Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Original Pepper Running Order  (Read 3351 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
Original Pepper Running Order
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »

Sorry if I am repeating a thread, I tried looking. I just wanted to express my opinion that I like the "Original" running order of Sgt. Pepper, that is, how it was first conceived to run. For some reason, the whole album made more sense as a whole, and in context to the other tracks. I guess I am an oddball, but I should hope that all should try it at least once-

1.Sgt Pepper
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Original Pepper Running Order
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:26:34 AM »

^ Just out of curiosity, where would you put "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane?" I think George Martin has said that he would have dropped "When I'm 64" and Lovely Rita" to make room for them if they hadn't been released as a single. They would make sense following "Within You, Without You" I suppose.  :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »

Quote from: 1161
I think George Martin has said that he would have dropped "When I'm 64" and Lovely Rita" to make room for them.  :)

(shakehead2)

And what would have become of those songs??

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »

Quote from: 216

(shakehead2)

Chuck em on the White Album. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:05:06 AM »

(shakehead2)

I think they'd both have been perfect for Magical Mystery Tour. Actually, I'd leave Lovely Rita on there. But I've never been a fan of McCartney's vaudeville stuff. I'd take Good Morning, Good Morning off ahead of Lovely Rita.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »

I'd leave "Lovely Rita" on, too. "When I'm 64" could have gone out as a B-side, or on Magical Mystery Tour or Yellow Submarine.  :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »

Quote from: 483

I think they'd both have been perfect for Magical Mystery Tour. Actually, I'd leave Lovely Rita on there. But I've never been a fan of McCartney's vaudeville stuff. I'd take Good Morning, Good Morning off ahead of Lovely Rita.
I know a lot of people don't like it, but I'm glad he did stuff like that. It's one of the things that make them stand out from all other bands. They pretty much hit every genre you could think of. Plus, I think it's a catchy tune. Maybe because I'm used to hearing it in the context of watching The Yellow Submarine. That might have made me appreciate it more. But I do enjoy it. Anyway, I'm glad they didn't throw stuff like that away. They wouldn't be as prolific otherwise. Not just talking about that song here, but all the other ones most bands would think uncool or too out there.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

Quote from: 15

Chuck em on the White Album. lol
Hey, The White Album is pretty much a blueprint of what was to come. So actually, that's not a bad idea!  ;)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

I know a lot of people don't like it, but I'm glad he did stuff like that. It's one of the things that make them stand out from all other bands. They pretty much hit every genre you could think of.

Me, too: "Honey Pie" and "Baby's Request" are two of my McCartney favorites.  :)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »

I've hardly ever noticed or took an interest in the ordering of songs on albums as ive always seen them as just single songs and not a collective.

i think the only time i may have thought about it is the abbey road order and thats only because i can see the connection between " You never give me youre money " and "Golden slumbers" as  both songs have the same chords and "Golden slumbers" uses a section from "You never give me youre money" so i always thought they should be back to back.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

I stil think though, the album should close with A Day in the Life or at least Sgt P reprise... give it a nice ending feeling , which is not what you get from She's Leaving Home, I would say.

When I'm 64 could perhaps go on  MMT but I think it would have been better on Yellow Sub. Infact it would have made sense to me to put most of the songs from the Yellow Sub movie on the Yellow Sub album. But that's just me I guess.  :-/

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane would definately fit on the Sgt P album, I reckon.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »

im glad strawberry fields and penny lane were not on pepper.i admit,that they wouldve fitted in nicely but its such a special single,it seems nice to be on its own.im not sure when baby,youre a rich man was recorded,off hand,but maybe that wouldve fit on pepper,perhaps,b side or not.am i making sense ? probably not.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:04:28 PM »

As to Geoff's question, I just don't feel I could put SFF or Penny Lane on the album. In my mind, I think that if it had not been rushed out as a single, The Beatles might have produced even higher calibre material, not that what is already there is bad, its just somehow I feel that SFF and Penny Lane are a bit more sublime to me, then again, I might just be biased because its the leap into the full psychedelia of 1967 with their outstanding Promo films. I will try not to bring up the much lauded "Carnival Of Light" either, as it could be bust or blessing. I know there was already a alternate song listing thread, so I will try to keep it just on alternate running order.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:36 AM »

Quote from: 1309
I will try not to bring up the much lauded "Carnival Of Light" either, as it could be bust or blessing.

I'd be willing to bet "bust." Think of "What's the New Mary Jane?" It does have a bit of a mystique about it because no-one apart from the Beatles or Abbey Road's engineers has heard it since it was played at The Roundhouse in early 1967, but Mark Lewisohn's description of it suggests it was mostly a lot of noise improvised on the spot with the tape machine running.

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 70 queries.