Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?  (Read 9400 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 04:59:33 AM »

Quote from: 713
I mean, it's a shame to have the Blue one on a 2-CD beautifully blued-painted box set (I said that right?), while the Red one is on the standard jewel case.  

I suspect the Red Album was released as a double so that it would be uniform with the Blue set. But why not give people their money's worth and add more tracks? Maybe it should have been released as a single 3-disc set with a few extras thrown in. The Rolling Stones' The London Years might have been a model here.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

I voted Red+Blue--partly because they were the albums that introduced me to the Beatles' music, but also because I think they hold a better collection of the Beatles' songs.  I first saw the "1" CD in my friend's car a few years back, and after I glanced over the track listing, I just thought that it was really lacking.  But that's just me because I'm a nutty fan (and, needless to say, I let my friend borrow all my Beatles CD's so he could see other great songs he was missing out on).  No disrespect intended towards "1" fans, though!

It's funny that I'm hearing people say that they've listened to the Red album over and over and over.  I first got that album from my mom for Christmas (who wasn't really thrilled with my Beatles obsession at first, but she soon learned to tolerate it).  I listened to that album almost 24/7, basically to the point where my mom would start giving me worried looks.  I guess she couldn't really understand why I was always glued to my radio at that time.   ;D  I really loved that thing, though.  I haven't listened to it in years since getting all the Beatles' albums in full, but just thinking about the Red album brings back nice memories of growing up.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

Quote from: 185

If I could be bothered I'd love to make a little compilation of Beatle country songs. Opening with "What Goes on" which I really quite like. And a rare congratulations to George for his fine guitar work. It really suited him.
I think too it's something a tribute band could mine. (especially since everything else seems to be taken.)

I really quite like the song, I think the harmonies (3 part + lead vocal?) are outstanding!

I must say thought that I have always been disappointed in George's playing on this song. It seems quite sloppy, like he kind of knew what he wanted to play, but hadn't really quite figured it out yet. More like a backing on a demo track IMO. He did better rockabilly guitar on any number of the songs on "Beatles at the Beeb". Just my 2c, from someone who likes George's rockabilly guitar in general!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »

The "Red" album was my very first Beatles' album I ever bought in 1975? I think.  But if given the choice between the three of them, it has to be the "1" cd as in it's all their number one hits.

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 03:12:46 AM »

The Red and Blue album for me.  i think it's worth the investment.  '1' misses out on gems like "Here Comes the Sun," "In My Life," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Revolution," and "A Day in the Life," among others.

I do agree that it is a pity that what they could have fit into almost 2 CDs, they sold on 4.  I think a new 2CD career-spanning compilation would be a great introduction for fans...one that includes, as mentioned, a number of songs that were not included on the Red and Blue albums.

It might even be neat to include as a selling feature a Beatles version of "Now and Then."

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »

Hmmm
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

I personally think that the 1 album in better, because that's the first album I ever listened to and it made me obsessed. I also think it does better as far as the way it's compiled, I thought the Red and Blue albums were missing a lot of stuff. Everything on them is of course great, don't get me wrong. But the Red album has only Eight Days a Week from Beatles For Sale and only two songs off of Revolver, and they're #1 hits anyway. Revolver has a lot more great stuff on it that should be included. Not much from the White album on the Blue album, either.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

Quote from: 614
the Red and Blue albums, along with the ameican Rock n Roll compilations were the first beatles albums i owned!  :)

Me too!!!
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »

Quote from: 766

Me too!!!

(clap)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »

I prefer the Red and Blue albums because you can't tell the whole Beatles history only with #1 singles. "Norwegian Wood", "Nowhere Man", "Michelle", "In My Life", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "I Am The Walrus", "Revolution", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Here Comes The Sun", all these songs are very essential. But the Red and Blue albums were better as vinyl records, I think they should have tried something different with CDs; maybe two disks with 40 songs instead of 4 disks with 54 songs.

About "1", I think it would have been much better with "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" instead of "Eight Days A Week" and "The Long And Winding Road", and more interesting if they had used the original mono mixes. The title of the record could have simply been "The Beatles Singles" (plus "Yesterday").
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

i prefer R + B as it got me through my long days dogging it in comet  :) :) :) my first taste of the beats
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 71 queries.