News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87558 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Books
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure at least one topic about books has already been started here, but since it(they) got lost, I decided to make a new one. So, discuss anything : favourite books, books you have read recently, books you are planning on reading, books you suggest to other members, etc.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »

"The Prestige" by Christopher Priest is one of my all time favourite books. Even though I'm no big reader, I read this one about a year ago and it was one of the few books that really "got me". You may have heard of the 2006 movie with the same name starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. The movie is wonderful, too. The book is about two magicians and their obsessions with becoming better than the other. It has a lot of twists, it's pretty clever and well-writen. Also, the plot is first seen through the eyes of one of the magicians and then from the other's. I liked the book a lot and I recommend it to those who haven't read it yet and/or enjoyed the movie.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »

Okay, this one's for the ladies in here!  If you like the 40s-60s, and you like The Beatles, you're gonna love this author!  She's a Liverpudlian called Maureen Lee who has written loads of books in a similar vein, mainly focusing upon life for mostly working class families in Liverpool during and after the war, and all the personal troubles they encounter.  She's had first hand experience of Liverpool, its music scenes and its struggles and triumphs, and her stories are often very involved, cover a long span of time and talk a lot about music, mentioning The Beatles a couple of times.  They tend to have a lot of romance involved, but what's most captivating is the growth of the characters and how war and personal struggles affect them.  It's also very cool because she describes Liverpool very closely physically, so you know what it was like to live there back then and where everything was down to the street.  If you like romance, Liverpool and times past, you'll like Maureen Lee's books.  :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »

Okay, this one's for the ladies in here!  If you like the 40s-60s, and you like The Beatles, you're gonna love this author!  She's a Liverpudlian called Maureen Lee

They sound like the kind of thing I'd like. I just searched and my library doesn't have any but there's quite a few on eBay. They are coming from the UK but with free shipping that doesn't matter. Thanks Shirli!

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

She certainly has brought out a lot, and she's still writing.  I've read quite a few, and they're a great way to pass the time, in fact I usually end up reading for too long after getting engrossed in the story and losing track of things!  Hence why I haven't ordered one recently since I have university deadlines   ha2ha

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »

This is a great thread! I read almost as much as I listen to music. Working in a library is perfect for me. I get paid to read when I work at the circulation desk, at least in between patrons  ;) Not Mondays though! It is so busy for those 3 1/2 hours that I never even sit down, let alone read. But I love seeing what everyone is reading and it's fun when people ask my opinion or for a recommendation.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »

This is a great thread! I read almost as much as I listen to music. Working in a library is perfect for me. I get paid to read when I work at the circulation desk, at least in between patrons  ;) Not Mondays though! It is so busy for those 3 1/2 hours that I never even sit down, let alone read. But I love seeing what everyone is reading and it's fun when people ask my opinion or for a recommendation.

I believe you my dear, that's why I call you the Beatleologist! In my opinion, you have to love to read in order to work in a library. Take care.

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »

Best book I have read is The Stranger by Albert Camus. If you didnt - you should !

@The 5th Beatle I have watched movie - it's great! Seems i will have to get book soon!

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

I'm reading Kids by Patti Smith at the moment  :) so far it's wonderful! I've always thought Patti Smith is a wonderful poet and this book proves it, it's definitely one of those books that you just can't put down. I'm also reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, it really makes you think...

Best book I have read is The Stranger by Albert Camus. If you didnt - you should !

I've been wanting to read that book for ages! I'll have to put it on my Christmas list  :)
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 03:23:02 AM »

I just received my book GOODBYE NATALIE GOODBYE SPLENDOUR by Marti Rulli with Dennis Davern in the mail today. As we all know, the NATALIE WOOD case has been reopened. Evidently, this book played a very vital role as to why the NATALIE WOOD case has been reopened. NATALIE WOOD died off the coast of Catalina Island on 29 November 1981 at the age of 43. No one really knows what happened on that night until now!   

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »

Wow what a great thread! I'm going to have to look up The Prestige and those Maureen Lee books.

Kelley, you are SO lucky to work in a library. That (or Barnes & Noble) would be my dream job! As it is, I'm an editor, so I do get to read, but some of the topics are pretty dry.

I myself love anything and everything by Sophie Kinsella/Madeleine Wickham, author of the Shopaholic series and a lot of other good books besides.  :)

Lately I've been so down I've been rereading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser and having awful visions of me as the character George Hurstwood.  :(    My lifely lately certainly seems to be patterned after his.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »

Wow what a great thread! I'm going to have to look up The Prestige and those Maureen Lee books.

Kelley, you are SO lucky to work in a library. That (or Barnes & Noble) would be my dream job! As it is, I'm an editor, so I do get to read, but some of the topics are pretty dry.

I myself love anything and everything by Sophie Kinsella/Madeleine Wickham, author of the Shopaholic series and a lot of other good books besides.  :)

Lately I've been so down I've been rereading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser and having awful visions of me as the character George Hurstwood.  :(    My lifely lately certainly seems to be patterned after his.

Hi Normandie! How are you? So...you're an Editor? Right on, you and Kelley are around books all day, I wish that I was too. Although, I would be noisy in the library since my voice is loud and can be heard everywhere.  ha2ha I love going to Barnes & Noble, I love checking out the latest books and magazines. Too bad that Borders is gone, I used to love going over there also. Take care my dear.

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

Kelley, you are SO lucky to work in a library.

Funny you should say that because I've always thought that your job would be great to have! What I'd really like to do is be a freelance writer for magazines. I have no idea how any of that works but I had a story used in Reminisce magazine once and that was so exciting. They sent me extra copies and a little red '57 Chevy.  ha2ha

Lately I've been so down I've been rereading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser and having awful visions of me as the character George Hurstwood

I think you'd better stick to Sophie! Or how about Janet Evanovich? Stephanie Plum sounds like a good role model for you right now. Whenever I see my daughter's Sylvia Plath laying around I know it's time to have a talk with her!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:08:14 PM by In My Life »

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »

I read a good book not too long ago, "I Think I Love You" by Allison Pearson:

"Petra and Sharon, two thirteen-year-old girls, are both desperately in love with a world-famous pop star. Together they pore over his photos, read his fan club letters, and even enter a contest whose winners will meet him in person.

Twenty years later, Petra is pushing forty, on the brink of divorce, and fighting with her own thirteen-year-old daughter when she is given the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to meet the teen idol she loved so long ago. A moving tale of friendship and celebrity, I Think I Love You perfectly captures the intensity of first love—a love that never entirely goes away."

Of course the world famous pop star is David Cassidy. I wasn't sure what to expect from this. It had the potential to be very sappy but it wasn't. David Cassidy was really just a vehicle for the author to tell a very entertaining story about friendships and mother/daughter relationships. I guess it's really one for us girls. I had it on the desk at work and one of my co-workers did a double take when she saw the title. She asked if it was about David Cassidy and when I told her it was she tranformed back into a 13 year old girl before my very eyes! it was cute to hear her go on about him.  :)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »

I read a good book not too long ago, "I Think I Love You" by Allison Pearson:

"Petra and Sharon, two thirteen-year-old girls, are both desperately in love with a world-famous pop star. Together they pore over his photos, read his fan club letters, and even enter a contest whose winners will meet him in person.

Twenty years later, Petra is pushing forty, on the brink of divorce, and fighting with her own thirteen-year-old daughter when she is given the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to meet the teen idol she loved so long ago. A moving tale of friendship and celebrity, I Think I Love You perfectly captures the intensity of first love—a love that never entirely goes away."

Of course the world famous pop star is David Cassidy. I wasn't sure what to expect from this. It had the potential to be very sappy but it wasn't. David Cassidy was really just a vehicle for the author to tell a very entertaining story about friendships and mother/daughter relationships. I guess it's really one for us girls. I had it on the desk at work and one of my co-workers did a double take when she saw the title. She asked if it was about David Cassidy and when I told her it was she tranformed back into a 13 year old girl before my very eyes! it was cute to hear her go on about him.  :)

Hi In My Life! I remember reading and hearing about this book. I also read that the book was very interesting. There were two movies that were made about THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, COME ON GET HAPPY and THE DAVID CASSIDY STORY, I own both of them and they are both pretty good. Years later, there has been so much publicity on THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY that the show is now considered a cult classic.

Did Petra and Sharon meet DAVID CASSIDY years later? In my opinion, DAVID CASSIDY will always be one of the all-time greatest Teen Idols ever! Take care.

KelMar

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 05:57:48 AM »

Did Petra and Sharon meet DAVID CASSIDY years later?

I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »

That book I Think I Love You sounds really great, Kelley. The protagonist certainly sounds like me: pushing 40 (well, 43 for me!), getting divorced (UGH), and with a 13-year-old daughter (and I have a 14-year-old one, too -- oh, the hormones!  ;)   ).

I've seen Janet Evanovich's books around, as well as Stephanie Plum's. I'll have to check them out. I definitely need to stick to something more upbeat then Theodore Dreiser. (Hm, that gets me thinking of a list of classic books I should definitely avoid: The Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle, The Bell Jar [!!] .....)

I read a fun book awhile ago called Hope In a Jar -- I'm drawing a blank on the author right now, but it was a fun, "fluffy" read.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:27:53 PM by Normandie »

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »

I read a fun book awhile ago called Hope In a Jar -- I'm drawing a blank on the author right now, but it was a fun, "fluffy" read.

We don't have this but I just ordered it on interlibrary loan. I think I'll like it; I was well acquainted Love's Baby Soft, Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific and watermelon Lip Smackers myself.  :) You might like the Miss Julia books. http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Julia-Speaks-Her-Mind/dp/0688177751/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323836450&sr=1-2 I literally LOL when I read these!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »

LOL -- I remember Love's Baby Soft and Watermelon Lip Smackers very well, too! Looking back, I'm not sure why on earth I ever wore Love's Baby Soft: If I recall correctly, it had a sickly-sweet scent.  :P

Those items bring back fond memories, though!  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Page created in 0.9 seconds with 77 queries.