Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: JET HARRIS  (Read 6894 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
JET HARRIS
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »

Y-8W9qe-2Xo
Jet Harris (born Terence Harris, 6 July 1939, Honeypot Lane, Kingsbury, North London, England) was the bass guitarist of The Shadows until April 1962 and had subsequent success as a soloist and as a duo with drummer Tony Meehan .http://www.jetharris.biz/
WWz8WHeS_Lw

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
Re: JET HARRIS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:31:54 AM »

i found this at you tube..
Punchyuk said
many moons ago (easter 1988 ?) I had the pleasure of meeting him at the bracklesham bay holiday park. I worked there as the dj and kids entertainer.
He performed a few numbers along with the dallas boys, vernon girls and a couple of other acts that I cannot remember now,
brilliant night it was. He was a funny bloke, I was a rather naive 20 year old back then, I asked him "so what happened with you and tony meehan?" he looked at me with a sly grin and replied " divorced son, we got divorced"

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:35:25 AM »

get over it cliff...
7733SZAmkVw

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44:39 AM »

jets song for the late tony meehan...
OE-Amqf4P7c

quite a moving dirge....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:32:53 AM »

jimmy page played on diamonds with jet and tony...was this because page was asessions player or a friend?rhythm guitar tho not lead...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:01 AM »

hully gully by jet harris and tony meehan
2B-K0C-xFX8

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »

Didn't Cliff Richard have an affair with Jet Harris' wife while they were both in the Shadows?  I read something about that.......it caused a lot of tension in the band and Jet's drinking escalated because of it.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »

he claims carol costa was the one who initiated it...but now read this...he went to the otherside...he likes a man...http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/21658.htm   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1094298/Cliff-Richard-stole-wife--hed-secretly-married-African-princess.htmlthe second link had this in it....Jet cringes when you refer to it, understandably. If the almost sainted Cliff Richard is known to have had sexual relations with only one woman in his life, how unfortunate to know that woman was your wife.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »

found this too..."I'm aware of the rumours but I am not gay," the singer told the Daily Mail in 1996. In 1990 he confessed that, despite platonic friendships with Olivia Newton-John and Sue Barker, his one sexual relationship with a woman happened when he was 18 and he seduced Carol Costa, then wife of Jet Harris, bass player with his backing group, The Shadows. It was his mother, Dorothy, 85, and suffering from Alzheimer's, who is said to have persuaded him to end the relationship. She believed sex outside of marriage to be immoral but warned him that getting married would damage his career. His long-term mentor, Bill Latham, a teacher at his old school, to whom he turned for spiritual guidance in the 1960s, lived with him for 30 years but moved out of the singer's home five years ago, shortly before McElynn moved in. Latham, who had a relationship with Cliff's long-term secretary, Jill Clarke, still works for the Cliff Richard Organisation but acquaintances say their friendship is not as intense as it once was.
      at this link.......http://news.scotsman.com/tonyblairsleadership/Whats-it-all-about-Tony.2656790.jp

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

Thanks for the articles!  At least Jet is doing much better these days.  It was interesting to see photos of his wife Carol.....what an unfortunate triangle that was!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »

worse yet cliff is out of the closet....or could that be where guilt drove him??

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »

Awesome clip of Jet doing "Diamond"!  Really enjoyed that.  But that bloke on acoustic guitar really should consider a haircut--I kept wondering why Bozo the Clown was on stage.  

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »

Quote from: 9
Awesome clip of Jet doing "Diamond"!  Really enjoyed that.  But that bloke on acoustic guitar really should consider a haircut--I kept wondering why Bozo the Clown was on stage.  
;D i think that's the doc from back to the future.....

Diamonds (Jet Harris & Tony Meehan Classic) Tangent

wJ1xHn2IpLs

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »

A+ for the tambourine player.  

You gotta give it to these guys.  They "look" rock-n-roll.  

Wonder why they put the short bald guy in the middle between the jumbo-sized guitarists on risers?  Entertainment, it's a tricky business.

Tyzos

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

I've once read that Jet met Paul McCartney somewhere back in 1965(?) and that Paul had a chat with him saying he admired Jet's bassplaying, which influenced Paul. Is that true?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »

i would imagine that is true...here is one link that supports that...http://www.amershamrocknrollclub.co.uk/
scroll down to the 50th anniversary section....in fact john and george wrote cry for a shadow to parody the shadows style of playing...hence the name cry for a SHADOW...
john paul jones played bass for jet and tony right after they had their hit diamonds....i think he was there for a few years...he was almost asked to join the shadows too...sorry probally needless info there lol

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 05:25:43 PM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »

Pegasus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »

Jet Harris was THE Bass player in Britain from 1959 to 1963....!

John Entwistle of The Who was a fan...as were MANY Bass players....!

Jet played Bass guitar like a Lead instrument....listen to "F.B.I.", "The Boys", "Quartermasster Stores",  "South of The Border", - these early Shadows tracks  feature Jet playing  with his amp turned right up ! - his style combined Rock & Jazz style improvisation playing ...listen to "Nivram"

Having left The Shadows early in 1962 he first had solo hits with "Besame Mucho" & "Man With The Golden Arm"...then stunned everyone by teaming with fellow Ex-Shadow Tony Meehan...imagine Entwistle & Moon as a combo ! ...for Jerry Lordan's "Diamonds"...which kicked their old Band The Shadows off top spot in Britain in 1963 !

they had further hits with "Scarlett O'Hara" (number two)  & "Applejack" (number six)....but then Jet was badly injured in a car smash...he almost died...which effectively ended his Pop career....until recent years when Thankfully our very own "Mr. bass Man" finally  returned to making some great new instrumental music....check out any of his later CD's !

Jet is a legendary Bass player & a fine guitarist too !   8)

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 78 queries.