Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!  (Read 19156 times)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:21 AM »

It is a shame that prop 8 passed...I was very shocked.  I just don't understand why people care so much what two grown adults that love each other want to do.  Everytime I ask someone against gay marriage why they believe what they do, it always boils down to the bible. And I respect people and their religions but you cannot force your religious beliefs on others. If you think gay people are going to burn in hell, then let them worry about it and mind your own business.  This is a form of discrimination.  
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »

Quote from: 1204
If you think gay people are going to burn in hell, then let them worry about it and mind your own business.  
*applauds*

Well said!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »

^ Indeed.  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with children and their ability to absorb things. When society says it`s ok, you go and taste it. Certainly grown-ups won`t suddenly change, but children, who don`t know what they are yet, might get the taste. Because basically it all comes from the head. And the seduction is dangerous: Look, the drugs are sold in the school lounge, why not go and take them, and you are drawn into it... I want the new generation to have a straight way of life, to have children of their own, then their own grandchildren. They can also adopt a child...Or else humanity will vanish from the surface of the earth. But once a person realizes the fact that they are gay, then nothing to be done about it. I have absolutely no problem with it, with such people. I have such a friend, not a close one though.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2008, 12:54:05 AM »

Some people voted for it because they didn't agree with the California Supreme Court "abandoning its role as an objective interpreter of the law and instead legislating from the bench."

I'm not sure how many, but it was part of all those advertisements. A lot of people weren't happy with the court basically acting outside of their rights. These renegade judges don't always help the cause by doing these kinds of things. But this issue isn't dead. Not by a long shot.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2008, 12:54:16 AM »

Jane, are you speaking from personal experience? "children, who don`t know what they are yet, might get the taste" -- How will sanctioning marriage between two adult people give children a "taste" for homosexuality? I don't follow this argument at all. I grew up in a drug-heavy neighborhood and never acquired a "taste". Are you just repeating myths, or do you have any evidence?

"basically it all comes from the head." - That is an unsupported opinion. Science and studies of the natural world strongly indicate homosexuality is genetic-- about 10% of the animal world demonstrates homosexual behavior. Humans are natural creatures. It's entirely reasonable to me to suppose, if 10% of racehorses are gay (they call them "reluctant breeders") and so on with cattle and chimpanzees and mice and what have you, why wouldn't 10% of humans be gay? It's a natural percentage of the population. The whole race isn't going to die out any more than it will because a minority is hemophiliac, or albino, or diabetic. It's just another natural expression.  

"I want the new generation to have a straight way of life" - Fine, you can want that all you like. But it isn't right to impose your wishes on other people who are doing no harm, just trying to express who they are. They can get beat up for holding hands in public. How would you like the tables turned if you were in the minority? The greatness of a people lies in how well they protect those who are in the minority-- the ones who do disagree with the majority, the basic rights of whom our Founding Fathers were so keen to put into the Constitution. I really don't understand why people are so keen to legislate what other people can do in their own time in their own homes, that doesn't hurt any other person in the world. Laws are to protect the common good. Nothing is being endangered here. Why all the fuss?
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

No fuss at all. You shouldn`t worry! Everything is ok. Gays are protected and fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to them.
Moreover, you have the whole states in the USA to accomodate them and the whole large gay communities living next to other people, which I learned from your posts. They will get married, make families, adopt children, who will look at them day and night. And their adopted children will turn gay when they grow up. I just expressed concern about children, gays` adopted ones and children on the whole who will see such families which will be created. I take into account chidren`s ability to imitate and absorb, their delicate phyche. Since I am in education, I know a thing or two about it. It is also proved that if a child is raised by a gay parent he/she becomes gay. Or if a boy is raised by women, and sisters make him play with dolls, dress him like a girl for fun, that can also have an influence. Maybe you are right, there are genetically-disposed people, but a great lot are drawn into this diversion. It is done by active propaganda, one part of which is parades, by developing an expanding glamorous attractive sub-culture, showing it in the mass media and telling everybody that it`s ok, just go and take it. Even you say, influenced by the propaganda, that all those people are genetically-gay. Whereas they are not. Some are victims.
But by no means am I going to change your mind on the issue (as I myself have nothing against them!). And I know that nobody will agree with me here since it is politically incorrect to question at least anything concerning gays. And if we take gays` rights, one - to be able to show their ways, and children`s rights - to be spared from seeing this, I know that you will vote for gays, out of the two opposite rights you will choose gays`. But I will vote for children. Gays can do anything in their homes, clubs though...

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #227 on: November 15, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »

^^I disagree what so many things in that statement. But let me just put it this way...

Kids are going to grow up and see it anyways...Gay people are not going to go away.  To take away the rights of people just because you do not know how to explain to a child what is happening to me seems kind of selfish and it is discrimination.

Just one other thing....I didn't want to get going but, just because a gay couple adopts a child...does not mean that child will turn gay. Period.  I know because I have seen it with my own eyes.

I hope that doesn't come off harsh, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I do respect that.  I guess I have just become passionate about this issue.
<br />

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

HeatherBoo, I absolutely believe you! You maybe right. Maybe I am wrong, but i am concerned.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

I want to apologize again if I came off harsh Jane.  Just like I do not like others to oppose their beliefs on me, I shouldn't to others.  I guess I just wanted to share what I felt and how I feel, as do you.  

That is why I am happy I live where I live where we can speak our minds and vote on issues. In other countries, that is not possible.
<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »

While I cannot speak from personal experience, I don't think the children of gay parents will become gay themselves.  The same goes for the children of straight parents--they do not necessarily turn out straight.  Sexual orientation is not contagious; you are born into it.

I know some people are scared of teaching their children about homosexuality, but I learned about it when I was pretty young (9 or 10) and it did not disturb me or make me gay.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 64 queries.