Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Most Overrated Guitarist?  (Read 9978 times)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Most Overrated Guitarist?
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:24:42 PM »

Ritchie Blackmore.
All You Need Is LOVE!

lennon-legend

• Getting Better
  • Imagine...
Re: Most Overrated Guitarist?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »

The Edge, Kurt Cobain, Angus Young

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »

Kurt Cobain. He's in almost every 'best guitarists of all time' list and he definately doesn't belong there.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:46:42 PM »

John Lennon

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
John Lennon

Was Lennon especially rated as a guitarist?

Someone I knew once said that Blackmore was good for just 'showing' what the electric guitar was about. I kind of know what he meant.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple
Was Lennon especially rated as a guitarist?

By himself?  ??) ;D

"How do you rate yourself as a guitarist?

LENNON: Well, it depends on what kind of guitarist. I'm okay; I'm not technically good, but I can make it f***ing howl and move. I was rhythm guitarist. It's an important job. I can make a band drive.

How do you rate George?

LENNON: He's pretty good [laughs]. I prefer myself. I have to be honest, you know. I'm really very embarrassed about my guitar playing, in one way, because it's very poor; I can never move, but I can make a guitar speak. I think there's a guy called Ritchie Valens, no, Richie Havens. Does he play very strange guitar? He's a black guy that was in a concert and sang "Strawberry Fields'' or something. He plays, like, one chord all the time. He plays a pretty funky guitar. But he doesn't seem to be able to play in the real terms at all. I'm like that. Yoko has made me feel cocky about my guitar. You see, one part of me says, "Yes, of course I can play,'' because I can make a rock move, you know? But the other part of me says, ``Well, I wish I could just do like B.B. King.'' If you would put me with B.B. King, I would feel real silly. I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring you something out of it."

An excerpt from his THE ROLLING STONE INTERVIEW - 1971 by JANN S. WENNER

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 06:17:12 PM »

Quote from: raxo
How do you rate George?

LENNON: He's pretty good [laughs]. I prefer myself. I have to be honest, you know.

Dream on, Johnny...  ::) ;D

Best guitarist in the Beatles:

1. George

2. John and Paul

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:18:39 PM »

Paul was probably better than John too.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
Paul was probably better than John too.

Agree ... and he demostrated it playing the guitar solo on (among some others) Taxman, Ticket To ride, Good Morning Good Morning and Another Girl.

I could even say that better than George ... at some technical matters of playing and he was more inventive.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »

I don't think Paul's better than George. I think that George was technically better and had a more recognizable style. Paul never had a unique style, George kind of had.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

Quote from: lennon_legend
The Edge, Kurt Cobain, Angus Young

I'm gonna say that (being the U2 fan that I am) The Edge is pretty decent guitarist. overrated? nah, ive never even seen him nominated as a great guitarist.

Cobain on the other hand...hes a load of crap.

never heard angus young, so i cant make a justified answer.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 11:05:14 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
I don't think Paul's better than George. I think that George was technically better and had a more recognizable style. Paul never had a unique style, George kind of had.

Are we talking about guitar solos or about guitarist role?

Paul on acoustic guitar is defenitely "technically better" than George (playing one acoustic guitar you demostrate how good you're playing the guitar)

... and I too think George "had a more recognizable style" ... I'd also say an unique style ... but that's all: his style and nothing else ... sitar, slide and his soul is what he'd got ... and it was enough (I love George's work) however Paul's solos (with the guys) are in general more inventive (Paul also helped George a lot ... working solos out).

And Paul "had a unique style" playing acoustic guitar in lots of ballads. For someone who played a bunch of solos in Guys' stuff is not too bad.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 12:51:20 AM »

Quote from: GreenApple
Ritchie Blackmore.

Have you ever listened to Deep Purple and Rainbow? Ritchie Blackmore is freakin great.

Most overrated,,,,i'm saying B.B. King. Sure he plays great blues solos (lots of people do), but when I learned that he couldnt sing and play at the same time, my perception of him changed.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 08:05:19 AM »

Quote from: somedude210
I'm gonna say that (being the U2 fan that I am) The Edge is pretty decent guitarist.  

Decent: yes, but I can see how some people find it annoying that he's been milking the same couple of tricks for the past 25 years.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 03:01:06 AM »

Mark Knopfler - yawn Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »

Quote from: raxo
[ ... ]
"How do you rate yourself as a guitarist?

LENNON: Well, it depends on what kind of guitarist. I'm okay; I'm not technically good, but I can make it f***ing howl and move. I was rhythm guitarist. It's an important job. I can make a band drive.

How do you rate George?

LENNON: He's pretty good [laughs]. I prefer myself. I have to be honest, you know. [ ... ]

An excerpt from his THE ROLLING STONE INTERVIEW - 1971 by JANN S. WENNER

Well, Im 'currently listening to ...' an outtake of Crippled Inside (take 17) from his Imagine album with George playing the guitar and it's a boring guitar (not guitar solo arranged yet) ... but the matter here is why did you invite George some months later to play on some of your songs in that album if you prefer your shelf as guitarist? ... 'cos George was very successful by that time, uh, John?  ::) ... or you were not saying -once again- what you was really thinking?  :-/

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:47 PM »

The Edge....U2 are the most overrated rock band in history & their guitarist is alright, but nothing special.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

agreed.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 03:00:47 AM »

Quote from: 360
Mark Knopfler - yawn Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have to admit that Knopfler gets a little noodley.  And I still don't understand why "The Sultans of Swing" is all about this poor horn band getting passed over for rockers--and there are no horns in the song!  

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 03:06:14 AM »

Quote from: 395
The Edge....U2 are the most overrated rock band in history & their guitarist is alright, but nothing special.

there are plenty more "overrated" rock bands out there. at least U2 is productive in their off time. and for one guitarist, the edge does do an impressive job. but i dont want to get into a p*ssing match over whether U2 is great or not with you. i should also note that the edge never took actual lessons until 92 i believe, well into the whole U2 career thing.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 77 queries.