Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your favourite albums from 1963 to 1973  (Read 14252 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Your favourite albums from 1963 to 1973
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »

Nice choices, didn't expect you to pick Odessey and Oracle over Friends. Also, who is Jim Croce?

Yeah, that was a tough choice since both albums are in my all-time top 10.

Jim Croce's best known songs:

Jim Croce - Time in a bottle - 1973

Jim Croce - Greatest Hits - I Got A Name

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »

And I thought they could never turn The Beatles into disco, Kev.  But they did.

Sometimes whoever was singing John's part sounded very much like him.

I can stay till it's time to go

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »

David Bowie's great albums

Aladdin Sane
Low
Ziggy Stardust

And what about 'Station to Station', in which he takes the ghostly, robotic coldness that would be all over 'Low' and 'Heroes' one year later, and adds a soul(ful) punch to it? A truly bizarre masterpiece, that one.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »

I'd forgotten all about this thread but, as I was asked a direct question by Ovi, I hate 'Quadrophenia' with a passion; both the film (poorly acted, detail upon detail wrong, lousy story with dislikeable characters) AND the plodding, heavy rock/prog (for a film about Mod?!) double album.

I give up on The Who around 1968, although if 'Tommy' had been a single LP, and dispensed with 'Overture' and 'Underture' and any sense of it being a Rock Opera, it might be more palatable today.
Alas, the dire film, constant touring of it, and now a deluxe box set (!) has put paid to that.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »

I'd forgotten all about this thread but, as I was asked a direct question by Ovi, I hate 'Quadrophenia' with a passion; both the film (poorly acted, detail upon detail wrong, lousy story with dislikeable characters) AND the plodding, heavy rock/prog (for a film about Mod?!) double album.

You're in denial mate, Quadrophenia is the greatest album of all-time. (haven't seen the movie though)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »

You're in denial mate, Quadrophenia is the greatest album of all-time. (haven't seen the movie though)

I have to second that. I think Quadrophenia is brilliant, and I thought the movie depicted Jimmy and his struggles nearly perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:56:56 PM by Normandie »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »

Never cried in front of a computer in my life, not likely to happen neither, anyway.....

How on earth can Quadrophenia be the 'greatest album of all time' (really?) and yet YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THE FILM?
If you think that Quadrophenia is the 'greatest album of all time' (no, really?) wouldn't it have occurred to you to, erm, SEE THE FILM?

Doh!
The video and/or dvd of the film is a staple 49p-99p purchase in any Oxfam/charity shop. I could pick up a copy within 10 minutes from my house.

When I first heard 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Help!' and 'Let It Be' one of my first thoughts, funnily enough, was that I might go and see the respective films.....especially if I thought they were 'the greatest albums of all time'!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

Never cried in front of a computer in my life, not likely to happen neither, anyway.....

How on earth can Quadrophenia be the 'greatest album of all time' (really?) and yet YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THE FILM?
If you think that Quadrophenia is the 'greatest album of all time' (no, really?) wouldn't it have occurred to you to, erm, SEE THE FILM?

Doh!
The video and/or dvd of the film is a staple 49p-99p purchase in any Oxfam/charity shop. I could pick up a copy within 10 minutes from my house.

When I first heard 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Help!' and 'Let It Be' one of my first thoughts, funnily enough, was that I might go and see the respective films.....especially if I thought they were 'the greatest albums of all time'!

I can't say that Quadrophenia is my all-time favourite album on a music forum because 6 years later it was transformed into a movie? Not following you...they're two different things. By that logic, I wouldn't be able to say Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book unless I'd seen the 2005 movie starring Keira Knightley? The albums A Hard Day's Night and Help! were soundtracks to the movies - the films came first and not the opposite. So that's different.

The reason I haven't watched the movie yet, if you're really curious, is because I think I'll find it disappointing. The movie created by the songs of the album is already 'tattooed' on my mind as the result of dozens of listens. I don't need no director and screen-writer to explain the plot to me, I've already made up my own interpretations of literally every action presented in the album. Pete Townshend is my director and screen-writer, The Who are my actors.

Having said that, I will watch the movie as soon as I get some free time, just so I can have your blessing to say that Quadrophenia is the greatest album of all-time (which, by the way, was a tongue-in-cheek statement, as was the picture - I would never claim to such objective truth unless having heard every single album ever released). Lighten up and try to post more about the things you like, rather than dislike.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:28:28 PM by Ovi »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »

I can understand a preference of 60s music.  It was the most exciting decade for music with so many genres gaining popularity.  We had doo wop, rockabilly, folk, folk rock, jug band, blues, Motown and psychedelic music and bands making the scene in the 1960s.  We haven't seen another decade like that in half a century.  And I don't think we ever will again.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »

I can understand a preference of 60s music.  It was the most exciting decade for music with so many genres gaining popularity.  We had doo wop, rockabilly, folk, folk rock, jug band, blues, Motown and psychedelic music and bands making the scene in the 1960s.  We haven't seen another decade like that in half a century.  And I don't think we ever will again.

As we all know Baz music is very subjective and I disagree about the 60's, for me personally (and Im old enough to remember the 60's) I think as far as albums go the 70's were better, maybe the charts (singles) were better in the 60's with Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich and Hermans Hermits though  ;D

For me the 70's was fantastic, you have to remember though, Im a huge fan of progressive rock.... I have collected well over 1000 prog rock albums from all over the world, (even Venezuela)  ;D....... 90% of which was recorded in the 70's...........and some of it is mindblowingly good.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »

As we all know Baz music is very subjective and I disagree about the 60's, for me personally (and Im old enough to remember the 60's) I think as far as albums go the 70's were better, maybe the charts (singles) were better in the 60's with Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich and Hermans Hermits though  ;D

For me the 70's was fantastic, you have to remember though, Im a huge fan of progressive rock.... I have collected well over 1000 prog rock albums from all over the world, (even Venezuela)  ;D....... 90% of which was recorded in the 70's...........and some of it is mindblowingly good.

Yeah it depends on the music. The 80s are much maligned but early to mid 80s I thought was the golden age of Aussie rock. So many of our classic bands around then. Most of them playing accessible pub style venues in the capital cities.

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »

Yeah it depends on the music. The 80s are much maligned but early to mid 80s I thought was the golden age of Aussie rock. So many of our classic bands around then. Most of them playing accessible pub style venues in the capital cities.

and I'll gaurantee that most people who slate the 80's have never even heard any Aussie Rock bands like The Angels or Chisel, they just say 'The 80's were crap' because theyre own favourites didnt do much and Depeche Mode were in the charts  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 05:13:43 AM »

I love a ton of 80's stuff, but I will admit that right around 87' it started to get tough to listen to.

Not liking Quadrophenia,,,,,,

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:43 AM »

Ovi (quoted on 8/2/2014 to oldbrownshoe):
'I would seriously like to know what you think about Quadrophenia'.

No you didn't, you wanted me to post that I didn't like it so you could come out with a tirade about how it's the 'greatest album of all time' or some such tosh which you're now back-tracking from.

I can't believe I'm wasting time on such a bland, leaden and uninteresting subject.
It's like sitting in on a Jose Mourinho press conference.

michel88

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 06:21:09 AM »

I would have to include a few albums from the Grateful Dead discography like “American Beauty” and “Europe 72” in that list of the best rock albums from 1963 to 1973.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »

1963: Please Please Me (The Beatles)
1964; A Hard Day's Night (The Beatles)
1965: Rubber Soul (The Beatles)
1966: Revolver (The Beatles)
1967: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles)
1968: The Beatles (The Beatles)
1969: Abbey Road (The Beatles)
1970: Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel)
1971: Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
1972: Argus (Wishbone Ash)
1973: Band On The Run (Paul McCartney & Wings)

(I've avoided any compilations even though there were some good ones within that span)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »

Not bad Mr M
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »

1968 The White album.   Nuff Said!  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »

Being born in '63 and Canadian, this first ever mono Canadian Beatles LP to hit our shores, is and will always will be my fav. 1963 Album.  icon_good

Has the exact same recording and song set list as the UK LP and came out just a few days after the original UK version.

Beatles music gives me Eargasms
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.797 seconds with 80 queries.