Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BEATLES 2 - Your Tracklist  (Read 4470 times)

dbone828

• A Beginning
BEATLES 2 - Your Tracklist
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »

As we are all aware, in 2000, the Beatles released a single-disc compilation containing all 27 of their songs that made #1 on the charts in the United States or England.  The sales exceeded just about everyone's expectations, topping the album charts in 35 countries, became the fastest-selling album of all time (12 million copies in its first 3 weeks worldwide), is the top-selling album of this millennium, and the biggest-selling CD (not album) of all time.  That's pretty impressive for an album with all previously released material no younger than thirty years of age.

Although it wasn't the Beatles who came up with the #1's album concept (I believe Mariah Carey's 1998 compilation was the first of its kind), the group's version did inspire a similar release of Elvis Presley's ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits (2002).  Although a worldwide success, it didn't meet anywhere near the sales figures of Beatles 1.  It did however spawn a sequel the following year, called 2nd to None.

There have been rumours of a follow-up to Beatles 1 (perhaps called Beatles 2), and the Beatles were in talks of releasing one.  I suppose they never settled on such a set, but ever since the release of Beatles 1, I couldn't help but wonder what the track listing would look like for this Beatles 2 album.

You could take different approaches to it (I've heard many ideas): the biggest songs that didn't make #1, the songs that made #1 in the other countries, the B-sides to the #1's, album cuts only, or some combination of the aforementioned ideas.  Another concept I like is the songs that made #1 by the Beatles in their solo career, but for the sake of this thread, we'll leave the solo years alone.

So, which songs would you pick for a Beatles 2 compilation?  You've got 80 minutes worth of disc space to use up.  Take advantage of it!

I will post my list soon.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

dbone828

• A Beginning
Re: BEATLES 2 - Your Tracklist
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »

1. Please Please Me - The exclusion of this song was one of the major complaints about Beatles 1.  It made #1 on just about every chart in England, except the official one.  So technically, it's a UK #2, and it also made #3 in the US.  It also appeared at #184 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
2. Twist and Shout - Sure, it's a cover, but I promise it's the only cover I included.  But they made it their own.  It made #2 on the US charts (and the EP of the same name also made #2 in the UK), and re-entered the top 40 in the '80s...the only Beatles song to do become a US top 40 hit on more than one occasion.
3. Do You Want to Know a Secret - Yes, yet another #2 hit for the boys.  Sure, it might not be one of my faves, but I can't be biased here.  Plus it still gets great airplay.  Little known fact: Despite its popularity, "Do You Want to Know a Secret" has never appeared on a Beatles compilation.  Perhaps it's about time.
4. I Saw Her Standing There - Even as a B-side in the US to "I Want to Hold Your Hand," this song still managed to make the top 20 on its own.  It has become a classic, and is considered by this board to be the biggest snub from the Red Album.  This made #139 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs list.
5. All My Loving - Easily the highlight of With the Beatles, this song wasn't released as a single, but managed to become a minor hit in the US due to import sales of a Canadian single! (My homeland, where "All My Loving" made #1, and is one of their biggest-selling singles).  Despite its lack of single release, "All My Loving" manages to get massive airplay on American radio today.
6. And I Love Her - Became a top 20 hit in the US, and a classic from the Hard Day's Night album.
7. Nowhere Man - Who knew that the Beatles' first song NOT about love would end up making #3 on the US charts?  The only song from the Rubber Soul album released as an American single, "Nowhere Man" has also become synonymous with its memorable use in the film Yellow Submarine.
8. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - Another classic Rubber Soul cut, John's ballad about an affair managed to make the #83 spot on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs list.
9. In My Life - If you thought "Norwegian Wood"'s placing on Rolling Stone's list was impressive, "In My Life" made #23, one of only five Beatles songs to make the top 25 (and the highest-ranking song that didn't make #1).  This song has become a huge fan favourite, and rightfully so.
10. Michelle - Can anyone name the only Beatles song to win the Grammy for Song of the Year? "Yesterday?" Nope.  "Let It Be?"  Nope.  "Hey Jude?" "A Day in the Life?" "Strawberry Fields?" Nope, nope, nope.  Paul's bilingual "Michelle" was, believe-it-or-not, their only Song of the Year winner.  This song was never released as a single in the US or UK, but perhaps it should have been.  It made #1 in at least 7 countries around the world (France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark).
11. Got to Get You Into My Life - this catchy number from the 1966 Revolver album wasn't released as a single until ten years later, but that didn't stop it from making #7 on the US charts.  Two years later, Earth, Wind & Fire's version of the song also made the top ten, peaking at #9.
12. Here, There and Everywhere - this fan favourite from Revolver in considered by McCartney to be one of his favourite songs he's ever written
13. Strawberry Fields Forever - Along with "Please Please Me," the lack of "Strawberry Fields" was a major complaint about Beatles 1.  In the UK, it was a double A-side with "Penny Lane," but only made it to #2.  In the US, "Penny Lane" was the A-side, and managed to make #1, while "Strawberry Fields Forever," the B-side, made it to #8.  This song is one of the group's most critically acclaimed songs, and made #76 on Rolling Stone's 500 list.
14. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - the title track from what consider their best album, "Sgt. Pepper" has also become a concert staple for McCartney, and is a fine lead-in to our next song.
15. With a Little Help from My Friends - A classic in its own right, "With a Little Help" has also been covered by Joe Cocker, who gave it his own twist, and gave Lennon and McCartney yet another UK #1 hit.  Rolling Stone also put the Beatles' version at #304 on its all-time greatest songs list.
16. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - This is an historical Beatles song, and an obvious highlight from the Sgt. Pepper album.  The Beatles never released it as a single, but a cover by Elton John made it to #1.
17. A Day in the Life - considered the pinnacle of Sgt. Pepper, and one of the group's most critically acclaimed songs.  Made #26 on Rolling Stone's all-time best list.
18. I Am the Walrus - Despite being a B-side that didn't crack the Top 40, "I Am the Walrus" has over time become one of their most popular songs among fans.
19. Revolution - Was going to be released as the A-side, but when McCartney introduced his ode to Lennon's son, John gladly settled for the B-side in favor of "Hey Jude."  "Revolution" still managed to become a top 20 hit in the US, and continues to get significant airplay.
20. Back in the USSR - This became a UK top 20 hit when it was released as a single nearly ten years later, and is another concert staple for McCartney.
21. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Even if most of the Beatles hated this song, Macca wanted it to be released as a single.  It wasn't, but it was included on the 1967-1970 compilation, and is fairly recognizable to casual listeners.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - This was Harrison's first masterpiece song, and arguably the best song from the White Album.  It made #135 of Rolling Stone's list.
23. Blackbird - This has become a very well known song to non-Beatles fans, perhaps due to its cover by Sarah McLachlan.  Either way, it's a beautiful classic, and deserves inclusion.
24. Across the Universe - A fan favourite, this Lennon mantra is truly a classic.  Perhaps a bit overlooked.  I'm glad it was included on the 1967-1970 compilation album.
25. Here Comes the Sun - With "Something" already on Beatles 1, "Here Comes the Sun" completes Harrison's "holy trinity" of Beatles songs.  This is a classic, a highlight from Abbey Road, and has managed to get great radio airplay despite no single release.  A cover by Richie Havens in the '70s made the top 20.  Perhaps the boys would have had a top ten if this was released as a 45.
26. Golden Slumbers - One of their most overlooked songs, "Golden Slumbers" begins the finale of their last recorded album in this three part medley
27. Carry That Weight
28. The End - I figured it would be a fitting finish to the CD (thus the reason why I ordered this chronologically by recording date, putting "Across the Universe" at #24 rather than following "The End")

I really wanted to include "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love," as they were both top ten hits, but these songs have not stood the test of time, and aren't generally considered "real" Beatles songs.  Other songs I would have loved to include, but had to drop, due to space: "Don't Let Me Down," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "If I Fell," "I Should Have Known Better," "Octopus's Garden," "Magical Mystery Tour," "The Fool on the Hill," "Drive My Car," "Helter Skelter," "Rain," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "She's a Woman," "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," and "Dear Prudence," just to name a few.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »

Quote from: 1628
I really wanted to include "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love," as they were both top ten hits, but these songs have not stood the test of time...

IMHO, I wouldn't say that about "Real Love."  I think the Threetles version is really very lovely; it just doesn't get much radio airplay in the States.

Great "Beatles 2" list, BTW.  Thank you for including "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever."  I would also have to throw in "If I Fell"...that song is a total must for me.

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:59:35 AM »

Quote from: 1620

IMHO, I wouldn't say that about "Real Love."  I think the Threetles version is really very lovely; it just doesn't get much radio airplay in the States.

Great "Beatles 2" list, BTW.  Thank you for including "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever."  I would also have to throw in "If I Fell"...that song is a total must for me.

I actually think the Beatles' version of "Real Love" is great, and one of my favourite Beatles songs.  But like you said, this doesn't get much airplay in the States, and that's what I meant by standing the test of time.

Dr Robert

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:44:28 AM »

DBone828, the problem with writing up a list as good as the one you did, is that none of us will be able to follow it up with lists of our own! Excellent list; I really can't argue with anything you've posted there.

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

Hahha... I'm glad you like it, but I'm sure there's something you would change about it.

MysticRobC5

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:54:29 AM »

If I had to pick what I thought Apple would include, it would look something like this...

Please Please Me
I Saw Her Standing There
Do You Want To Know A Secret
Twist And Shout
All My Loving
And I Love Her
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Norwegian Wood
Drive My Car
In My Life
Nowhere Man
Girl
Got To Get You Into My Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
I Am The Walrus
The Fool On The Hill
Across The Universe
Revolution
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Don't Let Me Down
Octopus's Garden

&quot;And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love... you make&quot;.<br />

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:46 AM »

Quote from: 1809
If I had to pick what I thought Apple would include, it would look something like this...

Please Please Me
I Saw Her Standing There
Do You Want To Know A Secret
Twist And Shout
All My Loving
And I Love Her
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Norwegian Wood
Drive My Car
In My Life
Nowhere Man
Girl
Got To Get You Into My Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
I Am The Walrus
The Fool On The Hill
Across The Universe
Revolution
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Don't Let Me Down
Octopus's Garden

Those are all very good picks.  I could see them releasing that.

ManBeatles

• A Beginning
  • my name is Elson.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »

this is mine.

1. Please Please Me
2. Twist and Shout
3. All My Loving
4. If I fell
5. I Should Have Known Better
6. I'm A Loser
7. I'll Be Back
8. She's A Woman
9. Another Girl
10. Drive My Car
11. Norwegian Wood
12. Taxman
13. She Said She Said
14. Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Rain
16. SFF.
17. A Day in the Life
18. Sgt. Pepper
19. With a Little Help from my friends
20. MMT.
21. The Inner Light
22. Back in the USSR.
23. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
24. Hey Bulldog
25. Octopus's Garden
26. Here Comes the Sun
27. Across the Universe  (same as "Let it Be...naked" version)
28. Two of Us  (same as "Let it Be...naked" version)
29. The End (same as "Anthology 3" version)

I don't care My tracklist is it comes from singles, Although "Beatles 1" all tracks come from singles.

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »

'1' always seemed to me the Beatles estate's attempt at stealing some of that Abba Gold thunder.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »

Quote from: 1628
1. Please Please Me - The exclusion of this song was one of the major complaints about Beatles 1.  It made #1 on just about every chart in England, except the official one.  So technically, it's a UK #2, and it also made #3 in the US.  It also appeared at #184 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
2. Twist and Shout - Sure, it's a cover, but I promise it's the only cover I included.  But they made it their own.  It made #2 on the US charts (and the EP of the same name also made #2 in the UK), and re-entered the top 40 in the '80s...the only Beatles song to do become a US top 40 hit on more than one occasion.
3. Do You Want to Know a Secret - Yes, yet another #2 hit for the boys.  Sure, it might not be one of my faves, but I can't be biased here.  Plus it still gets great airplay.  Little known fact: Despite its popularity, "Do You Want to Know a Secret" has never appeared on a Beatles compilation.  Perhaps it's about time.
4. I Saw Her Standing There - Even as a B-side in the US to "I Want to Hold Your Hand," this song still managed to make the top 20 on its own.  It has become a classic, and is considered by this board to be the biggest snub from the Red Album.  This made #139 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs list.
5. All My Loving - Easily the highlight of With the Beatles, this song wasn't released as a single, but managed to become a minor hit in the US due to import sales of a Canadian single! (My homeland, where "All My Loving" made #1, and is one of their biggest-selling singles).  Despite its lack of single release, "All My Loving" manages to get massive airplay on American radio today.
6. And I Love Her - Became a top 20 hit in the US, and a classic from the Hard Day's Night album.
7. Nowhere Man - Who knew that the Beatles' first song NOT about love would end up making #3 on the US charts?  The only song from the Rubber Soul album released as an American single, "Nowhere Man" has also become synonymous with its memorable use in the film Yellow Submarine.
8. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - Another classic Rubber Soul cut, John's ballad about an affair managed to make the #83 spot on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs list.
9. In My Life - If you thought "Norwegian Wood"'s placing on Rolling Stone's list was impressive, "In My Life" made #23, one of only five Beatles songs to make the top 25 (and the highest-ranking song that didn't make #1).  This song has become a huge fan favourite, and rightfully so.
10. Michelle - Can anyone name the only Beatles song to win the Grammy for Song of the Year? "Yesterday?" Nope.  "Let It Be?"  Nope.  "Hey Jude?" "A Day in the Life?" "Strawberry Fields?" Nope, nope, nope.  Paul's bilingual "Michelle" was, believe-it-or-not, their only Song of the Year winner.  This song was never released as a single in the US or UK, but perhaps it should have been.  It made #1 in at least 7 countries around the world (France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark).
11. Got to Get You Into My Life - this catchy number from the 1966 Revolver album wasn't released as a single until ten years later, but that didn't stop it from making #7 on the US charts.  Two years later, Earth, Wind & Fire's version of the song also made the top ten, peaking at #9.
12. Here, There and Everywhere - this fan favourite from Revolver in considered by McCartney to be one of his favourite songs he's ever written
13. Strawberry Fields Forever - Along with "Please Please Me," the lack of "Strawberry Fields" was a major complaint about Beatles 1.  In the UK, it was a double A-side with "Penny Lane," but only made it to #2.  In the US, "Penny Lane" was the A-side, and managed to make #1, while "Strawberry Fields Forever," the B-side, made it to #8.  This song is one of the group's most critically acclaimed songs, and made #76 on Rolling Stone's 500 list.
14. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - the title track from what consider their best album, "Sgt. Pepper" has also become a concert staple for McCartney, and is a fine lead-in to our next song.
15. With a Little Help from My Friends - A classic in its own right, "With a Little Help" has also been covered by Joe Cocker, who gave it his own twist, and gave Lennon and McCartney yet another UK #1 hit.  Rolling Stone also put the Beatles' version at #304 on its all-time greatest songs list.
16. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - This is an historical Beatles song, and an obvious highlight from the Sgt. Pepper album.  The Beatles never released it as a single, but a cover by Elton John made it to #1.
17. A Day in the Life - considered the pinnacle of Sgt. Pepper, and one of the group's most critically acclaimed songs.  Made #26 on Rolling Stone's all-time best list.
18. I Am the Walrus - Despite being a B-side that didn't crack the Top 40, "I Am the Walrus" has over time become one of their most popular songs among fans.
19. Revolution - Was going to be released as the A-side, but when McCartney introduced his ode to Lennon's son, John gladly settled for the B-side in favor of "Hey Jude."  "Revolution" still managed to become a top 20 hit in the US, and continues to get significant airplay.
20. Back in the USSR - This became a UK top 20 hit when it was released as a single nearly ten years later, and is another concert staple for McCartney.
21. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Even if most of the Beatles hated this song, Macca wanted it to be released as a single.  It wasn't, but it was included on the 1967-1970 compilation, and is fairly recognizable to casual listeners.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - This was Harrison's first masterpiece song, and arguably the best song from the White Album.  It made #135 of Rolling Stone's list.
23. Blackbird - This has become a very well known song to non-Beatles fans, perhaps due to its cover by Sarah McLachlan.  Either way, it's a beautiful classic, and deserves inclusion.
24. Across the Universe - A fan favourite, this Lennon mantra is truly a classic.  Perhaps a bit overlooked.  I'm glad it was included on the 1967-1970 compilation album.
25. Here Comes the Sun - With "Something" already on Beatles 1, "Here Comes the Sun" completes Harrison's "holy trinity" of Beatles songs.  This is a classic, a highlight from Abbey Road, and has managed to get great radio airplay despite no single release.  A cover by Richie Havens in the '70s made the top 20.  Perhaps the boys would have had a top ten if this was released as a 45.
26. Golden Slumbers - One of their most overlooked songs, "Golden Slumbers" begins the finale of their last recorded album in this three part medley
27. Carry That Weight
28. The End - I figured it would be a fitting finish to the CD (thus the reason why I ordered this chronologically by recording date, putting "Across the Universe" at #24 rather than following "The End")

I really wanted to include "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love," as they were both top ten hits, but these songs have not stood the test of time, and aren't generally considered "real" Beatles songs.  Other songs I would have loved to include, but had to drop, due to space: "Don't Let Me Down," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "If I Fell," "I Should Have Known Better," "Octopus's Garden," "Magical Mystery Tour," "The Fool on the Hill," "Drive My Car," "Helter Skelter," "Rain," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "She's a Woman," "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," and "Dear Prudence," just to name a few.

Very objective compilation and great explanation about why the songs were selected. I can see that most of the songs were logically included in the Red or Blue albums. From a chart point of view, I think you should have included "Magical Mystery Tour", since it was the title track of the double-EP that reached #2 in the UK singles chart.

An additional info about "Michelle": it was #1 in UK as a version by the Overlanders.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

daytrip202

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

I had a similar idea for a thread I was going to start, but this one is so similar that it would be kind of redundant.  My idea was this:

Come up with a "best of" album for the Beatles that only features songs that have not already been included on other best of albums.  The only three I could think of that I would count as true "Best of" albums were 1, the red album, and the blue album (love songs, rock & roll music etc. are theme compilations, not best of compilations).  I believe every song on 1 is already on red and blue, so it really came down to pick the best Beatles songs that are not on red or blue.

I also debated about format, should it be a single disc, or multiple discs like the red and blue albums.  I decide on two single CD length compilations.  One through '66, and one for the later years just like the red and blue albums.  Mine also have the same number of songs as the red and blue albums:

The Red Album II (26 tracks, 1:03:06):
I Saw her standing there
Twist and shout
I'll Get You
Long Tall Sally
I Should have known better
If I Fell
You Can't Do That
I'll be back
No Reply
I'm a loser
Baby's in black
I'll follow the sun
I Need you
Another Girl
You're gonna lose that girl
It's only love
I've just seen a face
The word
I'm looking through you
If I needed someone
Rain
Taxman
I'm Only Sleeping
She Said She Said
And your bird can sing
Tomorrow Never knows

The Blue Album II (28 Tracks, 1:21:15) (Yes I'm aware that technically A CD's max limit is 80 min, but I do have a few classical CD's that are this length):
Getting Better
Within you without you
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
Baby you're a rich man
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Hapiness is a warm gun
Blackbird
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Cry baby cry
Two of us
Across the univers
I've got a feeling
For you blue
Oh! Darling
Because
You Never Give me your money
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She came in through the bathroom window
Golden Slumbers
Carry that Weight
The End

STILL p*ssED AT YOKO

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:25 PM »

I think some should be 'I Am The Walrus' 'Twist and Shout' 'Please Please Me' 'Back In The USSR' 'While My Guitar Genltey Weeps' 'PS I Love You' 'All My Loving' 'I Saw Her Standing There' 'When I'm 64' 'In My Life' 'Blackbird' 'Revolution' 'Strawberry Fields Forever' 'Taxman' 'Girl' 'Norwegian Wood' 'I'm Happy Just To Dance With You' 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' and 'Michelle' I know they are not in order, I was just throwing them out there lol. Any objectios haha

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 66 queries.