Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Experimental Albums  (Read 3695 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Experimental Albums
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »

Quote from: 1161
If I remember correctly, "Life With The Lions" was released on a short-lived Apple subsidiary label called Zapple, the premise of which was that it was meant to be a sort of a "paperback records" concept which would consist of reduced price releases intended to be listened to once and then (appropriately) thrown away.

Never heard that before. I wonder how George felt about Electronic Sounds being issued on Zapple?

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »

why do you say that?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Quote from: 625
why do you say that?

Well, I've never heard it, but I doubt that George would have gone to the trouble of making a record, in order for it to be listened to once, and then thrown away.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »

its just him messing with a moog synth. It doesnt have any proper songs or anything, its just doodling so i guess he didnt think it was ever going to be a classic or anything. Zapple fodder for sure

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 04:09:35 AM »

Quote from: 483

Well, I've never heard it, but I doubt that George would have gone to the trouble of making a record, in order for it to be listened to once, and then thrown away.

Touche... "thrown away" was a lousy choice of words. What I was trying to get at was the idea that Zapple was intended to be a vehicle for odd or out of the mainstream recordings. I seem to recall reading somewhere that somebody said ( as a joke?) that Zapple releases were like paperback books and meant to be listened to once and  thrown out. But I could have it muddled up with something else, and anyway all that's too ludicrously vague. Lennon, for one, took "Life With The Lions" seriously; he was quite put out that Apple's publicity department didn't get behind that album the way it did the label's other releases that spring- that is, if I'm recalling that correctly either!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 10:19:36 AM »

Quote from: 1161
Lennon, for one, took "Life With The Lions" seriously; he was quite put out that Apple's publicity department didn't get behind that album the way it did the label's other releases that spring- that is, if I'm recalling that correctly either!

I think that just goes to show his inexperience in the at field, and his naivety. I'm not sure what else Apple were releasing at the time, Billy Preston? Delaney and Bonnie?, but I'm pretty sure they had far better things to spend their resources on than pushing a fairly amateurish Avant Garde record, who's sales - regardless of publicity - were going to be about a third of their previous efforts - Two Virgins.

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »

Personally, I love John's experimental work.  Life With The Lions amazes me.  I never understood how so many can say the "love" john Lennon, and then proceed to completely disrespect HIM by saying bad things about his wife and soul mate.  I'm not suggesting that one has to enjoy Ono's music (and she does have some very nice records like "Aprox. Infin. Universe"), but to completely vandalize her name just shows no respect for either Lennon, or his life choices.

Two Virgins, Life With The Lions, Wedding Album, and LPIT are amazing records.  Too bad many of you just don't get it.
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 01:59:47 PM »

i love the way John had the guts to release those albums, i'll give him that.  ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

Quote from: 1319
Personally, I love John's experimental work.  Life With The Lions amazes me.  I never understood how so many can say the "love" john Lennon, and then proceed to completely disrespect HIM by saying bad things about his wife and soul mate.  I'm not suggesting that one has to enjoy Ono's music (and she does have some very nice records like "Aprox. Infin. Universe"), but to completely vandalize her name just shows no respect for either Lennon, or his life choices.

Two Virgins, Life With The Lions, Wedding Album, and LPIT are amazing records.  Too bad many of you just don't get it.

Not going to lie, I used to be one who would trash her at any avaliable moment, but then I grew up and realized, John was one of the strongest beatles, and he wasn't about to let anyone, even a woman talk him into something he didn't already want. So I had to face fact, that they were just simply in love, and soulmates. Looking at them now give me the hope that soulmates are real and I have found mine.  I always thought that she just didn't want him out of her sight so she could control his every move. But now I realize she loved him so much she just always wanted to feel him near her. She felt complete around him, and once you have gotten a taste of feeling that way you never want to be without it. I finally get her. And I am truly sorry that I said horrible things about her, it wasn't fair. I have respect for her, but no knowledge of her music to make comment. Maybe I should check her out... any suggestions??
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 01:16:02 AM »

Wow, awesome response,  in the interest of staying on-topic I'll direct you to this thread I created...

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1209943344/s-new/#num1
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

BlueMeanie

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 01:21:44 AM »

Quote from: 1247
John was one of the strongest beatles,

Wow! Where did you get that from?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »

Quote from: 1247

. Looking at them now give me the hope that soulmates are real and I have found mine.  I always thought that she just didn't want him out of her sight so she could control his every move. But now I realize she loved him so much she just always wanted to feel him near her. She felt complete around him,
Sorry - but if these two are examples of soulmates I hope I never find mine. The facts are that she shacked John up with May Pang fot two years and he continued seeing her well after the "reconcilliation." We know Yoko was seeing her Europewan gentleman long before John died. That's not even going near the constant rumours of John's homosexual daliances. Almost every person who visited the Lennon household tells the same tale of a dominant Yoko and a compliant John. (and this is not an anti Yoko thing - John was as much to blame as her).
She made him complete? Is that why she sold him off to a concubine when she couldn't stand his whining anymore?

don't follow leaders

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 02:53:51 AM »

I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully. I saw them as soul mates when they first got together. I should have said "Intensely infatuated." I just saw it as when they first got together they were so into each other they wanted to be around the other constantly. I would like to assume their love was genuine for at least a while, but I do tend to live in fairy tale land. I do reserve the right to be wrong.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 03:36:11 AM »

If you want an example of a "healthy" Beatle relationship, I'd look more to Paul and Linda. John and Yoko were just way too far out there. The both seemed to feed into each others narcissistic tendencies when they hooked up. Too self absorbed. In my opinion. I always find the line: "I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality" a bit off putting. Yet it seems to convey where he was coming from at that time perfectly. Codependent.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 71 queries.