Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: R.I.P. Cilla Black  (Read 12408 times)

KelMar

R.I.P. Cilla Black
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »

Bobber

Re: R.I.P. Cilla Black
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

A very sad loss indeed.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

Very sad.  RIP Cil

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »

! No longer available
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:29:36 AM »

^

Recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

She'll be missed.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »

From Wogblog:

Cilla and The Beatles

Cilla Black, 1943-2015

Cilla Black was born Priscilla Maria Veronica White in Liverpool, England, on 27 May 1943 and grew up in the Scotland Road area of the city. Her parents were John Patrick White and Priscilla Blythen. Black had a Welsh grandfather, Joseph Henry Blythen, who was born in Wrexham, Wales, and Irish great-grandparents on her father's and mother's side of the family. She was raised in a Roman Catholic household, and attended St. Anthony's School, which was behind St. Anthony's Church in Scotland Road, and Anfield Commercial College, where she studied Shipping Management.

The Cavern Club
Determined to become an entertainer, Black gained a part-time job as a cloakroom attendant at Liverpool's Cavern Club. Despite this being a widespread story, other Liverpudlians claim they never saw her attending the cloakroom at the Cavern Club, but rather at another club in Liverpool called The Iron Door.

Her impromptu performances impressed the Beatles and others. She was encouraged to begin singing by Liverpool promoter, Sam Leach, who booked her first gig at the Casanova Club, where she appeared as "Swinging Cilla". Black became a guest singer with the Merseybeat bands Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes and, later, with the Big Three. Meanwhile, she worked as a waitress at the Zodiac coffee lounge, where she later met her future husband Bobby Willis. Black was featured in an article in the first edition of the local music newspaper Mersey Beat by the paper's publisher, Bill Harry, who mistakenly referred to her as Cilla Black. She liked the name more, and took it as her stage name.

Cilla signed her first contract with long-time friend and neighbour, Terry McCann, but this contract was never honoured as it was signed when she was under age (the age of majority was then 21) and her father subsequently signed her with Brian Epstein.

Audition for Epstein, backed by The Beatles
Epstein had a portfolio of local artists. At first, he showed little interest in Black. She was introduced to Epstein by John Lennon, who persuaded him to audition her. Her first audition was a failure, partly because of nerves, and partly because the Beatles (who supported her) played the songs in their vocal key rather than re-pitching them for Black's voice. In her autobiography "What's It All About?" she wrote:

"I'd chosen to do "Summertime", but at the very last moment I wished I hadn't. I adored this song, and had sung it when I came to Birkenhead with the Big Three, but I hadn't rehearsed it with the Beatles and it had just occurred to me that they would play it in the wrong key. It was too late for second thoughts, though. With one last wicked wink at me, John set the group off playing. I'd been right to worry. The music was not in my key and any adjustments that the boys were now trying to make were too late to save me. My voice sounded awful. Destroyed - and wanting to die - I struggled on to the end".

Recording with George Martin
But after seeing her another day, at the Blue Angel jazz club, Epstein contracted with Black as his only female client on 6 September 1963. Epstein introduced Cilla to George Martin who signed her to Parlophone Records and produced her début single, "Love of the Loved" (written by Lennon and McCartney), which was released only three weeks after she contracted with Epstein. Despite an appearance on ABC-TV's popular Thank Your Lucky Stars, the single peaked at a modest No. 35 in the UK, a relative failure compared to début releases of Epstein's most successful artists (the Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas). She joined The Beatles for their 1963 Christmas Show lineup.

Love of The Loved

"Love of The Loved" Parlophone R5065

"Love of the Loved" is a song written mainly by Paul McCartney, credited to Lennon–McCartney. It is one of his earliest compositions and featured in the Beatles live act in their early days. The group recorded the song at their 1962 audition for Decca Records, but never issued it on any of their official releases. The Beatles audition version was left off Anthology 1, even though the other Lennon–McCartney originals from the same session, "Hello Little Girl" and "Like Dreamers Do", were included. Cilla Black recorded it for her debut single, which was produced by George Martin. It was not a big hit for her, reaching #35 on the UK Singles Chart.

Black's second single, released at the beginning of 1964, was a cover of the Burt Bacharach–Hal David composition "Anyone Who Had a Heart", which had been written for Dionne Warwick. The single beat Warwick's recording into the UK charts and rose to No. 1 in Britain in February 1964 (spending 3 weeks there), selling 800,000 copies in the UK in the process. Her second UK No. 1 success, "You're My World", was an English-language rendition of the Italian popular song "Il Mio Mondo". She also enjoyed chart success with the song in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa and Canada. Both songs sold over one million copies worldwide, and were awarded gold discs.

It's For You

A Spanish EP featuring "It's For You" as the title track.

Black's two No. 1 successes were followed by the release of another Lennon–McCartney composition, "It's for You", as her fourth UK single. Paul McCartney played piano at the recording session and the song proved to be another major international success for Black, peaking at No. 7 on the UK charts.Paul McCartney, who had been present at Abbey Road Studios when Cilla Black had recorded her breakthrough hit "Anyone Who Had a Heart", had written "It's for You" with John Lennon using "Anyone Who Had a Heart" as the model although Black herself has opined: "For my money, ['It's for You'] is nothing like the 'Anyone...' composition."

On 3 June 1964 McCartney cut a demo of "It's for You" to give to Black and producer George Martin. Black recorded the song at Abbey Road Studios that 2 July with Martin producing the session and she would recall: "That was some session...John [Lennon] and Paul [McCartney] joined me and George Martin. We made one track and then everyone had a go at suggesting how they thought it should be recorded. George said it should be one way, John and Paul another and I just added my suggestions while they were thinking of what else they could do with the composition."

Having Black, well publicized as an associate of the Beatles, record a Lennon–McCartney tune did not result in the anticipated smash hit: "It's for You" followed Black's back-to-back #1 hits: "Anyone Who Had a Heart" and "You're My World", into the Top Ten but remained there for only two weeks - 29 August and 5 September 1964 - at #8 and #7.

After the death of Brian Epstein, Cilla's partner and songwriter Bobby Willis took over the management duties.

Step Inside Love

In late 1967 McCartney was approached to write the theme for Cilla's new variety show on BBC Television, "Cilla". He recorded the original demo version at his London home, accompanying himself on guitar. The theme song  consisted of just one verse and the chorus.

Cilla's recording of this short song was used as the theme during the early weeks of the show, until it was decided that the song needed an additional verse, so McCartney came to the BBC Theatre and wrote it there. According to Hurll, the opening line of the second verse ("You look tired, love") came from McCartney's observation of Cilla looking tired from the long rehearsals for the TV show. McCartney then added a third verse and this version was recorded as a studio demo at Chappell Studios in London on 21 November 1967, with McCartney on guitar accompanying Cilla on vocals. This demo was the basis for the single, although where the McCartney demos were recorded in the key of D, the final arrangement of the single version was transposed up a fifth to G, to take advantage of Cilla's higher register.
McCartney recorded the song on 16 September 1968 during The Beatles (a.k.a. "The White Album") sessions, but it did not appear on the album. After ad libbing "Step Inside Love", McCartney led the group into "Los Paranoias", which (despite George Harrison not being present) was credited to all four members of the band. The two songs were released as a single CD track on Anthology 3 in 1996.

Paul and Cilla recording "Step Inside Love" Colourised EMI publicity photo.

The single version of the song (with Cilla singing live over the studio backing track) was premiered on 5 March 1968 edition of her show; the single was released on 8 March 1968, and reached number eight on the British charts in April 1968. The recording was also featured on Cilla's third solo studio album «Sher-oo!» Remixed club versions of Cilla's original 1960s vocal were released in 2009 on her album "Cilla All Mixed Up". An excerpt from the actual recording session with Paul, George Martin and Cilla can be heard as bonus material on the CD box set Cilla 1963-1973 The Abbey Road Decade.

Other Beatles covers
Cilla Black continued to record Lennon-McCartney compositions throughout the period (1963–1973) that she was under contract to EMI's Parlophone; Cilla's recordings of "Yesterday", "For No One" and "Across the Universe" became radio favourites. Paul McCartney said Cilla's 1972 interpretation of "The Long and Winding Road" represented for him how he always intended the song to be sung. She also recorded John Lennon's composition "Oh My Love".

With a little help from Ringo
On 6 February 1968, Ringo Starr made an appearance on Cilla Black's television show. On this occasion the other guests were comedian Spike Milligan and ventriloquist Peter Brough.

Ringo and Cilla, 1968.

Ringo appeared during the opening credits and in a number of skits. In the first, he assisted Cilla in sorting through her fan mail and introduced one of her singing performances, "I'm Playing Second Fiddle To A Football Team". A second sketch saw him interact with Peter Brough and performing with his own 'dummy', introduced as Ariadne but actually Cilla Black in a school uniform.

Ringo and Cilla duetted unaccompanied on the 1905 song "Nellie Dean" while he drank from a pint of beer, and finally they sang and danced to a 1917 song entitled "Do You Like Me?"

On October 1, 1970, Ringo Starr recorded his second appearance on Cilla Black's television show "Cilla". It was aired on BBC1 on February 13, 1971 and featured the two duetting on "Act Naturally".

https://youtu.be/Ik_BUKVrBsQ
Cilla and Ringo at Geilo in Norway. From the TV special "Cilla in Scandinavia"

A 1971 special, "Cilla in Scandinavia" saw Cilla team up with Ringo again for scenes filmed at the Geilo winter resort in Norway. During the show, Ringo performed "It Don't Come Easy" and duetted with Cilla and children's show character Basil Brush on "The Snowman Song".

At a Cannes Film Festival during the 1970s, Cilla joined George Harrison, Ringo Starr and glam-rock pop star Marc Bolan to attend a screening of the John Lennon-Yoko Ono experimental film "Erection". She also holidayed with them on this trip aboard a yacht chartered by Ringo. "Photograph" was written on this trip - originally intended for Cilla to record - but Ringo decided to record it himself. George Harrison also wrote two songs for Cilla - "The Light That Has Lighted The World" and "I'll Still Love You (When Every Song Is Sung)". The latter she recorded in 1974, but it was not heard publicly until 2003, when it surfaced on a retrospective collection entitled Cilla: The Best of 1963-78.

Later life
Along with a successful recording career in the 1960s and early 1970s, Cilla Black hosted her show, "Cilla", for the BBC between 1968 and 1976. After a brief time as a comedy actress in the mid-1970s, she became a prominent television presenter in the 1980s and 1990s, hosting hit entertainment shows such as "Blind Date" (1985–2003) and "Surprise Surprise" (1984–2001).

By actively supporting the Conservative Party during the Margareth Thatcher years, Cilla alienated herself somewhat from her working class roots in Liverpool, but later in life considered herself apolitical and no longer saw herself as conservative.

In 2013, Cilla celebrated her 50 years in show business. British television network ITV honoured this milestone with a one-off entertainment special which aired on 16 October 2013. The show, called "The One & Only Cilla Black", featured Cilla Black herself and was hosted by Paul O'Grady.

In 2014, Cilla Black was the subject of a three-part television drama series, "Cilla", focusing especially on her rise to fame in 1960s Liverpool and her relationship with Bobby Willis. ITV aired the first installment on 15 September 2014, starring BAFTA award-winning actress Sheridan Smith.

Cilla was married to her manager, Bobby Willis, for more than 30 years until he died from lung cancer on 23 October 1999. Black died at her holiday home near Marbella, Spain, on 1 August 2015.

Ringo Starr

@ringostarrmusic

I just heard the news Cilla black has left us she was a good friend we will all miss her peace to Cilla peace and love to the family R&B xxx
6:06 PM - 2 Aug 2015

1,095 1,095 Retweets

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »

So sad and so completely unexpected.

She won't get much respect from the vile British music press but it's hard to think of a personality in Britain more instantly recognisable to ALL the generations.

Her re-emergence in the 1980s as a (no, 'the') major prime time TV presenter must have surprised even her.

Remarkable life. To go from Liverpool in the 50s, as a woman especially, to where she got, in a sense even surpasses The Beatles' career.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »

Friend of mine who is an ex Searcher played in her backing band for all her theatre tours from 75 till the 80's (when she became a tv presenter) has told me what a lovely loving woman she was...........never the diva (like most stars), touring the world with someone for 7 years you really get to know them and there is the possibility that you end up hating each other but he is so upset, he grew to admire and love her for the warm loving down to earth working class girl she was.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »

That's a nice story Nim.

A few months ago they played a two part drama on Cilla on the Australian ABC. It really only dealt with her career up to the late 60s though.  It was quite fun to watch and, I think, reasonably accurate as these biopics go. Of main Beatle interest was that they portrayed ( in only short appearances) Lennon as a smooth, smart aleck upper class university type, rather than as a rebellious faux working class like most pics do.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:43:08 AM »

This one moog

wonder if our American cousins got it, it was excellent.

! No longer available
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »

That's the one. It was enjoyable.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »

Cilla and Gerry Marsden take the floor of the Cavern Club.

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »

^^^
How young he looks! That's a nice picture.

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »

From Freda Kelly: I am so shocked by the news of Cilla's sudden passing. She was a very bubbly person, very good with people, and she was great on a UK TV programme called 'Blind Date.' One of my favourite memories is of Cilla singing 'Fever.' That was her masterpiece around Liverpool even before Brian Epstein signed her. I also loved her singing 'Love of the Loved' by The Beatles. They used to sing this song at The Cavern.
I knew her from the Cavern Days. Her best friend, called Blonde Pat, was also a good friend of mine. Both of them used to go to Ringo's house often and Blonde Pat was an old girlfriend of Ritchie's. I stay in touch with Pat to this day. I knew Cilla's family well including her mother. The Beatles Press Officer Tony Barrow was Cilla's Press Officer for years. He was an extremely good friend of Cilla and her husband Bobby. My deepest sympathy to all of Cilla's family.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »

So sad and so completely unexpected.

She won't get much respect from the vile British music press but it's hard to think of a personality in Britain more instantly recognisable to ALL the generations.

Her re-emergence in the 1980s as a (no, 'the') major prime time TV presenter must have surprised even her.

Remarkable life. To go from Liverpool in the 50s, as a woman especially, to where she got, in a sense even surpasses The Beatles' career.

I read once somewhere someone's thoughts that one of the less positive aspects ofThe Beatles legacy, with it's premium on self composing bands, was that it condemned what was an awesome  generation of female singers - Cilla, Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Lulu - to Lite Entertainment/Eurovision Hell.
don't follow leaders

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »

I read once somewhere someone's thoughts that one of the less positive aspects ofThe Beatles legacy, with it's premium on self composing bands, was that it condemned what was an awesome  generation of female singers - Cilla, Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Lulu - to Lite Entertainment/Eurovision Hell.

Come off it Kev... we all know that "You Don't Have To Say You Love Anyone Who Had A Heart On A String That Goes Boom-Bang-A-Bang" was a collaborative classic!!  8)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »

Yep, Kevin, that was the career path, and it's one that Cliff Richard took as well.
Those acts were never guaranteed hit singles or albums (even Dusty had two late 60s 45s, both great, that did not chart in the UK) but they could pull in a huge TV audience.

The British music press HATE the middle-of-the-road and, Beatles aside, pantomime/light entertainment vehicles on Saturday night/comedy is/was enough to consign most of those acts into a little, peculiarly British, box marked 'uncool', where they've been ever since!

Personally, I've always found the uncool acts to be the ones who embody, and play to, a really small type of fan base....i.e. white males aged 15 to 28, so pretty much any NME approved act post-60s.

The most wonderful thing about The Beatles, in songs like 'When I'm 64', 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Goodnight, is they played to everybody.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »

Personally, I've always found the uncool acts to be the ones who embody, and play to, a really small type of fan base....i.e. white males aged 15 to 28, so pretty much any NME approved act post-60s.

The most wonderful thing about The Beatles, in songs like 'When I'm 64', 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Goodnight, is they played to everybody.
Yes, certainly attempts by anyone to brand what's cool or not then assuming that their idea of coolness is somehow superior to others presumptions to the extreme.
I know many people who would consider The Beatles all round appeal very uncool. But of course how could any such statement  be anything but subjective opinion swayed by their own prejudices and hang ups.
don't follow leaders

Page created in 1.227 seconds with 79 queries.