Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Anyone collect their vinyls?  (Read 59590 times)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
Re: Anyone collect their vinyls?
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »

literally *just* got some more - 45s -->  Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus, The Long and Winding Road/For You Blue

No Beatles LPs, but there was Wing's Greatest Hits, At The Speed of Sound and Goodnight Vienna (not the best Ringo album but whatevs lol)

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »

I've been collecting Beatles (and other 60s bands) vinyl for years. I was born in '67 and got into The Beatles when I was about 9. I used to buy vinyl albums whenever I had saved enough pocket money so I would get stuff like Hollywood Bowl and Love Songs, plus the 1970s re-releases of the UK albums (since I'm in the UK). I got a few second-hand original 60s albums as well.
But I really got into collecting when I bought an entire collection from someone in N.Carolina after seeing an ad on a Beatles site when I first got on the internet in about 1999. I paid quite a few hundred pounds including shipping and it took weeks to arrive by boat, but I'll never forget the excitement of ripping open these big boxes which had come all the way from the States and getting out all these original 60s albums and singles, books, magazines and memorabilia. The collection included rare records like the very first 1961 German issue of My Bonnie on Polydor, with the German intro, and a DJ copy of the first US VeeJay single with the mis-spelled "Beattles".
I now have all the original UK and US albums, all the UK 45s and EPs, most of the US 45s, almost all the original 1960s Italian 45s, plus a host of other albums and singles from all over the world. And lots of solo stuff and hundreds of singles and albums by other artists as well.
I have multiple copies of many Beatles albums and singles, plus I try to get mono AND stereo versions if possible, though I'm still missing a few early UK stereos. I also try to get all the rare variations (like the "loud" mix of Rubber Soul, the various versions of With The Beatles with different label credits etc etc).
I don't buy so much now because eBay has got very expensive for Beatles stuff, and most of the stuff I'd like is not cheap (like the original Let It Be box set). I'd love a set of autographs as well, but I don't see me being able to afford that any time soon!!
Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm not trying to brag about how great my collection is or anything - I'm sure there are many fans with better collections - I'm just trying to get across my continuing love for Beatles vinyl!  :)
Cheers
Pete

Bobber

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »

Sounds like a nice collection there Pete. I used to have the My Bonnie single, but one of the kids broke it in two. "There goes the money to get you to college!", I yelled.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:48 AM »

Sounds like a nice collection there Pete. I used to have the My Bonnie single, but one of the kids broke it in two. "There goes the money to get you to college!", I yelled.

:o
Never had a smashed record but I've got a few Beatles books that the kids have "customised" with coloured pens while I've been out of the room!  ;D

Bobber

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »

That's why I'm keeping my stuff on the topshelf nowadays. ;D

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »

I wonder if all those kids who burned their Beatles records back in '66 in response to John's Jesus comment are kicking themselves these days?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »

I wonder if all those kids who burned their Beatles records back in '66 in response to John's Jesus comment are kicking themselves these days?

They're probably still too self-righteous to admit they did anything so amazingly stupid.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

I'm gonna go to a record swap in a couple of weeks. Problem is, I don't want to swap ANY of my records! I'm assuming they let you buy as well though. No way I'm ever giving up my Beatles records.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

They're probably still too self-righteous to admit they did anything so amazingly stupid.

They bought 'em just to burn 'em.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »

I'm gonna go to a record swap in a couple of weeks. Problem is, I don't want to swap ANY of my records! I'm assuming they let you buy as well though. No way I'm ever giving up my Beatles records.

You can buy records at swap meets, Sondra.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »

Haha, when they get older and realize what they've done, it will be a major guilt trip.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2009, 03:12:24 AM »

I think most of them realized soon after and bought the records again.

I believe that sales went up during this period.

The Beatles actually profited from this outrage, and their popularity is still going, so...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »

You can buy records at swap meets, Sondra.

Now that I think about it, that's probably all it is. A swap meet but with records. Duh! Sometimes my brain shuts down and I  miss the most obvious things, I swear. My friend didn't explain it very well though cuz she was talking about swapping my records and stuff. God, I haven't been to a swap meet in ages.Used to go to them all the time back on L.I.

nowhereman71

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »

I dare say I've got between 300 and 500 Beatles records.  Initially I just bought the UK albums, singles and eps.  The last record I needed to complete the collection was Beatles For Sale (No 2), which I paid a lot for.  Then I started on the flexi-discs, paying £75 for a first class copy of the 1963 disc.

A few years ago, I bought most of the US singles and albums in original pressings, which put me back a good £1000.  Lately, I've moved into buying Australian singles and eps and a few albums.

I can't help it!  When I was first buying my Beatles records, in the 80s, you could get a decent copy of, say, Rubber Soul for £5. 

eBay is great for buying up some of the cheaper records, but can get a bit mad on the more expensive items.  Buy the best quality you can afford and enjoy what you buy!

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2009, 08:48:20 PM »

eBay is great for buying up some of the cheaper records, but can get a bit mad on the more expensive items.  Buy the best quality you can afford and enjoy what you buy!

I totally agree about eBay - you do still pick up the occasional bargain on there if you're after low or mid-range items, but I have totally given up trying to bid on the top-end items because the prices just go sky-high.

About 10 years ago I set about trying to get a full set of original Italian 45s - I got over half way with the collection but gave up because records that used to go for £5 started to sell for £15 or £20 and I just couldn't afford it.

I think the internet has enabled a lot more people to become knowledgeable in what vinyl to buy and what to look for when buying, so there are more and more people chasing the good stuff on eBay now.

But eBay is still a good place to begin building up a collection because you can get still get VG condition records at reasonable prices.

Another good way of getting unusual records is trading with people in other countries - I did this a few years ago with someone in Canada and swapped three original UK LPs (which I had spare copies of) for the first three Canadian original LPs. All we paid was the postage. I've done this a few times with Beatles collectors in different countries and it has always worked well.

Pete

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »

I buy Viny.l When I can I want to get the Remasters on Viynl I know it`s out there I seen the catalog number listed in the EMI data base for the LP. I can get a vinyl copy of Abbey Road for 17.00 USD at Best Buy. The price of vinyl went down some. I think vinyl is better than CD

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2009, 03:08:46 AM »

^

Vinyl's got a much warmer sound than CD for sure.  I'm happy I preserved my collection over the years.  I don't mind the occasional static pop.  They sound real nice!

dramster

• One And One Is Two
  • nothing is real
    • My Myspace Music page
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »

Gotta have the vinyl.  There's something nice about the ritual of selecting an LP, wiping the dust off, cueing up the tone-arm etc.  And of course that was the way people listened to the Beatles when they were new.

I've got some nice Beatles vinyl that I collected years ago.  Some orignal pressing mono albums (With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver) and stereo (Sgt Pepper, The White Album).  I have the other British releases as reissues (such as Yellow Submarine on yellow vinyl).  Quite a few original 45s and EPs (some with picture covers) and a reissue of the Magical Mystery Tour double EP with book.  A few vinyl boots such as The Beatles Live in Munich 1966 and Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da. Various others such as Live at the Star Club, Live at the Hollywood Bowl, and Talk Downunder (And All Over) Vol2.  Dunno if it's all worth much, but I'm not selling.

Love my vinyl
"show me that i'm everywhere and get me home for tea"

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »

I didnt even know i had vinyl until I found it I have rubber soul and Sgt. Peppers lonely hearts club band and I also have a john lennon one and george harrison
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

Bubby Gnome

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »

I do... a have a few
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Page created in 1.052 seconds with 90 queries.