 100 people in the house when there were, like, 6.  I love Michael Palin's remark about George in the Concert for George extras: "He could talk for England."

Larry Kane has a lovely chapter in his book "Ticket to Ride" where he gives his impression of each Beatle. Here's a quote specifically pertaining to George and his quietness:

Quote from: Larry Kane
George was always the most polite Beatle, but it seemed to me during this 1965 tour that George had suddenly blossomed into a more public figure. On the way to Houston, I sat down and recorded a relaxed George Harrison.

KANE: On your first US visit, George, you were known as the quiet Beatle, the somber, thoughtful and pensive one, and suddenly here in 1965 you've kind of, according to most people's way of thinking, opened up. You're talking a lot at the press conferences, a lot of the questions are directed at you. What's the reason for all of that?
HARRISON: Actually, I did talk about the same amount on the last tour. It's just that, you know, first of all, when we first came over here they didn't know us all that well. People, like, hang tags on you. Ringo was the cuddly one or something. Paul was the lovely one, and I was the quiet one, and John was the shouting one. I've been the same all along. I talk when I feel like it. I shut up when I don't feel like talking.

That last line tells you all you need to know about George Harrison: no pretense, no showboating, a strong sense of self and, for an entertainer in the glare of the spotlight, nary an ounce of superficiality. But he definitely was, on the second go-round of America, less shy and more willing to speak out.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 05:07:43 PM »

I always liked this little interview:

On the evening of December 20th 1966, each of the Beatles arrived separately for the group's scheduled recording session. Each was interviewed by ITN-TV just outside of EMI's Abbey Road Studios. The evening's session included John, Paul and George overdubbing the background harmonies for the song 'When I'm Sixty Four.' Ringo also added the large 'bell' percussion to the recording.
(You can read what Paul, John, and Ringo said in contrast to George here: http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/db1966.1220.beatles.html)

Q: "Hi, can I stop you?"
GEORGE: "Well..."
Q: "I just want to ask you-- Do you think that in the New Year you're going to be going your own ways instead of being a group?"
GEORGE: "No. No."
Q: "No?"
GEORGE: (continuing through the doorway) "Definitely not."
Q: "What about another word?"
GEORGE: (from a distance) "There aren't any more words."

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »

lol jolly old ringo, one cheery guy

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »

The media feel that they have to put labels on everyone. George's slightly more restrained approach at interviews - despite often being the funniest - got him labeled 'The Quiet One.' Purely a media invention, as was Posh, Sporty, Baby, Scary, and Ginger an invention by The BBC's Top Of The Pops magazine, and not by the band.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »

yh i kinda understood the whole spice girls thing as it did kinda fit, it was just as you said he was often the wittiest and most pleasant at interviews , not all but some and i felt it was a bit of a mislabeling.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »

What i like about George was that he was a very centerd person ,a screaming Hurricane of fans could rage around him and he just smileld made a joke and got on with the job in hand . Don't think he was quiet just COOL  :)

DaveRam :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »

Quote from: 679
Don't think he was quiet just COOL  :)
Great comment, DaveRam!

Pattie says in her book how George reacted during the drug bust. Here is a quote:

Quote from: Pattie Boyd
I rang George at Apple. "George, it's your worst nightmare. Come home."
"What are you talking about?" he said.
"The police are here. Come home."

He said he would sort something out--he was always very calm. (Notes about the mysterious lump of cash found in George's boot.) Eventually George arrived and found us in the middle of this policeman's tea party. He was still calm but he wasn't happy. The police were obviously excited to meet him. They stood to attention and were almost elbowing each other to get closer to him while Sergeant Pilcher went into his "I am arresting you..." bit.

Not exactly a screaming hurricane of fans, but composed enough for my money! Just love the "It's your worst nightmare" -- "I'll sort something out" contrast.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 10:17:56 PM »

Quote from: 679
What i like about George was that he was a very centerd person ,a screaming Hurricane of fans could rage around him and he just smileld made a joke and got on with the job in hand . Don't think he was quiet just COOL  :)

Nice comment Dave. You're not wrong! :)

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »

Thank You BlueMeanie , i just love watching George on the old Beatles film he's just great one of the good guys and their's not a lot of them around in show biz ?

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »

I've always liked George. He really was the quiet one. You're right Dave Ram about his attitude in all the Beatles early films. I love the fact that he always seems to be really peaceful and really more serious than the other three.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:13 AM »

I think all of them babbled on a lot in interviews! (even Ringo! :P)
I can see the Quiet One with George in the early days but i think he opened
up a lot later on, he was the one who always came out with a joke or something
out of the blue in Press Conference's! ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 03:43:31 PM »

Found this fun little quote on Wiki, which is discussing George's Byrds cover If I Needed Someone:
"If I Needed Someone" was the only Harrison composition played during any of the Beatles' tours; The Quiet Beatle otherwise only sang covers onstage."
The implication seems to be that the lack of Harrison songs played live had more to do with his natural reticence rather than the quality of his songs.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »

Quote from: 185
Found this fun little quote on Wiki, which is discussing George's Byrds cover If I Needed Someone:
"If I Needed Someone" was the only Harrison composition played during any of the Beatles' tours; The Quiet Beatle otherwise only sang covers onstage."
The implication seems to be that the lack of Harrison songs played live had more to do with his natural reticence rather than the quality of his songs.

It does doesn't it. Though in the old Cavern, and Hamburg days George probably sang a quarter of the songs. In fact he sung 4 songs at the Decca audition. Even when they did 25 minute sets he had a song - even if it wasn't his own. I think If I Needed Someone was the first song he'd written that could stand up alongside the Lennon/McCartney songs live.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 01:07:16 PM »

Quote from: 483

I think If I Needed Someone was the first song he'd written that could stand up alongside the Lennon/McCartney songs live.

But still (from Wiki):"The song was heavily influenced by the music of The Byrds. Reportedly, Harrison sent an acetate of the song to Roger McGuinn
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »

Quote from: 185

But still (from Wiki):"The song was heavily influenced by the music of The Byrds. Reportedly, Harrison sent an acetate of the song to Roger McGuinn

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »

It gets worse. Seems Here Comes The Sun is really a McQuinn/Clapton/Harrison composition:
"The song had its genesis with a songwriting collaboration between Harrison and close friend Eric Clapton called "Badge," recorded by Clapton's group Cream, and featuring an arpeggiated guitar riff that is similar to the one that forms the bridge of "Here Comes the Sun."
Harrison capoed his guitar on the 7th fret, resulting the final key of A major. He also used the same technique on his 1965 song "If I Needed Someone," which shares a similar melodic pattern."
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »

George fans on the rack.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »

Take cover!

Isn't the bridge in 'Badge' the bit that he wrote though?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »

Quote from: 483

Isn't the bridge in 'Badge' the bit that he wrote though?

Details schmetails. Lets not get hung up on technicalities here. At best he ripped himself off.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 83 queries.