Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Dear Prudence  (Read 13588 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Dear Prudence
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »

Hi, I havent finished my write up about this song but I just wanted to get it going as its overdue (thanks to distractions like Christmas  ;D)

anyway I put some info soon, in the meantime, do you like it ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

stevie

• Getting Better
Re: Song Of The Week - Dear Prudence
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »

Yep, is my Beatles top 10.

Beautifully crafted, all facets of it played with care and skill. Funny story too, because I never realised it had all the little guitar in the verses until I played on Rock Band, lol.

John's voice sounds great, the bass is awesome, the drums ( ok, some books say that Paul played drums on it as Ringo was still away fed up; I think we've discussed this on another thread but I think it doesn't sound like Paul's drum style at all. Compare it with 'The Ballad of Ohn and Yoko', for instance) I dunno, maybe TK can give us more info. I used to have the Mark Lewisohn book years ago, but loaned it out and never got it back!

One of the Beatle's best songs.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »

Love it.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play
Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
The sun is up, the sky is blue
It's beautiful and so are you
Dear Prudence won't you come out to play

Dear Prudence open up your eyes
Dear Prudence see the sunny skies
The wind is low the birds will sing
That you are part of everything
Dear Prudence won't you open up your eyes?

Look around round round
Look around round round
Oh look around

Dear Prudence let me see you smile
Dear Prudence like a little child
The clouds will be a daisy chain
So let me see you smile again
Dear Prudence won't you let me see you smile?

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play
Dear Prudence, greet the brand new day
The sun is up, the sky is blue
It's beautiful and so are you
Dear Prudence won't you come out to play

The subject of the song is Prudence Farrow, actress Mia Farrow's sister, who was present when the Beatles went to India to study with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
Farrow became so serious about her meditation that she "turned into a near recluse" and "rarely came out" of the cottage she was living in. John Lennon was asked to "contact her and make sure she came out more often to socialize". As a result, Lennon wrote the song "Dear Prudence". In the song Lennon asks Farrow to "open up your eyes" and "see the sunny skies" reminding her that she is "part of everything". The song was said to be "a simple plea to a friend to 'snap out of it'".
Lennon said later that "She'd been locked in for three weeks and was trying to reach God quicker than anyone else".
According to Farrow: "I would always rush straight back to my room after lectures and meals so I could meditate. John, George and Paul would all want to sit around jamming and having a good time and I'd be flying into my room. They were all serious about what they were doing, but they just weren't as fanatical as me".
Lennon did play the song for Farrow while they were in India together. According to Farrow, "I was flattered. It was a beautiful thing to have done".
The lyrics of the song are simple and innocent and praise the beauty of nature in the lines: "The sun is up, the sky is blue, it's beautiful, and so are you".
They recorded the song at Trident Studios in London on 28, 29 and 30 August 1968.
Utilising state of the art eight-track recording equipment, the basic track included finger picking guitar performed by John Lennon as well as George Harrison on the lead guitar, plus Paul McCartney playing the drums in place of Ringo Starr, who had temporarily left the Beatles. The next day, McCartney performed and recorded the bass track and Lennon recorded additional layers to his vocals. Handclapping, tambourine and cowbell were then added by McCartney and Harrison. On the last day of the recording session, piano and flügelhorn tracks were recorded by McCartney.
The complete list of recording session personnel included:

John Lennon – double-tracked vocal, backing vocal, acoustic guitar
Paul McCartney – backing vocal, drums, bass, piano, flügelhorn, tambourine, cowbell, handclaps
George Harrison – backing vocal, lead guitar
Mal Evans – backing vocal, handclaps
Jackie Lomax – backing vocal, handclaps
John McCartney (Paul's cousin) – backing vocal, handclaps

Recorded: 28-30 August 1968
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Barry Sheffield

In the Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn notes that the end of the song originally featured applause from those who contributed backing vocals and handclaps, though it was left out of the final mix.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:36:26 AM by nimrod »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »

It's one of my favorite songs on the double LP.  John's voice was at its peak.  Paul's bass was the perfect accompaniment.  In 1969, I was seeing a girl named Nancy.  She had a younger sister named Prudence who would love it when I played this song for her on guitar.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »

looking at those pics Baz, I bet the people on them would just love to go back to those days, wonder how the very working class hairdresser Maureen got on living with the very middle class and well educated Jane :D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »

Rishikesh brought out Jane's freckles...

:)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »

The Beatles - "Dear Prudence" Stereo Remaster

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:57:53 AM »

Top two or three Beatle tunes for me ever. Love it. John is just too smooth as usual and the guitar is nice and crisp. Bass sounds awesome and I love the drumming and piano. I've never read anywhere that hasent stated that Paul was the drumer, but I admit, it sure does sound like Ringo. It has his style written all over it, but it was Paul. I never tire of the song and shush everybody in the room when it comes on. 

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:17 AM »

For any budding guitarists  ;D

How to play "Dear Prudence"

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »

Nice thread. Well done, nimrod. And thank you for that photo of Jane, Hello Goodbye.  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:52:36 PM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Might be my favorite beatles song. I think this is one of Johns timless songs with great imagery and compassion.
When I listen to it I hear 4 ( maybe 5) guitar parts which is one of my favorite things to do, seperate Beatles guitar parts (or try). The two intro guitar parts where John does his Donavan inspired riff throughout the song and behind that is George doing an electric rythm. This goes on through the whole song. At 1:50, George comes in with a short lead riff which opens up the song to it's gradually intensifying cresendo. At 2;15 Georges lead starts a bit quietly and builds with each verse until it's magnificent last verse (this is a similar lead method George used in Dr. Robert, as his lead starts rather small but by the 3rd verse it becomes a very intense lead that dominates the song). When The lead starts I think I hear an over dub of an second guitar matching at lower tone right behind  the main notes . This is why I say maybe 5 guitar parts. At the same time Georges lead starts, John (I believe) John comes in with a single grinding chord that is repeated through out till the end of the song where the song reverts to the same 2 guitars in the intro until it fades.
I think this may be the best guitar work of all time. It is truly "crafted and I never get tired of hearing this one!
Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:38:49 PM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »

Easily my very favorite song from the White Album and has always been a Top 10 (and maybe a Top 5) for me. A beautiful touch of sweetness, something hard to find in John's catalog. Paul's drumming is amazing, maybe that's why John said that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles (though I don't agree).
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 01:03:25 AM »

Might be my favorite beatles song. I think this is one of Johns timless songs with great imagery and compassion.
When I listen to it I hear 4 ( maybe 5) guitar parts which is one of my favorite things to do, seperate Beatles guitar parts (or try). The two intro guitar parts where John does his Donavan inspired riff throughout the song and behind that is George doing an electric rythm. This goes on through the whole song. At 1:50, George comes in with a short lead riff which opens up the song to it's gradually intensifying cresendo. At 2;15 Georges lead starts a bit quietly and builds with each verse until it's magnificent last verse (this is a similar lead method George used in Dr. Robert, as his lead starts rather small but by the 3rd verse it becomes a very intense lead that dominates the song). When The lead starts I think I hear an over dub of an second guitar matching at lower tone right behind  the main notes . This is why I say maybe 5 guitar parts. At the same time Georges lead starts, John (I believe) John comes in with a single grinding chord that is repeated through out till the end of the song where the song reverts to the same 2 guitars in the intro until it fades.
I think this may be the best guitar work of all time. It is truly "crafted and I never get tired of hearing this one!
Let me know what you think!

Yes.
All the more revealed on the new Remix.
This song seems to have that timeless quality, it never dates, its an incredible song sung magnificently by John, Ive heard covers but they pale in comparrison to John, he could put so much emotion in his voice.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 05:12:07 PM »

In a previous post, I said I thought Paul's "Mother Nature's Son" was the best song on the album.

But I can't really say that 100%.  "Dear Prudence" is absolutely beautiful.  It's another Beatles piece that I appreciated more as I grew older and "matured(?)"

I've often wondered if John liked Prudence as a possible romantic interest.  The song sure sounds like he's trying to reach out to her and attract her attention.

Oh my God, what a beautiful couple they'd have made!!!!!!!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 11:28:06 PM »

Yeah top 5 for me of all time Beatle songs. Possibly number 2.

I love playing the bass in this as it’s not that hard but still a fantastic line. My only gripe is that in the last third of the song, the bass is mixed really low and isn’t as prominent as the rest of the song. Seems like a studio error or maybe a late overdub that wasn’t mixed right.  It’s like there was two different bass lines recorded.  Annoys me no end as it kind of spoils the crescendo at the end.   All the other instruments get louder except for the murky bass.

While on the subject of bass, I’ve always thought that Duff’s lines in a lot of Guns N Roses songs were mixed way too low as well lol

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 02:30:45 AM »

Always mildly baffled at the kudos this one gets.

A swift and guiltless "delete" for me in the "Turn The White Album into a single LP" game.

I appreciate it's a gentle salve straight off the back of Paul's prickly USSR rocker. But I find it simply TOO airy-fairy and wispy - John's emasculated lead vocal is like candy floss and more or less evaporates on delivery. The backing ("Look around round round...") sounds like the others are on a double dose of Mogadon.

One of only two original Beatles numbers eclipsed by a cover version (Siouxsie & The Banshees' rendition demolishes it IMO).

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 03:24:29 AM »

Always mildly baffled at the kudos this one gets.

A swift and guiltless "delete" for me in the "Turn The White Album into a single LP" game.

I appreciate it's a gentle salve straight off the back of Paul's prickly USSR rocker. But I find it simply TOO airy-fairy and wispy - John's emasculated lead vocal is like candy floss and more or less evaporates on delivery. The backing ("Look around round round...") sounds like the others are on a double dose of Mogadon.

One of only two original Beatles numbers eclipsed by a cover version (Siouxsie & The Banshees' rendition demolishes it IMO).

For me it has some magic about it, an x factor I cant describe (like a few of Johns songs) I love it
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:53:12 PM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

The thing I like most about Dear Prudence is the mixture of John's dreamy poetics and George's Indian influence.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »

Well, as I posted before, a long time ago I didn't care much for "Dear Prudence."  For some reason that changed and I like it now.

Actually, another song that made no sense to me was "Birthday."  I couldn't understand why the Beatles wrote something like that.  Was it Paul's composition?

Now, I kind of like it.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 93 queries.